Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clocked Car alert

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 jdf

DeepBlue wrote:
    Seemingly clocking a car is not an offence :eek: - it's just knowingly selling a clocked car that's an offence.
    How does one prove that a dealer knew the car was clocked?

You don't need to prove that they knew - dealers are deemed to be experts and so should know. Claiming to not know is not a defence for a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Wow this is an unreal thread !

Glad that the OP spotted this.........well done !

I know exactly where these guys are, pass them every day !

I feel that Ted should do exactly what RubyRed asdvised, he's the only one here with the experience AND he asked a snior partner, thats pure 100% Solicitor advice..........free !

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

Seemingly clocking a car is not an offence

Of course clocking a car is not an offence, there are legal reasons to want to clock a car. The offence is in selling it with the clock mis-representing the true mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

MercMad wrote:
    Wow this is an unreal thread !

Word.

popcorn.gif

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

TedKelly wrote:
    Well no phonecall again today so looks like it'll be solicitor/consumer affairs route I'll be taken.

They were hoping you'd just quietly go away Ted. Time to go for the jugular my man! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

DeepBlue wrote:
    The first ten minutes of the Prime Time Investigates programme of December 2005 deal with clocking.

Would like to see that. I'm getting sound and some images. Is there a better link to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

So, any updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭paulie.walnuts

this is a great thread in so far as the garage have been caught out, awful situation for Ted, give them both barrels Ted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

V interesting thread.

Going back to the original post where they was also a discrepancy in the description of the car. I was checking my own car on hpicheck after reading this thread. I got a bit of a shock when i inputted the old NI reg (got it from my Vehicle Licensing Cert) of my car to find out it was a Ford Focus and not the Nissan Almera I thought it was:rolleyes: By chance I had photocopied the form I had sent off to Shannon and realised that they had incorrectly entered the NI reg and the reg on this did match accordingly to an Almera on the hpicheck.

I know it seems unlikely that this happened in Ted's case since both cars are Passats but may be something to keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

lads, any sites like cartell.ie that wont cost me €25 smacks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

no.

why would they charge 25 euro if it was free somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

quarryman wrote:
    no.

why would they charge 25 euro if it was free somewhere else?

I... Dont, know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It just seems like a bit of a rip off for what little info you get.
    There may be a site in competition with them.
    But I don't think so. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

sorry for the bump, But Ted have you any updates for us on this....
    I need closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

sorry for the bump, But Ted have you any updates for us on this....
    I need closure.
    Yeh me too...what's the story?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

me three!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

me 4 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ye, it's been a while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I wanna know if we need to form a Lynch Mob, begs the pitch fork!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,759 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I reckon SIMI or whatever they are called have got to him.... watch your backs lads.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

i detect the faint smell of legal advice to not post anymore info here on the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭TedKelly

horgan_p wrote:
    i detect the faint smell of legal advice to not post anymore info here on the case

Not far off, I just didn't feel comfortable writing anything on here until the matter was resolved so apologies for not keeping yis updated.

Last Monday week I got in touch with a solicitor who informed me to look for a full refund within 7 days. I did ask about compensation but was told if I got a full refund within this time period to accept it (quick and painless were her words). Called garage (tues) and told them what i was looking for and went in to meet manager on wed. He told me he was selling the car on behalf of someone else and that he didn't check the car as he trusted them. Pissed me off that he would take absolutely no responsibility for selling a clocked car but they did give me a full refund.

Collected refund yesterday and immediatly picked up a new car (03 Mondeo) with FULL SERVICE HISTORY. It has a lot less milage than the passatt had and cost 1500 less. Although it's not as powerful as the passatt, it's very nice and I'm delighted with the purchase.

Would really like to thank the OP of this thread and without him I would have been left with a seriously dodgy car. Also thanks to all the boardsies for the help and advice. Delighted the whole thing is over and done with.

P.S. - Department of Consumer Affairs have been in touch with me to get the reg of the car and assure me they will investigate what's going on over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

Well done. Glad to hear you got it all sorted out. Best of luck with your new car.

Cheers bud

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nice one Ted. Delighted it worked out well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Brilliant Ted, peace of mind for you at last, and the satisfaction that you got what you deserved at last. Well done!

Thanks lads, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Nice to see a happy resolution.
    Best of luck with the Mondeo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Good for you Ted :)

Advertisement