Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Wrestling DVDs Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭jeffk

Anyone else get this?
    http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com/merch/dvd00SO.html

Got mine this morning,3 dvds over 9 hours around €13 including postage straight from PWG in 5 days :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

jeffk wrote: »
    Anyone else get this?
    http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com/merch/dvd00SO.html

Got mine this morning,3 dvds over 9 hours around €13 including postage straight from PWG in 5 days :D

I plan to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭jeffk

rovert wrote: »
    I plan to

Haven't looked @ it yet but ive heard rave reviews and after seeing some BOLA action i doubt its just internet hype.

Box is the same as the WSX boxset but has a much better disc holding device.Its like a little wheel/catch that holds them and of course class PWG artwork :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Well the Flair and 2 Bret DVDs arrived on friday (addressed to the credit card holder and not the recepient, well done Rob, as a result i didn't get them until Monday!) The Flair DVD is freakin' awesome and worth every cent just for the documentary alone.

Two weeks, not bad. Aparently they were waiting for 1 DVD to come back into stock.
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

The Flair DVD is freakin' awesome and worth every cent just for the documentary alone.
    !

I didn't really like the Flair documentary that much and I was really looking forward to it.

To me it came across as a total rush job in terms of producing it. Plus, I get that his career is a very hard thing to cover given how long it was but I still felt like the dvd breezed over alot of his career in little detail.

• Advertisement

I won't argue that, however a lot of the stuff was already covered on the original set too, so they weren't gonna focus too much on the likes of his feud with Harley, Dusty, Steamboat and his plane crash. It'd been done already.

I think it did a great job complimenting the first set.
    VR!

however a lot of the stuff was already covered on the original set too, so they weren't gonna focus too much on the likes of his feud with Harley, Dusty, Steamboat and his plane crash. It'd been done already.

I think it did a great job complimenting the first set.
    VR!

Alot of it was covered on the first dvd.

However if you're gonna do a documentary on Ric Flairs career, just do it right. 2 hours was not enough and how they used the 2 hours wasn't great either.

I would say buy the dvd for the matches though.

It depends on what you're into, i'm into the whole "All Killer, No Filler" as far as production. Take the ECW one for example. 2hrs 50minutes was waaaaay too long for a company that had two good years to it's credit.

I do see where you're coming from, it was a tad too condensed.
    VR!

I bought the Hardcore edition of Mick Foley's DVD cheap over the weekend after owning the original since it first came out. Im enjoying the commentary of Mick and Joey Styles very much on it. I forget how gruesome the Backlash 2004 match with Randy Orton was.

I just watched the Hero's of World Class dvd again. It had one powerful ending and really enjoyed watching it again.

• Advertisement

I just watched the Hero's of World Class dvd again. It had one powerful ending and really enjoyed watching it again.

+1
    It puts WWE's watered down Triumph & Tragedy of WCCW to shame, scary thing is that Kevin's production came out about two years beforehand.

Nobody ever said WWE were fast learners though.
    VR!

+1
    scary thing is that Kevin's production came out about two years beforehand.

Why is it scary?

I liked the WWE one too but you could tell Bryan Harrisons really put his heart into it.

Why is it scary?

I liked the WWE one too but you could tell Bryan Harrisons really put his heart into it.

It's scary the amount of detail that WWE leave out on their production, i know they tend to brush over bits and pieces, but they tried to picture Fritz Von Erich to be almost a saint in their production, when he was far from one.

VR!

they tried to picture Fritz Von Erich to be almost a saint in their production, when he was far from one.

I didn't think they did portray him in a good light at all.

They didn't go into as much detail as the Bryan Harrison one. However the end of the WWE documentary basically came to the conclusion that it was not bad luck that led to the deaths of all the sons. It was bad choices. And without saying it, that puts alot of responsibility on Fritz.

They didn't even need to say it. The people I watched it with, who knew nothing about this era really got the flawed nature of Fritz. One of the most powerful moments of the WWE documentary is Mike Von Erich after nearly dieing, brain completely fried cutting a promo for the next show, while in a scene earlier Fritz talks how is son "Will be a champion again". That's just so ****ed up.

Plus the WWE one showed the "heart attack" angle which really puts Fritz in a negative light that the Bryan Harrison one didn't.

In saying all that Fritz was a hard topic to approach for both documentary makers I'd imagine in that you have Kevin who loved him so much.

All in all, I'd recommend both documentaries.

They didn't even need to say it. The people I watched it with, who knew nothing about this era really got the flawed nature of Fritz. One of the most powerful moments of the WWE documentary is Mike Von Erich after nearly dieing, brain completely fried cutting a promo for the next show, while in a scene earlier Fritz talks how is son "Will be a champion again". That's just so ****ed up.

Plus the WWE one showed the "heart attack" angle which really puts Fritz in a negative light that the Bryan Harrison one didn't.

All in all, I'd recommend both documentaries.

WWE's one completely failed to mention Fritz pretty much telling Kevin that he might as well kill himself too. I believe Kevin touches on that on the Heroes Of World Class documentary.

But yeah, i'll agree, one documentary does definitely compliment the other, Heroes definitely fills in the gaps that WWE's one left.

VR!

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=65148&cat=13

Just a few dvds im selling if anyones intrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

WWE's one completely failed to mention Fritz pretty much telling Kevin that he might as well kill himself too. I believe Kevin touches on that on the Heroes Of World Class documentary.

VR!

Yeah, i found that one of the single most uncomfortable scenes i've ever watched in anything.

I loved the Heroes documentary, but having seen that, is the WWE version worth picking up then? I'm guessing from what you guys have said, it's a good show.

Yeah, i found that one of the single most uncomfortable scenes i've ever watched in anything.

I loved the Heroes documentary, but having seen that, is the WWE version worth picking up then? I'm guessing from what you guys have said, it's a good show.

Yeah, as i'd mentioned earlier, one compliments the other really well, and Heroes was out a good couple of years before WWE's production. Just expect it to be a little sugarcoated. However if you suffer from nervous disposition or sensitivity, You might want to brace yourself a little bit during the documentary.

The matches on the other hand... they could have been better picked as they weren't exactly WCCW's greatest achievements, especially disc 2.

If you can get it at a good price, then go for it. I wouldn't (and didn't) pay more than €20 for it.
    VR!

I loved the Heroes documentary, but having seen that, is the WWE version worth picking up then?

Yep definitely worth picking up. It covers some stuff the original documentary doesn't and has different contributors too in Michael Hayes, Ric Flair and Jim Ross.

Gary Hart to me, makes both documentaries and comes across very well on the WWE one. His death this year was sad.

Gary Hart to me, makes both documentaries and comes across very well on the WWE one. His death this year was sad.

At the risk of sounding like a total puss, but watching Gary Hart trying to talk about Gino Hernandez was heart wrenching. :(

VR!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

Gary Hart was such likeable guy in any interview i've seen too...

I'll hafta keep my eyes open for the WWE one then....

Wheres the best place to buy TNA dvds online?

I'll hafta keep my eyes open for the WWE one then....

It's available online at silvervision and it was in Tower Records above O'Connell Street as of yesterday.

Wheres the best place to buy TNA dvds online?

Highspots generally don't fail for me, they're quite fast too. Just don't buy more than three or four at a time though, you could get sprung on customs.

VR!
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I think my favourite wrestling DVD is the Monday Night Wars documentary.

I used to have the Benoit Hard Knocks DVD but after what happened last year, I couldn't stand to have it around so I got rid of it.

I also have the following DVD's

Jake the Snake
    Bret Hart
    WM 7 & 8 Tagged Classics
    WM 9 & 10 Tagged Classics
    Ultimate Ric Flair
    Wrestlemania Anthology (I think its WM 12-17)
    WM18
    WM19
    WM20
    WM21
    WM22
    WM24 Blu-Ray
    ECW One Night Stand
    Rise and Fall of ECW
    Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior
    Eddie Guererro
    McMahon
    Vengeance 2005
    Unforgiven 2006
    Unforgiven 2004
    WWE Confidential
    The Rock The Peoples Champ
    Stone Cold Truth
    Mick Foleys Greatest Hits and Misses
    Wrestling with Shadows
    The Four Horsemen

I want to buy WM24, and the new Ric Flair DVD set as it's containing one of those nice documentaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Highspots generally don't fail for me, they're quite fast too. Just don't buy more than three or four at a time though, you could get sprung on customs.

I'd say ROH's shop would be decent enough too, especially when they do one of their regular sales. They only seem to have the most recent TNA DVDs though, from the end of last year til now: http://www.rohwrestling.com/shoponline.asp?catid=238

Fozzy wrote: »
    I'd say ROH's shop would be decent enough too, especially when they do one of their regular sales. They only seem to have the most recent TNA DVDs though, from the end of last year til now: http://www.rohwrestling.com/shoponline.asp?catid=238

Ye I was thinking that myself but im looking for more of the older ppvs from 2005 and 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

How can TNA still have Scott Hall on the cover of Turning Point? Ameteurish

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »
    How can TNA still have Scott Hall on the cover of Turning Point? Ameteurish

Wrestling promotion in false advertising shocker!

Advertisement