Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling DVDs Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

WCW collection ? Do you mean the Warner Bros. videos from 99/2000 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

WCW collection ? Do you mean the Warner Bros. videos from 99/2000 ?

I mean i've most of the PPV's from 83 (NWA, pre WCW)-01 and a rake of Nitros :D

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I mean i've most of the PPV's from 83 (NWA, pre WCW)-01 and a rake of Nitros :D

:eek: where'd you get them ? I remember there was some of the 96/97 PPVs released in the UK through a mail order thing around 1998 but they were way too expensive and I never saw them in Irish shops. A few of the early 90's PPVs were released through Entertainment in Video I think.

:eek: where'd you get them ? I remember there was some of the 96/97 PPVs released in the UK through a mail order thing around 1998 but they were way too expensive and I never saw them in Irish shops. A few of the early 90's PPVs were released through Entertainment in Video I think.

Ah yes, the advantage of having an NTSC compatible tape recorder years ago. Played all the American releases. :D

Most video players these days play NTSC I think. Do many WCW PPV videos show up on Ebay ?

• Advertisement

Most video players these days play NTSC I think. Do many WCW PPV videos show up on Ebay ?

They do now, but they didn't then! :)
    As for ebay, they're a lot more rare than they were about 4 years ago. A lot of them are horrible 4th or 5th generation dubs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Is that true ?

Sure I said it

rovert wrote: »
    Sure I said it

Much as i hate to say it, but 99% of the time rovert says it, it's usually spot on.
    *must be up very early in the morning to catch him out though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

I just watched the Hell in a Cell 3-disc set, and found it pretty disappointing. As a match comp, it's got some great stuff, though limited because its such a recent gimmick, but the overall package is disappointing in my opinion.

i've a full review here for anyone interested.
    http://www.ifight365.com/2008/10/the-dreaded-nerve-hold-review-hell-in-a-cell-the-greatest-hell-in-a-cell-matches-of-all-time/

I just watched the Hell in a Cell 3-disc set, and found it pretty disappointing. As a match comp, it's got some great stuff, though limited because its such a recent gimmick, but the overall package is disappointing in my opinion.

i've a full review here for anyone interested.
    http://www.ifight365.com/2008/10/the-dreaded-nerve-hold-review-hell-in-a-cell-the-greatest-hell-in-a-cell-matches-of-all-time/

That's a confusing review, the bulk of the main review you're moaning that the Cell is overused and the matches are stale then at the end you resolve to talk about how the matches are good :confused:

Cheers for the review, not very thorough though. You'd have to be a fool to think that they weren't going to kayfabe any interviews about it and if you'd seem most of the matches it was obvious what you were getting.

Are there any sites you guys use for reviews ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

When you say "use sites", what do you mean? The only site i used for reference in this would have been Wiki, to check if i was right about which matches were left off the set.

I wasn't under any illusions about what the release would be.. but i dont think hoping for some non-kayfabe makes one a "fool" in 2008, especially considering some of their other efforts.

If it wasn't a clear review.. my bad. The matches were good though- i did say that... i didn't say the gimmick was stale- my concerns about "overuse" of the cell were surrounding fan expectations of high spots. And i still think 3 cell matches in less than three months in 98 was crazy.
    Thanks for checking it out.

Oh yeah definately, 3cell mathces in 98 was mad in hindsight. At the time I was loving it though and in anyways, the Mankind/Kane match and the tag matches were no contests weren't they ? Also the Cell matches in 2002 were spaced too closely together. The Brock match was one of the best but the Trip/Jericho match I thought was lousy and possibly even worse than the Armageddon match. At least the WM Cell match had Boss Man hanging from it which was at least a strong visual image....

I would've have liked some real interviews too. Who actually built the cell, how much it cost, the "entertainers" real opinions on it.

What I meant about internet sites was , are there any dvd review sites that cover WWE dvds ? Or are there any that anyone here reads ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Flair DVD due to start shipping on 17/11, so it should certainly be here in time for christmas.

gimmick wrote: »
    Flair DVD due to start shipping on 17/11, so it should certainly be here in time for christmas.

Fingers crossed on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I know. I won't be holding my breath about it. having said that, anytime I have ordered from Highspots, I have never had any problems. Could be a different story for a pre order though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭jeffk

http://www.rohwrestling.com/shoponline.asp?point=moreinfo&id=2799

TNA Kurt Angle: Champion (2 Disc Set)
    Item# TNADVD068
    Description:
    Two-time national collegiate champion, Olympic gold medalist, and over 20 time world champion. Kurt Angle has held world titles in every major professional wrestling organization in existence. Angle is the greatest professional wrestler in history. This new release contains over 3 hours of complete matches and special features that give a behind the scenes look at Kurt and his amazing career.

Matches include:
    1. Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe...Genesis 2006
    2. Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe...Turning Point 2006
    3. Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe...30 Min. Iron Man Match- Final Resolution 2007
    4. Kurt Angle vs. AJ Styles vs. Christian Cage vs. Chris Harris vs. Samoa Joe...TNA World Title King of the Mountain Match- Slammiversary 2007
    5. Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe...Winner Take All Match- Hard Justice 2007
    6. Kurt Angle vs. Jay Lethal...X-Division Title Match- No Surrender 2007
    7. Kurt Angle vs. Sting...TNA World Title Match...Bound For Glory 2007
    8. Kurt Angle vs. Sting...TNA World Title Match...Impact 10/28/07
    9. Kurt Angle vs. Yuji Nagata...IWGP Title Match- Global Impact
    10. Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe...TNA World Title Match- Lockdown 2008

For the tna marks out there

http://www.rohwrestling.com/shoponline.asp?point=moreinfo&catid=224&id=2771

TNA Cross The Line PPV 3 Pack (Triple DVD Set)
    Item# TNADVD067
    Description:
    TNA No Surrender PPV 7/13/08

1. WORLD X-CUP ELIMINATION MATCH: Team TNA (Chris Sabin & Alex Shelley & Curry Man) vs. Team Japan (Puma & Masato Yoshino & Milano Collection A.T.) vs. Team Mexico (Ultimo Guerrero & Rey Bucanero & Averno) vs. Team International (Doug Williams & Alex Koslov & Tyson Dux)
    2. KNOCKOUTS GRUDGE MATCH: Gail Kim vs. Angelina Love
    3. GRUDGE MATCH: Sonjay Dutt vs. Jay Lethal
    4. TNA TAG TITLE FANS REVENGE LUMBERJACK TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: LAX vs. Beer Money
    5. TNA KNOCKOUTS TITLE MATCH: Taylor Wilde vs. Awesome Kong
    6. WORLD X-CUP ULTIMATE-X MATCH: Volador Jr. (Team Mexico) vs. Kaz (Team TNA) vs. Naruki Doi (Team Japan) vs. Shawn Daivari (Team International)
    7. FULL METAL MAYHEM 6-MAN TAG TEAM MATCH: Team 3-D & Kurt Angle vs. Christian Cage & Rhino & A.J. Styles:
    8. TNA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Samoa Joe vs. Booker T

TNA Hard Justice PPV 8/10/08

1. TNA X-DIVISION TITLE MATCH: Petey Williams vs. Consequences Creed
    2. SIX-KNOCKOUTS TAG TEAM MATCH: Gail Kim & ODB & Taylor Wilde vs. The Beautiful People & Awesome Kong
    3. TNA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: LAX vs. Beer Money
    4. BLACK TIE BRAWL & CHAIN MATCH: Jay Lethal vs. Sonjay Dutt
    5. NEW JERSEY STREET FIGHT: Christian Cage & Rhino vs. Team 3-D
    6. LAST MAN STANDING MATCH: Kurt Angle vs. AJ Styles
    7. TNA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE SIX SIDES OF STEEL WEAPONS MATCH: Samoa Joe vs. Booker T

TNA No Surrender PPV 9/14/07

1. SIX PERSON TAG MATCH: The Rock N Rave Infection & Christy Hemme vs. Shark Boy, Curry Man, & Super Eric
    2. FALLS COUNT ANYWHERE: Amazing Kong vs. ODB
    3. TAG TEAM MATCH: Team 3D vs. Matt Morgan & Abyss
    4. TNA X-DIVISION TITLE MATCH: Petey Williams vs. Consequences Creed vs. Sheik Abdul Bashir
    5. TNA KNOCKOUTS TITLE: Taylor Wilde vs. Angelina Love
    6. LADDER OF LOVE MATCH: Jay Lethal vs. Sonjay Dutt
    7. TNA TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Beer Money vs. LAX
    8. MMA MATCH: Frank Trigg vs. AJ Styles
    9. TNA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE THREE WAY MATCH: Samoa Joe vs. Kurt Angle vs. Christian Cage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

That Angle match list is pretty good. Great to see them include the Nagata match. I would have liked to have Angle/Abyss from No Surrender on it aswell though.

That Angle match list is pretty good. Great to see them include the Nagata match. I would have liked to have Angle/Abyss from No Surrender on it aswell though.

Well it says includes so might be a provisional match listing to wet peoples apatites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

From PW Insider:
    WWE will be releasing a Best of Saturday Night's Main Event 2 DVD set on 2/10/09.

• Advertisement

From PW Insider:

Why do i get the feeling it'll be the sh*tty SNME that resurfaced in 2006? Probably because the majority of the SNME's from 85-90 featured Ventura on commentary, so if we're lucky you might get something from 88 when Heenan did commentary or the stuff from 90-92 where Heenan or Piper was doing them.

Have em all anyway, so i'll be taking a pass on this one. :D

Good point ShawnRaven.

I dont think we will be see the those classic Savage matches either which is a shame too.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Why do i get the feeling it'll be the sh*tty SNME that resurfaced in 2006? Probably because the majority of the SNME's from 85-90 featured Ventura on commentary, so if we're lucky you might get something from 88 when Heenan did commentary or the stuff from 90-92 where Heenan or Piper was doing them.

Have em all anyway, so i'll be taking a pass on this one. :D

Fill me in here, what's Ventura got to do with them not releasing the old SNME ?
    I think I've got the old Coliseum Video release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Fill me in here, what's Ventura got to do with them not releasing the old SNME ?

From wikipedia:
    Litigation

In 1987, while negotiating his contract as a WWF commentator, Ventura waived his rights to royalties on videotape sales when he was falsely told that only feature performers received such royalties. In 1991, having discovered that other non-feature performers received royalties, Ventura brought an action for fraud, misappropriation of publicity rights, and unjust enrichment in Minnesota state court against Titan Sports. The case was removed to federal court, and Ventura won an $801,333.06 jury verdict on the last claim. The judgment was affirmed on appeal, and the case,,[8] 65 F.3d 725 (8th Cir.1995), is an important result in the law of restitution.

Now because of Ventura's victorious lawsuit, whenever the WWF/WWE wants to use his commentary for a mass marketed VHS/DVD, Ventura will get a percentage of the sales.

Ye know I always wondered did wrestlers,announcers and commentators get royalties from video/dvd releases. Does anyone know what the case is these days ? The cynic in me says that only the main players might get a few bob maybe from their speciality dvds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I wonder do the wrestlers on the IWW DVD get any of the profit?

Or who pockets it all?:confused:

Ye know I always wondered did wrestlers,announcers and commentators get royalties from video/dvd releases. Does anyone know what the case is these days ? The cynic in me says that only the main players might get a few bob maybe from their speciality dvds.

Everyone gets royalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'm sure that I saw a shoot interview with someone who said that they get a 20 dollar cheque every year from WWE DVD royalties. It's not like you can make a living off of being on old footage

Fozzy wrote: »
    I'm sure that I saw a shoot interview with someone who said that they get a 20 dollar cheque every year from WWE DVD royalties. It's not like you can make a living off of being on old footage

On the other hand you probably heard Lance Storm gleefully talking about his royalty cheque from being on the Rey DVD.

• Advertisement

Disc 1
    Starrcade December 29, 1996 - The Match of the Decade
    “Rowdy” Roddy Piper vs. Hollywood Hulk Hogan

Starrcade December 13, 1989 - Iron Man Singles Tournament
    Sting vs. The Great Muta

Starrcade December 28, 1992 - Unified World Tag Team Championship
    Barry Windham / Brian Pillman vs. Ricky Steamboat / Shane Douglas

Starrcade December 27, 1998 - WCW World Heavyweight Championship
    Goldberg vs. Kevin Nash

Starrcade December 29, 1991
    BattleBowl

Starrcade December 27, 1993 - 2 out of 3 Falls for the WCW United States Championship
    Dustin Rhodes vs. Stunning Steve Austin

Disc 2
    Starrcade November 26, 1987 - NWA World Tag Team Championship
    Road Warriors vs. Arn Anderson / Tully Blanchard
    Alternate Commentary: Todd Grisham / Road Warrior Animal

Starrcade December 29, 1996
    Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Jushin Thunder Liger

Starrcade November 26, 1987 - Scaffold Match
    Rock ‘n Roll Express vs. The Midnight Express

Starrcade December 26, 1988 - NWA World Heavyweight Championship
    Ric Flair vs. Lex Luger

Starrcade December 27, 1995
    Eddie Guerrero vs. Shinjiro Ootani

Starrcade December 26, 1988 - NWA World Tag Team Championship
    Dusty Rhodes / Sting vs. Road Warriors

Starrcade December 28, 1992 - King of Cable Tournament Final
    Sting vs. Big Van Vader

Starrcade November 24, 1983 - NWA World Tag Team Championship
    Brisco Brothers vs. Jay Youngblood / Ricky Steamboat

Starrcade November 28, 1985 - NWA World Heavyweight Championship
    Dusty Rhodes vs. Ric Flair

Starrcade December 28, 1997 - WCW Cruiserweight Championship
    Eddie Guerrero vs. Dean Malenko

Disc 3
    Starrcade December 13, 1989 - Iron Man Tag Team Tournament
    Road Warriors vs. The Steiner Brothers

Starrcade December 17, 2000 - Ladder Match for a Contract for the World Cruiserweight Championship
    3 Count vs. Jamie Knoble & Evan Karagias vs. Jung Dragons

Starrcade December 13, 1989 - Iron Man Singles Tournament
    Sting vs. Ric Flair

Starrcade November 24, 1983 - Dog Collar Match
    Greg Valentine vs. Roddy Piper

Starrcade November 27, 1986 - Scaffold Match
    Road Warriors vs. The Midnight Express
    Alternate Commentary: Todd Grisham / Road Warrior Animal

Starrcade December 28, 1997 - WCW World Heavyweight Championship
    Sting vs. Hollywood Hulk Hogan

Starrcade November 24, 1983 - Steel Cage Match for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship
    Ric Flair vs. Harley Race

Starrcade November 28, 1985 - Steel Cage “I Quit Match” for the NWA United States Championship
    Magnum T.A. vs. Tully Blanchard

Starrcade December 27, 1993 - WCW World Heavyweight Championship - Ric Flair’s Career Is On the Line
    Ric Flair vs. Vader

Totally getting

Advertisement