Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling DVDs Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Really like him now but I wouldn't cross the road for a IWW Sheamus match. He was very bland then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭jeffk

Found it strange Rf have a dvd from what i can see is 2010 and IWW aren't or haven't flogged them themselves .

I never enjoyed him back then , not when you had the quality the zero g had around then .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭JoeSnow

I haven't bought an "indy" DVD in years for the simple reason they can't justify the price considering production values are non existent. I spend money on all my WWE releases (rather than downloading) because I'm not hurting for money, therefore I deserve to watch things in the best quality with no hassle and build a collection. But indy DVD's like that just wouldn't work with me considering how crap those things look at their best. I'm surprised there is still a market for this sort of thing to be honest, I'd assume is somebody really wanted to see his pre WWE work that badly they'd just go on to YouTube and watch for free... again, quality wouldn't be an issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

JoeSnow wrote: »
    I haven't bought an "indy" DVD in years for the simple reason they can't justify the price considering production values are non existent. I spend money on all my WWE releases (rather than downloading) because I'm not hurting for money, therefore I deserve to watch things in the best quality with no hassle and build a collection. But indy DVD's like that just wouldn't work with me considering how crap those things look at their best. I'm surprised there is still a market for this sort of thing to be honest, I'd assume is somebody really wanted to see his pre WWE work that badly they'd just go on to YouTube and watch for free... again, quality wouldn't be an issue.
    Definitely, especially when you see sites like Silvervision selling new 3 disc 9 hour boxsets for £4.99 delivered to your door, you'd want to be a mighty cheapskate to torrent those dvds. Not to mention you get a nice boxset to put on your shelf and have forever.

Exactly Digital. Even releases near the £10 mark - for the sake of owning something and getting it in full quality, I actually feel sorry for the person who really wants to see it but sits there for hours downloading it to watch it in a highly reduced quality on a computer because £10 is too much to part with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

They don't be reduced quality when you download them.

Do Silvervision charge much for delivery? Was thinking of getting the Bret Hart DVD set, only 8 pound

They don't be reduced quality when you download them.
    To be fair, a lot of them do. They compress the quality of the doc's to get them under 700mb.
    Do Silvervision charge much for delivery? Was thinking of getting the Bret Hart DVD set, only 8 pound
    Free delivery, and order 3 dvds or and get 10% off, but its only £4 here on amazon delivered, with zoverstocks (who are amazons biggest marketplace seller). The first one on the list there:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000CMNI7S/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1343743160&sr=8-1&condition=used

Will probably be in mint condition. I bought that exact dvd off them a few weeks ago and it was anyway.

Exactly Digital. Even releases near the £10 mark - for the sake of owning something and getting it in full quality, I actually feel sorry for the person who really wants to see it but sits there for hours downloading it to watch it in a highly reduced quality on a computer because £10 is too much to part with.
    I agree definitely. They have some great deals, along with on the amazon marketplace with zoverstocks, have picked up some bargains there like the stone cold 3 disc box set for 3 quid delivered.

I wouldn't go mad buying all the PPVs like some dvd collectors do, but I collect the manias and a lot of the superstar 3 disc boxsets. Nice to look back over the classic matches and documentaries.

Digitalism wrote: »
    To be fair, a lot of them do. They compress the quality of the doc's to get them under 700mb.

Free delivery, and order 3 dvds or and get 10% off, but its only £4 here on amazon delivered, with zoverstocks (who are amazons biggest marketplace seller). The first one on the list there:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000CMNI7S/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1343743160&sr=8-1&condition=used

Will probably be in mint condition. I bought that exact dvd off them a few weeks ago and it was anyway.
    Sound, bought it there, worked out at just over 5 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I don't know how companies like RF video are surviving as I can't imagine there's a huge market for some of the stuff they put out. Not to mention the whole piracy aspect and how that might affect things.

I mainly stick to buying the boxsets and documentary DVD's these days. I think I'll splash out on a few of the new ROH home video releases soon, though space is starting to become an issue at this point with almost 500 wrestling DVD's alone.

• Advertisement

I don't know how companies like RF video are surviving as I can't imagine there's a huge market for some of the stuff they put out. Not to mention the whole piracy aspect and how that might affect things.

Take this with a massive grain of salt but one of RF's biggest enemies online said that Rob's business is surviving on his father's inheritance.

Digitalism wrote: »

Exactly. Friends bring movies into work to share on memory stick, and they are normally titled along the lines of "Dark Knight Rises HD!!" and when you view it, its far from HD and I was watching better quality in the 80's on CRT. Awful. Horrible compressed images. Firm believer if something is worth watching, its worth watching right.

Dunno what ones you guys are downloading, the ones I'm getting are around 3/4 gbs and are perfect

Dipped back into Silvervision big time this Summer with their "out of business" sale before they extended their deal with WWE. Wild Wednesday is good for a bargain too. Worth pointing out they take paypal now.

Buy lots of iPPV. I still have a DGUSA show to watch from this weekend.

The only indy I buy DVDs of is PWG as they deserve my money. I buy the bigger CHIKARA shows but the SmarkMarkVideo international shipping is scandalous. They offer digital downloads but they aren't up to snuff yet.

Dunno what ones you guys are downloading, the ones I'm getting are around 3/4 gbs and are perfect

So inside your PC you have the equipment used to author a pro-res MPEG DVD? Wow, how much did that set you back?

My point is, peoples definition of "perfect" is a funny one. Goes back to the ol' tape trader days where "excellent" meant only a slightly grainy video with the occasional flicker at the top and bottom of the image.

The file size is also irrelevant. I can film something on my iPhone and degrade the quality by making my PC think its creating DVD quality leaving me with a file the size of a couple of gigs, and on playback it will be awful. It's to do with the render / compression / capture and when you buy a DVD you are getting this done at top rate. Like it or not when you download things, you're going down the chain.

I cant say I've noticed any difference between the stuff I've downloaded and the stuff I've bought in terms of quality

rovert wrote: »
    Dipped back into Silvervision big time this Summer with their "out of business" sale before they extended their deal with WWE. Wild Wednesday is good for a bargain too. Worth pointing out they take paypal now.
    They are dumping a lot of their excess stuff onto CDWOW (now WOWHD and zoverstocks also) at discounted prices ive heard. Its the dvds that came with French inserts but the dvd/outer sleeve is in English. Worth checking out their selection.
    Well I cant afford to pay for a massive download cap/fast speeds, as me and roomates look at a lot of youtube videos and the BBC/ITV iplayers online also so downloading DVDs in excess of 5gb is out of the option for me, and id imagine the majority of people around the country.

Dont get me wrong, I download a fair bit of films and music, but wrestling dvds are different as you get a nice cover boxset and far more value for money that a normal DVD.

So inside your PC you have the equipment used to author a pro-res MPEG DVD? Wow, how much did that set you back?

My point is, peoples definition of "perfect" is a funny one. Goes back to the ol' tape trader days where "excellent" meant only a slightly grainy video with the occasional flicker at the top and bottom of the image.

Yeah its a bit like when people download certain music albums off torrents and its in 320kps, but if you delve into it more, you will see thats its just 192kps or whatever, just re ripped into 320kps. The mp3 has a big file size, but its just the same poor sound quality, up scaled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

01082012-rock.jpg

Was his match with Flair good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Exactly. Friends bring movies into work to share on memory stick, and they are normally titled along the lines of "Dark Knight Rises HD!!" and when you view it, its far from HD and I was watching better quality in the 80's on CRT. Awful. Horrible compressed images. Firm believer if something is worth watching, its worth watching right.

I know people like this! They download fake files riddled with viruses, horrible camcorder recordings and have no clue about what the jargon after the name of a file means. It's actually hilarious when people are looking at a poor picture and will fight you tooth and nail that it's HD 1080p etc.

Guys, please be careful about what you say here as to not directly implicate yourselves in illegal piracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

That new Rock DVD is on US Netflix if anyone's interested.

I tend to watch a lot of old WWF/WCW matches on Youtube,mainly old mid card or jobber matches for some reason though!either that or I get various years boxsets from (50/60 gigs) from certain plundering websites.Quality's always been grand.I'm up to the year 2000 of WCW currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I'm currently watching Chyna vs. Billy Gunn for the No. 1 Contender spot to the Intercontinental title. I'm always delighted to be able to watch full episodes of Smackdown from 1999! I'm cringeing here, seeing that Wild Wednesday, knowing I bought that DVD on release.

So yeah I am buying this:

2012bestofchrishero-350x250.png
    This 4 disc releases features both interviews SMV conducted with Chris Hero the first in 2003 and the latest in 2011. There is a combined 7.5 hours of in-depth discussion with Chris talking about all aspects of his career. The second interview was conducted by one of Chris' best friends, Rob Naylor.

http://smartmarkvideo.com/chris-hero-dvd-interviews-with-a-hero-the-chris-hero-story.html

There's also a deluxe edition that includes matches:

http://smartmarkvideo.com/chris-hero-dvd-interviews-with-a-hero-the-chris-hero-story-deluxe-edition.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Has anyone gotten one of the paid downloads from Highspots before? Is there any restrictive DRM? Tempted by the Davey Richards and ANX shoot interviews.

What I have been waiting for:

AznvETVCAAA1xxB.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Watched Undertaker The Streak.

One of the worst DVD's WWE have produced in a long time. Lazy comes to mind.

Its about 50mins long and they spend about 2mins talking about each match. Ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

CM Punk: Best In The World DVD & Bluray trailer:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Watched Undertaker The Streak.

One of the worst DVD's WWE have produced in a long time. Lazy comes to mind.

Its about 50mins long and they spend about 2mins talking about each match. Ridiculous

Can't be worse than allied powers hosted by The Miz and Morrison who were painfully unfunny and were a charisma vacuum. Even the sarcastic talking heads in the top OMG moments were better(shoutout to Todd Grisham who turned Sable going topless into a gay panto moment).

The Randy Savage DVD was nearly ruined by the retards they had hosting that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

WWE1350-front.jpg

I'd buy this for the promos alone. Some of it is the Rock at his finest.

Advertisement