Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a teacher discriminate against a student with a learning disability and has .....

Options
  • 06-07-2007 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

...been diagnose with one

Ok my friend phoned me up last night giving off about one of the teachers had said in his report that he needs to settle down and start working next year . But I know how hard he tries to learn things and he is diagnose with a learning disability … so can the say thing’s like that about him ??? , I think he could try and go to court or report her to the education board ??? About what has been said . He never really talks or anything he’s really shy . But they can’t say anything bad about him like what she said .

What do you think he should do ??? . He’s really angry and is parents are too

Before he could be sure he had a learning disability he would have to had a psychologist report done …. And I know that some students who can get them done . Not have the same rights and things as other people like I know for sure ….. If a teacher keeps given off to a student who does not know how to do a thing like maths homework etc …. that student can report that teacher and get a psychologist to said that this person was not treated right and it would have to be reported to the department about this teacher …. The only why I know so much is because if u want to become a educational psychologist you would want to ask them can you talk to them about there job … what things can be done and why does people have dyslexia ….. dyslexia may be caused by a short circuit in the messages converting sound to visual cues And most people who replied to this …. Does not know anything like what it does to a persons brain they effects etc and most people would say that its not fair it is fair …. that’s why the can’t LEARN and shame on you for been discourteous …. How you know what’s dyslexia could be now !!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

Well I doubt he could do much, I mean the teacher is required by the school to give an honest appraisal of the student's effort over the year. It may be the case that said teacher and your friend do not get along, but I seriously doubt that any legal action could be taken over this!

Happens all over the country, has happened to me; there's always one or two teachers a student won't get along with and that teacher will not give them a favourable report for one reason or another. What grounds would your friend be suing on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Better off throwing this in Union of Secondary Students tbh, there's a billion other threads just like it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Shane80

adam_ccfc wrote:
    Well I doubt he could do much, I mean the teacher is required by the school to give an honest appraisal of the student's effort over the year. It may be the case that said teacher and your friend do not get along, but I seriously doubt that any legal action could be taken over this!

Happens all over the country, has happened to me; there's always one or two teachers a student won't get along with and that teacher will not give them a favourable report for one reason or another. What grounds would your friend be suing on?

Well did you know if a teacher call a student weak !! That you can sue a teacher for saying that your hole family are all stupid … really !!

Shane80 wrote:
    Well did you know if a teacher call a student weak !! That you can sue a teacher for saying that your hole family are all stupid … really !!
    Fair enough, mate, just offering my 2 cents worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Shane80 wrote:

Well tbh I find that disgusting. So a teacher isnt allowed to give a proper appraisal of a student just because it might offend a student or thier parents. Unless this is still in relation to a student with a known disability which would be different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

If the parents are angry too there must be more to this, to get annoyed over something so simple?

If the parents are angry too there must be more to this, to get annoyed over something so simple?

No there noting else , but if u saw a teenager trying there best who have a disability and find out that some teacher can get way with saying that . He really trys his best and its not fair to be said that to .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Shane80 wrote:
    Wow, if that´s true it´s retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Shane80 wrote:
    No there noting else , but if u saw a teenager trying there best who have a disability and find out that some teacher can get way with saying that . He really trys his best and its not fair to be said that to .

Obvious question here: Is the teacher aware that the student has a diagnosed disability????

There are often situations where teachers are not informed of students disabilities because of specific desires by parents not to have their child treated differently. I have also come across situations where the school does not have a report stating that the child has a diagnosed disability.

As for grounds for suing, forget it. The teacher expressed an opinion (correctly or otherwise) which he/she felt was warranted. BTW, was the student report a computerised one or was the comment handwritten?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Shane80 wrote:
    ...been diagnose with one

Ok my friend phoned me up last night giving off about one of the teachers had said in his report that he needs to settle down and start working next year . But I know how hard he tries to learn things and he is diagnose with a learning disability … so can the say thing’s like that about him ??? , I think he could try and go to court or report her to the education board ??? About what has been said . He never really talks or anything he’s really shy . But they can’t say anything bad about him like what she said .

What do you think he should do ??? . He’s really angry and is parents are too

Maybe I have read this wrong.

Go to court or report her for saying "needs to settle down and start working next year"?

Fcuk off

• Advertisement

Shane80 wrote:

Where did you come across that one??????

Delphi91 wrote:

As for grounds for suing, forget it. The teacher expressed an opinion (correctly or otherwise) which he/she felt was warranted. BTW, was the student report a computerised one or was the comment handwritten?

I don't think what you actually know what a disability can actual do to a school ... if this boy wants to say that he has been discriminated against because of his learning disability . and if he got a diagnoses from a psychologist assured that he has a learning disability it would go to court because of his rights and a disability and that’s why he could go to court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Is this boy you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

This is not discrimination. Needs to settle down and start working? Regardless of whether your friend is trying or not, clearly the teacher feels that he is NOT trying and not working - which is an opinion they are allowed to have even if there is a recognised learning disability at play here. Should the teacher be looking more carefully to try to assess how much effort this particular student is putting in - perhaps. Does believing that one of your students is not working hard enough count as discriminating against them? No.

If the parents have enough money to think about such a frivolous court case, they might want to consider getting additional academic help for their son, as the standard school system is completely under-equipped when it comes to dealing with learning difficulties. It would be a far better use of resources, quite frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

What is this learning disability? The notorious fake ADHD perhaps? If so, the teacher is right.

Every second brat nowadays seems to be "diagnosed" with ADHD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

Shane80, I actually can't read your posts without cringing.

There are no grounds for legal action here, as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Nilther

Now I know the family feel the teachers comment was harsh and that perhaps the student really isnt capable of settling and doing better, but the teacher isnt going to lie and say he's perfect and that theres no improvement needed and that he's basically guaranteed 600 pts.. I think if the teacher lied the family would probably be more angered when there son/daughter only gets 200 pts or something after being told he was perfect, just my opinion though..

Also I doubt/hope theres no legal option for them..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Where is the descrimination in that? Where is the case? He has a disability, yes, that does not mean he should not be told to work harder.

Nehpets wrote:
    Is this boy you?

No, But i do want to become a educational psychologist when i finish university . I have no learning disabilities ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have no learning disabilitys
    He he he

He he he

what ??? she asked me was this boy me !!! and i said no .

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Shane80 wrote:
    what ??? she asked me was this boy me !!! and i said no .
    Did you mean: disabilities ?

=-=

OP: cop on. Its a sad day when a student is told to work harder, and sues the teacher for it. Read a book, if you want to learn, goto school to be taught, but be prepared to get an assessment from the teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I dont teach at secondary level but I do know so many teachers who are tormented by thugs in their classrooms who say "Fk You.. I've ADHD so you can do Fk all to me".

And ya know what.. they're correct.. ADHD is over diagnosed in my opinion and covers all sorts of behaviour up to and including .. well.. thuggery!

I've taught children with genuine ADHD and there is a serious difference between those and some others who claim to have the disability.

Im not at all saying that the student in question is problematic.. Im just saying that the balance has now shifted to learning disabilities being used as an excuse. I believe this is a huge disservice to those with genuine learning difficulties.

In this case, where the learning disability is genuine, the teacher is still providing a professional opinion. His/Her job is to educate and provide feedback. If the person doesnt like the feedback, that doesnt mean they can or would be able to sue. Even though the person has a difficulty, they may still be able to try harder, and it is the job of the teacher to attempt to make this happen.

This thread is very one sided. Maybe the teacher is actually spot on.. and is trying to ensure the person in question achieves his/her potential. 99% of teachers are highly trained and highly motivated to help every student to achieve the maximum.. despite the sh!te we get from all corners of society.

But she does not teach any class's to him .... its a free class (study class) and she only talks about going out and having fun with the boys in the class !! But she has no right to comment on him for a start ..... at the bottom of the report there is a thing saying extra notes or comments thats were this note he's talking about is ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Shane80 wrote:
    But she has no right to comment on him for a start ...

Of course she does. Why wouldn't she? She's a teacher in the school who has him in a class - even if it's a study class, she's perfectly entitled to report anything relevant about any of her students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Shane80 wrote:
    But she does not teach any class's to him .... its a free class (study class) and she only talks about going out and having fun with the boys in the class !! But she has no right to comment on him for a start ..... at the bottom of the report there is a thing saying extra notes or comments thats were this note he's talking about is ...

This extra comments part is often used for teachers who are assigned supervision classes to comment on the effort made by individuals in the class. Parents often ask about the effort that is put in during study time so this is how the feedback is usually given.

Sounds to me like the teacher has given an opinion and someone just doesnt like being told what they dont want to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

A lot of students with "a learning disabilty" don't seem to work as hard as they could do, or even half as hard as they could. Most of us are/were secondary students for the last few years, we've seen it in our own schools and amongst people we know. It can be sad when the student is doing the best they can and its not acknowledged, yes. But the truth is that maybe they CAN work a little harder and improve themselves, they just don't believe it.

OP - If you think your friend should sue, then good luck to that friend if they ever decide to do something with their life, can't just sue everyone if they don't get what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Rozabeez wrote:
    OP - If you think your friend should sue, then good luck to that friend if they ever decide to do something with their life, can't just sue everyone if they don't get what they want.

The way the worlds going I wouldnt bet on this.

• Advertisement

Shane80 wrote:
    I don't think what you actually know what a disability can actual do to a school ... if this boy wants to say that he has been discriminated against because of his learning disability . and if he got a diagnoses from a psychologist assured that he has a learning disability it would go to court because of his rights and a disability and that’s why he could go to court

You've missed the point of my comment completely.

You didn't let us know if the school was aware of the disability or not. Just because he's been diagnosed doen't mean the school is aware - the parents may have chosen not to tell the school for a number of reasons. And if the school is aware, then the onus would be on the child/parents to prove that the comment made was a discriminatory one. I would suggest that it would be very difficult to find a student who has not gotten a similar comment at one stage or other in his/her academic career irrespective of whether they have a diagnosed disability or not.

It would be a waste of time even considering a court case out of the comment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement