Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aftershave recommendations -help!

• 06-07-2007 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

Ok guys and girls,

Have to buy aftershave for a guy as a pressie and I am so hopeless in this department - everytime I go, there are so many that I just give up before I start! He likes fresh smelling ones (not the musky woody ones). Can anyone give me some recommendations so its not so over whelming!! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

What age is he. That usually makes a difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭girliegirl

Cool Water by Davidoff... always a winner in my eyes (or nose)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

Thanks guys for the help = he's 25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

acqua di gio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Joop!

Jean Paul Gaultier.

Obsession (Calvin Klein?)

All of these are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Armani Code or L'Eau D'Issey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

acqua di gio

Agreed, dont get coolwater,its too common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

How about Chanel Platinum or L'Homme by YSL ( They 2 out at the moment, the normal one and a summer one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

rediguana wrote:
    Joop!

Jean Paul Gaultier.

All of these are great.

All are musky smelling NOT what the OP is looking for, they are fine if your 15.

Allure Sport
    Acqua di Gio
    Issey Miyake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

im 24, heres my favs (just incase you want a general age group)

http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/sbs/133501/14078176.html

thats the muts nuts. I got it for a presant and i love it. Its by far my fav out of my collection

http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/sbs/133501/9682604.html

thats also another one that im in love with.

Those two are a real business smell, if you know what i mean. The scent your going for really depends on the person. Those two are a real all round smell, and they are real good!

Im in work atm, i have about 20 different scents, they are 2 of the boss ones i have out of 4, and they stick out more than the rest.

Dont get calvin clien ANYTHING! its an over used smell, and everyone has it in their collection..

http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/sbs/133501/10331849.html

Thats another one, but its a tad too popular, but its nice, more... night out type of aftershave, but its another all rounder

hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

clinique - happy

Thanks guys and girls - hopefully it'll be alot easier now!!

God how I hate buying aftershave but I can't think of anything else to get him! Wish me luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

i could list a bunch of things that you could do for him that would make him happy :D

Cheap n very cheerfull!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭DeiseGal

Have to go with Hugo Boss or Issey Miyake, both smell fab and im sure your man would love them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

padi89 wrote:
    All are musky smelling NOT what the OP is looking for, they are fine if your 15.

Allure Sport

Definitely Allure or Allure Sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

padi89 wrote:

Allure Sport
    Acqua di Gio
    Issey Miyake

Maybe you're right. I don't actually wear aftershave these days (I bet women prefer the more natural scent of clean man + merest hint of good quality moisturiser), but those three are the ones I loved back in the glory days when I was in college (first time round).

Thanks everyone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Hugo Boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

My fave is Joop!, but I'm allergic to it! Makes me sneeze and sneeze and, well, you get the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

D&G Masculine has kind of a citrus scent to it. I remember liking Zegna Z when I got a pressie of that - but can't properly recall the scent.. Tommy ain't too bad either..

Hugo Boss is a pretty safe bet though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

prada man
    by prada is very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭galwaygirleen

armani code the one in the black bottle!! mmmmm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Don't get him Joop! It's foul. It smells like washing powder and teenage girl perfume.
    Ultimate fresh scent is Cologne by Thierry Mugler.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If he is really unique and stylish, you might consider St Johns Bay Rum from the Virgin Islands. It comes in a classy glass and whicker bottle. A lad was wearing it the last time I was in Jamaica and he smelled grand! Whoa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

armani code the one in the black bottle!! mmmmm!

Got this as a present, im warming to it so it cant be that bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

RosieJoe wrote:
    L'Homme by YSL ( They 2 out at the moment, the normal one and a summer one)

I just bought that one today! :), the price for a 50ml was about 42, a 100ml was 48 so it was silly to not buy the 100ml. Its fantastic smell. I spent a good 30 mins with a few female friends smelling different ones.

Afew opinions that popped up:

Joop is 10 years too old and was always a hit or mostly miss with people. Its a very distinctive smell u either like or hate dearly.

Coolwaters, everyone likes it, but its so common that it makes no impact(could be a good thing for a boyfriend to have though if you get me ;))

Acqua di Gio, 1 out of the 5 girls only liked it, said it was too musky. One girl mentioned a squirrel but i believe they meant skunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I have about 20 (lots of business trips over the last few years!).

My latest favourites are Giorgio Armani Attitude and Christian La Croix Tumulte (really fresh smell). CK In2U is nice too...

A good review site (leaning more towards perfumes than e.d.t, but still lots of good reviews): http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Armani - Mania

Advertisement