Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church Weddings

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Sangre wrote:
    Do you really choose the curriculum though if she has to sit state exams?

She didn't sit any State exams. School inspectors came each year and verified that the kids were getting a decent education (otherwise I could be prosecuted). We submitted a portfolio of her work, subjects covered, grades obtained, SAT etc., to a number of Colleges and she was offered places by all of them. Since Universities & Colleges receive students from many nations & educational systems they seem very willing to assess applicants on merit rather than just the usual Leaving Cert format. The local VEC also examined her portfolio before they awarded her a grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Fair enough, didn't know they did that for Irish resident schools. Was she accepted by anyone of the 9 universities or did you apply to private 3rd level colleges or maybe ITs?

However, since her acceptance had to be approved by the colleges isn't that just another way of submitting to the state's chosen curriculum? If they felt you hadn't satisfied their standards they wouldn't have let her in.

I just think its possible to avoid state influence on her education if she ever wants to go beyond secondary level. Almost it seems its obviously a much reduced influence.

P.s. isn't the SAT another (non-Irish) state exam? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Sangre wrote:
    Fair enough, didn't know they did that for Irish resident schools. Was she accepted by anyone of the 9 universities or did you apply to private 3rd level colleges or maybe ITs?

Her qualifications were accepted by 2 Universities in the Republic & by QUB in the North. She chose to go to an IT instead. I think the school was a bit ticked off because each time one of their students goes to a different University it paves the way & makes it easier for other students following the same path. They really wanted her to go to Trinity, but she's headstrong like her father. :)
    However, since her acceptance had to be approved by the colleges isn't that just another way of submitting to the state's chosen curriculum? If they felt you hadn't satisfied their standards they wouldn't have let her in.
    I would say it is more that any alternative curriculum must meet basic minimum standards, rather than submitting to the state's chosen curriculum.
    P.s. isn't the SAT another (non-Irish) state exam? :P

Possibly, I'm not that well versed in the US system. I have no problem with State exams, as such, I just think there are different ways of getting the knowledge and skills required to pass them.

Advertisement