Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour De France - Live Updates

Options
  • 06-07-2007 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

I'm sure everyone is looking forward to the big race - maybe not as much as in the past, but it's the most open race in a long time. I think it could be Vinokourov's year, but there are a number of others who could come through and win it this year.

Europsport have a good site to keep up to date on all happenings as it happens - if your unfortuntate enough to be stuck in work..

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/cycling/tour-de-france/

There are lots of other sites providing online info as each stage progresses - feel free to share them if you find any others you think are particularly good.

Anyone any views on how they think this years Tour will pan out ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Robin1982

Despite all the hype about Wiggins I reckon Cancellara will win the prologue.

For obvious reasons I wouldn't be delighted with a Vino or Valv vicory, but I'd like to see Karpets, Cunego and Schleck do well. I think Lepi has a great chance of a top-5 finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

If your Irish is up to it, TG4 stream it live.....

http://www.tg4.tv/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

cgf wrote:

Yeah, watched a lot of it on the web last year on TG4. Didn't get a lot of work done that month! I have Eurosport this year, so will tape it and watch it in the evenings.

As for the prologue, both Wiggins and Miller will be very keyed up for it, what with it being in London and all. Wouldn't rule out Wiggins just yet. He rode a great prologue at the Dauphine. Mind you Cancellara does seem to be finding his form at last this year.
    Robin1982 wrote:
    For obvious reasons I wouldn't be delighted with a Vino or Valv vicory, but I'd like to see Karpets, Cunego and Schleck do well. I think Lepi has a great chance of a top-5 finish.

If you think Vino and Valverde are the only suspect riders out there....

I'd tip Vino this year and if he blows up Astana can ride for Kloeden, who'd have a great chance. Valverde always seems a little bit fragile for grand tours. He didn't finish his last two TDFs. Rode alright in the Vuelta, but really faded towards the end. Sastre could show well, but his TT is unconvincing. Cadel Evans has also been looking pretty strong as has Menchov. Karpets looks great, won the Tour de Suisse without seeming too try to hard, but he's only in with a shout if Valverde blows up and Caisse d'Epargne start riding for him instead. Leipheimer has never really convinced me that he's got that killer instinct. Way too timid a rider and often just follows wheels. As for Schleck, I'm beginning to suspect he's really a one day rider and stage winner. He was CSC's GC man in the Tour de Suisse and he really fell apart. The younger brother though doesn't look like he has that problem and hopefully we'll get to see him in the Tour next year. Cunego isn't riding this year.

Utterly awesome performance by Cancellara - just shy of 8km in less than 9 mins (avg speed of 53.7 kph!!!). Wins by 13' from Kloden (which was a great performance in itself) and 23' from the rest.

Yowzers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

cgf wrote:

http://www.tg4.tv/
    Well I have no Irish and barely enough French to read the captions that get put up, but seeing as there are no other options after it being on ITV1 today it will have to do I guess.

• Advertisement

You can listen to Eurosport's commentary online (here , or with text commentary, here)

With TG4 on in the background (Eurosport are using different pics mind) - plus a live GPS map, you should be set!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

McEwan won todays stage in a sprint finish ahead of Hushovd and Boonen. Those three are surely favs for the green jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

McEwen's win today was phenomonal. May be hard to appreciate if you have never raced, but chasing back on and then coming all the way through the field like that in the last few kms is incredibly hard, even at the duffer level I race at. I can't imagine how difficult it must be when you're up against protour riders!

Not a huge fan of McEwen, but fair play to him today.

Boonen looked slow - took him ages to get up to speed when he started to sprint, he seems to be missing some of the kick in his legs these days...

YouTube have teamed up with Le Tour to provide a Tour de France channel.

Not a huge amount of interest on it yet but McEwen's post Stage 1 interview its pretty clear he's in intense pain with his wrist/hand injury and he doesn't look delighted with his knee either.

Whether that compromises his chances for another victory tomorrow it may be too early to say, but I wouldn't be betting on him to do it.

Still a terrific win today, and credit to Millar for his enterprising, and ultimately highly rewarding (in terms of GC and KoM publicity), breakaway.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yeah, McEwen was awesome. Not only did he get back and win, but the way he won was just phenomenal. No one could touch him. His acceleration is something else.
    cerebus wrote:
    Boonen looked slow - took him ages to get up to speed when he started to sprint, he seems to be missing some of the kick in his legs these days...

He hasn't looked great all season, by his standards that is. All he's won really is a few stages in the Tour of Qatar and a few of the lesser Belgian semi-classics, which included Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne when his leadout man Steegmans practically had to brake to let Boonen by to win. And all of that was before he missed a few weeks after breaking his toe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

I am not a fan of McEwen at all, BUT that was a fantastic sprint to win stage 1. He really flew past all the others at such high speed it was amazing.

I was surprised by the tactics of the other teams though - I didn't understand how he was able to get back to the peloton after his crash. I mean, why didn't Quick Step, Milram, Lampre, Credit Agricole, etc. really put the foot down and ensure that McEwen couldn't get back on. Particularly Quick Step and Credit Agricole (who are built around their star sprinters) should have been able to team up and keep Robbie out of the running...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

da_deadman wrote:
    I am not a fan of McEwen at all, BUT that was a fantastic sprint to win stage 1. He really flew past all the others at such high speed it was amazing.

I was surprised by the tactics of the other teams though - I didn't understand how he was able to get back to the peloton after his crash. I mean, why didn't Quick Step, Milram, Lampre, Credit Agricole, etc. really put the foot down and ensure that McEwen couldn't get back on. Particularly Quick Step and Credit Agricole (who are built around their star sprinters) should have been able to team up and keep Robbie out of the running...:confused:

They did were you not watching

Not so many people like McEwen here it seems?

I don't know, it seemed to me that Quickstep in particular seemed to put their foot on the gas once they realised McEwen was down. You've got to remember that while Quickstep were tearing away at the front, most of McEwen's team hung back for him and killed themselves getting him back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

el tonto wrote:
    most of McEwen's team hung back for him and killed themselves getting him back up.

Yes, it was a very good team effort to get him in contention, and, considering this, his acceleration for the line was amazing.
    I was at the finish and couldn't believe it was him that won - our commentary wasn't working so we all thought he was still out the back.

I can't get the TG4 streaming to work - any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

OMG did anyone see that crash today, must have been at least 30 riders involved in it

No I didn't see the crash but I heard that Cancellara hit the gound hard. Were there any other big names caught up in it?

And what happened with Steegmans and Boonen? :eek: I couldn't believe it when I heard who won - I can't imagine that Tornado Tom is too happy with that result.

Reports were saying that Tom was making out that he gave the victory to his teammate as they were so far ahead - although EuroSport quotes him saying the opposite. Either way, Steegmans beat him hands down. McEwen didn't make much impression today in the sprint - said he was hurting as well. Can't see Zabel winning a stage again

Hushovd, Bennati and Cavandish (how unlucky is this guy) were also involved in the crash. Here's the video

EDIT: looks like Bennati could be out. In hospital tonight for hip scan.

I also like to watch the Betfair markets as the race unfolds. The markets aren't very liquid and the flat stages mean there isn't much action until the sprint but there are some real novices around to make things interesting ;)

Before today's stage had even started a flood of money came for McEwen to win the stage forcing the price down from 2.9 to 2.0. Unfortunately, it turned out that Eurosport were showing a replay of Stage 1 at the time, and clearly someone thought (I can only surmise) that McEwen was following up today. Expensive lesson.

But better was to come. During the crash Eurosport reported the green jersey had been brought down. Sure enough people starting laying McEwen at 33/1, 50 even 66/1 to win the stage, risking €1000s, even though at this stage he was with the 20 or so riders to have been unaffected - could have been very nasty.

And just to top it all off, Eurosport called Boonen the winner (I think the official timing system went haywire and declared Boonen the unofficial winner) - sure enough a few bet a couple of grand between them at odds down to 1.01 (i.e. 1/100 or 99% certain or for every 100 euro bet they would win 1) that Boonen won - believing it to be a "no-risk sure thing". Unfortunately, they got burned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

So how much to you make Robin;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Robin1982 wrote:
    You can listen to Eurosport's commentary online (here , or with text commentary, here)

With TG4 on in the background (Eurosport are using different pics mind) - plus a live GPS map, you should be set!

The webcast on TG4 is about 20 seconds behind live so if you have Eurosport audio on it may be a little disconcerting - it can be handy to give you a bit of warning though - put eurosport on headphones and you only need tune in to the pictures when something happens - they'll start screaming about a break or a crash and you have 20 seconds then to flick to the tv coverage.

I prefer to brush up on the cupla focal though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

In the last few days I've seen a lot of guys while communting who I'd swear think they are in the tour deFrance. They take off as hard as they can from the lights and then run out of steam about 30 seconds later! Some of them are seriously dangerous though, I saw one guy bombing down through a pedestrian path in Hyde Park at about 30mph and another guy almost took out a lady at a pedestrian crossing on the Uxbridge road!

What a terrific stage today! 4 man breakaway caught within the last 750m, and out of nowhere the yellow jersey attacks, catches the sprinters all napping and just holds on for the victory.

Magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

One of the finest stage wins I have ever had the pleasure to watch, what a ride from Cancellara, the maillot jaune is just not meant to do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

When Wimbledon is on, you often see kids playing tennis out in the streets. Similar thing, probably.
    In the last few days I've seen a lot of guys while communting who I'd swear think they are in the tour deFrance. They take off as hard as they can from the lights and then run out of steam about 30 seconds later! Some of them are seriously dangerous though, I saw one guy bombing down through a pedestrian path in Hyde Park at about 30mph and another guy almost took out a lady at a pedestrian crossing on the Uxbridge road!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

live video streaming link on http://www.channelsurfing.net
    cancellara what a guy best stage win i've seen, remember joop zootemelk in 78 watching the highlights on world of sport sport specials made me buy a raleigh as well (cant forgive himfor that)

Fair play to Cancellara for his stage win yesterday. When on form, that guy is one hard to beat cyclist. I hope he gets to keep wearing yellow for another few days - although stage 5 tomorrow will be a tough, hilly stage.

Anyway, today's stage just finished, with Thor Hushovd taking the honours ahead of Hunter, Freire, Zabel and Napolitano with Boonen back in 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Zabel is amazing - Six green jerseys and always up there in contention. He's 37 now and still cutting the mustard.

Yeah, he's having a great Tour so far. Not as fast as he used to be, but placing consistently and now challenging for green.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Vino dropped 1.20 today after a crash (into a motorbike?).
    don't think it'll affect him though, timewise.....but you never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

More worrying for Vino was the Astana team, they just fell apart around him and his own inability to take back time. Doesn't bode well for Kloden and Vino in the future methinks.

Haven't a clue who is going to win this year(just like last year), no Landis, no Basso etc. Although Cancellara is quickly becoming my new favourite cyclist along with Sastre after that stage victory.I suppose Vino is the standout rider, but I hate to see a cheater like that win the tour yet again.

Advertisement