Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour De France - Live Updates

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

What a complete and utter ****ing prick!
    The sport is dead now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Well the fairytale is over. The belief that one man somehow came back from the dead, defied his doctors and showed us his metal is in pieces. Forgive me though if I'm not at all suprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

iregk wrote:
    Well the fairytale is over. The belief that one man somehow came back from the dead, defied his doctors and showed us his metal is in pieces. Forgive me though if I'm not at all suprised.

Huh? When did Vino nearly die? I don't follow the Cycling that closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

tunney wrote:
    The sport is dead now.

so there will be no races then next year??? come on get real.

it is pretty dire but apparently this year has had twice as much viewing figures as last year...........they will pull themselves out of this i think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

So is the extra pint of blood in the system still the prefered 'doping' method in cycling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

E@gle. wrote:
    nice to see him winning a stage today

i retract this statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

mloc123 wrote:
    So is the extra pint of blood in the system still the prefered 'doping' method in cycling?
    It's one of the more difficult methods to detect and is preferred by those who engage in doping.

Slow coach wrote:
    Huh? When did Vino nearly die? I don't follow the Cycling that closely.

Not literally man :)

What I'm saying is that he was over 8mins back prior to last sat time trial. His doctors had told hiim that his scars from the early crash he had were not healing and to call it a day. He refused saying he wouldn't abandon his team. Came back and blitzed the time trial. Lost over 20mins the day after and won mondays stage in convincing fashion. Literally coming back from the dead.

The blood doping is also a complex issue and as far as I know its the same allegation that Tyler Hamilton was banned for. Essentially they store blood from 6 months back or there abouts and inject it back into the body. I believe its like taking a stimulant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

iregk wrote:
    The blood doping is also a complex issue and as far as I know its the same allegation that Tyler Hamilton was banned for. Essentially they store blood from 6 months back or there abouts and inject it back into the body. I believe its like taking a stimulant.

I had heard that was the big thing in the 80s alright. I presume the extra blood just alllows your heart the pump more and then increases lung capacity and all the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

AndyP wrote:

Thought it was a bit rich of Millar to turn on the waterworks in front of the press, considering his own medical history...

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote:
    I presume the extra blood just alllows your heart the pump more and then increases lung capacity and all the rest.

Well the difference between a lot of professional athletes and us is their ability to turn oxygen into energy and thus sprint faster, longer etc... Blood doping aids this. What you do is you store your blood, at a time when you need it you reinject it. This gives you elevated levels of red cells (i.e. oxygenated cells) and can as a result convert more oxygen to energy etc... Thats a very simplistic way of looking at it.

iregk wrote:
    Not literally man :)

That's cool. :)
    iregk wrote:

Vino was caught because he used blood from another person, so they could identify red blood cells from two different sources. It wasn't his own blood, which is a technique which is much more difficult to pin down.

Thought it was a bit rich of Millar to turn on the waterworks in front of the press, considering his own medical history...

I laughed my head off when I read that. :D

"We all may as well stop now..." :D

I wonder will he shoot himself in the foot by calling for life bans for all drug cheats? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

In case it hasn't been posted before, here's a swish Dutch site that comes alive when the stage gets underway.
    http://http://www.nos.nl/nosstudiosport/wielrennen/tour/2007/live/

Nice big screen, and no cackling Galwaymen that never seem to be watching the race itself and going on about 'teacs' this and 'teacs' that. "Ohhhhhh! Torpedo Tom!"

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Sorry, cocked up the link: here
    oflahero wrote:
    In case it hasn't been posted before, here's a swish Dutch site that comes alive when the stage gets underway.
    http://http://www.nos.nl/nosstudiosport/wielrennen/tour/2007/live/

Nice big screen, and no cackling Galwaymen that never seem to be watching the race itself and going on about 'teacs' this and 'teacs' that. "Ohhhhhh! Torpedo Tom!"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Someone else test positve for Testosterone. They're announcing the name at 2 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I swear my boyfriend was close to tears when I told him that VIno tested positive. I wasn't watching as Vino made his 'comeback' but I was delighted for him, thought he'd been through enough. I know he's denying it but you can't dispute the facts. It's just very very sad, thought he was one of the good guys. :(

oflahero wrote:

Ha ha ha!! So true, I'm a fluent Irish speaker and I can tell you that one of those 'cackling Galwaymen' hasn't got a clue, and the other knows a bit but never gets to say anything cos the other guy is hogging all the air time. (I especially love when he reads out a viewer's question, then asks the other guy, then interrupts to talk about the 'teacs' (actually, it's teach, or tithe, but that's just the teacher in me being picky!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

And the chicken is gone as well...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/tour07/news/?id=/news/2007/jul07/jul26news

Whoops, just saw there is a thread dedicated to Rasmussen... sorry!

• Advertisement

Well that's it.....first Vino, then I wake up to the news that Rasmussen is gone. No words really........

Advertisement