Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boost & Moro

Options
  • 06-07-2007 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

A question I've wanted to ask for a good while now...

What exactly is/was the difference betwen these two?? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think they took Moros off the market, and replaced them with Boosts. Boosts have Guarana in them, some energising thing. I don't think they were very popular, so Moros were brought back. I think Boosts are still available too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Did Boosts have bits of peanuts in them instead of the bits of biscuit that are in Moros as well? Or am I thinking of a different bar altogether? :confused:

Don't know why, but I've always had this thing in my head for years that Boosts had peanuts in them. Though I'm probably way off the mark! :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,311 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Here's what Wikipedia has to say on the matter:
    Boost is a chocolate bar made by Cadbury in the Republic of Ireland, and sold in the UK and Australia. Its wrapper says that it consists of milk chocolate with caramel and biscuit filling. The wrapper also claims that Boost is "Charged with glucose."

Boost was initially launched as a tough, coconut and caramel bar, coated in chocolate (in a red wrapper). It was then relaunched in an a further two variants: a peanut version with peanut butter (yellow wrapper) and a biscuit version (blue wrapper). The coconut version is no longer on sale, while the peanut variant is now called a Starbar. Starbar originally existed before peanut boost but was taken off the market and rebranded. Then they changed their mind and rebranded as Starbar again. The biscuit version is now the standard Boost bar. A further version was launched in the UK in 2002 with a green wrapper: this contained guarana; was marketed alongside the biscuit Boost; and advertised with the slogan "Boost Guarana: One Step Ahead". All Boost bar variants are manufactured at Cadbury's Dublin factory and exported to the UK and elsewhere.

For a while Boost was advertised on television by comedy duo Reeves and Mortimer. This led to the unconventional advertising slogan "It's slightly rippled with a flat under-side."

In Ireland, Boost bars are known as Moro bars. There is currently (May 2007) a limited-edition coconut Moro on sale in Ireland.

The Boost bar has been released in New Zealand under the popular Moro brand as Moro Gold.

The entry for Moro says this:
    Moro is the brand name of two different versions of chocolate bar made by Cadbury.

One bar consists of nougat, biscuit and caramel filling and chocolate covering. The wrapper is blue, with the 'Moro' logo in yellow. It is available in Ireland. In May 2006, Moro Peanut was launched, with the words "Formerly Starbar" displayed prominently on the label, the wrapper on this variant is red. (The same bar continues to be known as Starbar in the United Kingdom.) In the summer of 2007 a Coconut Moro bar was released as a limited edition in Ireland. The wrapper is white with the Moro logo in blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

well I think that answers that.....there is always someone out there who will go and find an answer to your question :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

hell in my day it was Nunch!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

You can still get Boost in Ireland, though, can't you?

I think they tried to rebrand moros as Boost here and it didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

from what I can see, No, Boosts are no longer available. They had released some kind of weird variation, Boost with Guarana. But I havent seen one now for quite a while.

This may be ridiculous, but I just preferred Boosts to Moro's.....they may have very well been the exact same bar in two seperate wrappers.But for me, Boosts just always tasted better. :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

mcauley wrote:
    from what I can see, No, Boosts are no longer available. They had released some kind of weird variation, Boost with Guarana. But I havent seen one now for quite a while.

This may be ridiculous, but I just preferred Boosts to Moro's.....they may have very well been the exact same bar in two seperate wrappers.But for me, Boosts just always tasted better. :confused:

Boosts always tasted more sugary to me, although having a Moro recently and I can't tell the difference.

They definitely tried a rebrand - I remember seeing the Boost labels with "the new name for Moro" on them. Obviously didn't fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Ohhhh I think Moro's have to be my favourite bar, they are so delicous and the coconut moro is amazing. Funny to think I avoided them for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭blade1

An old thread but I just bought a Boost today in Youghal.
    What's going on??
    I thought they were called Moro with Years?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

blade1 wrote: »
    An old thread but I just bought a Boost today in Youghal.
    What's going on??
    I thought they were called Moro with Years?

Some shops, particularly English ones like Boots, sell them as boost

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

UK wholesale prices can be a lot cheaper for lots of things, this is why people should not be quick to point the finger at retailers here, in effect shooting the messenger.

So lots of shops will source bars intended for the UK market, like €2 shops and other shops who do not care about going against distributors & manufacturers wishes. So its unlikely to see a boost or can of Coke with arabic writing in Dunnes, but it might be in the local chipper or €2 shop.

An interesting case below.
    Diageo has agreed to slash the price of Guinness to the company which runs the bars in Dublin’s new Aviva Stadium at Lansdowne Road, after the company threatened to import supplies from Britain.

Irish publicans pay €131.66 for a 50-litre keg of Guinness. The ex-duty price of the same keg to the on-trade in Britain is half that, at £54.15 (€66). Even after payment of Irish duty, the cost of importing Guinness to Ireland would be only €99.33 per keg, a saving of 33 per cent.
    The UK stuff would be brewed here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

are Boost bars that you get nowadays just the old Moro bar or are they something different? Had been on the lookout for a Moro for a couple of years now but have never found one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

Forget boosts and moros, and just go for a Catch - still made in Trinidad (originally made in Tallaght by HB chocolate)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭French Toast

2007-2013-2024 is some run for thread bumps.

Moro are a great bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Advertisement