Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensing My Program

Options
  • 06-07-2007 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I have just created a web application in php. I have to present this to a number of people in the next few weeks. I want to protect the work that I have done so that any future developments with the project have to be approved by me and that I remain in control of the application unless I say otherwise. How can I go about protecting my work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Well, as far as I can see with this, there are two facets:

1) Protecting the idea of your application
    2) Protecting the code that implements the idea

Neither are particularly straightforward; of the two, the second (protecting the code) is a little more attainable - don't share the code until you get what you want, or obfuscate it if you have to. Protecting the _idea_, on the other hand, is virtually impossible, short of some sort of patent or similar, but even then you have to be prepared to defend that patent for it to mean anything. Even at that, Europe doesn't (yet) have software patents, which I believe to be a good thing.

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭sh_o

If it is an application that you think you can market and make money from by selling it, then you should probably speak to a lawyer to get the license drafted properly for you.
    Otherwise you could use a 'standard licence' that is freely modifiable, then you would just need to put an extra few terms/ amend some terms in the permitted uses or authorised uses sections to reflect what you want.

I am not sure if the Irish Software Association or similar organisations provide freely modifiable licence precedent agreements - maybe someone else on here can help on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

No way you can protect the idea if its a software application. Don't worry though most people won't bother stealing the idea even if its amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

aidanmcg wrote:
    I have just created a web application in php. I have to present this to a number of people in the next few weeks. I want to protect the work that I have done so that any future developments with the project have to be approved by me and that I remain in control of the application unless I say otherwise. How can I go about protecting my work?

Sounds like you need an NDA. That's a Non Disclosure Agreement. You'll need a solicitor to write one up for you. Get all the parties viewing your app and code to sign it.

If this is a college project then it may be that the college already legally own your code. You'll need to check that yourself.

Advertisement