Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

torrents friendly ISP

Options
  • 06-07-2007 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

hi guys,

i am moving this weekend to royal canal park and i was looking for the available ISPs there.

to my dissapointment i found out that smart is not available in that area...
    so i started checking this board and the internet and i saw that all the ISPs i found as available are having usage limitations (something that smart doesnt).

so the question guys is, do you know any other ISP that is torrent friendly?

how is the irishbroadband performing with torrents?

thanks a lot in advance for the help

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

UTV have an unlimited option (reasonable usage etc) for an extra €5-6 per month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

i hear ibb dont block any websites but their ripwave is crap,the breeze is supposed to be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭yan

delllat wrote:
    i hear ibb dont block any websites but their ripwave is crap,the breeze is supposed to be good

hmmm and the person who answered my phone on their support told me that royal canal park is not available for the breeze service even though their site shows it as been available....

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

by torrent friendly what do you mean?

no caps?
    good download speeds?
    no ports blocked?

event wrote:
    by torrent friendly what do you mean?

no caps?
    good download speeds?
    no ports blocked?

no caps and no ports blocked,

i was using smart before (the 3mb service) and there where days that i had 30 GB downloaded!!!!!!!

i know this is too much but smtg like 5-10 per day is what i am looking for

i saw ntl gives 20 gb cap per month.... so u can understand that this is nothing for me. also i need it for online gaming...

thanks

• Advertisement

digiweb have a package that has 120gig cap per month if i remember correctly,the only downside is its a bit pricey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

yan wrote:
    hmmm and the person who answered my phone on their support told me that royal canal park is not available for the breeze service even though their site shows it as been available....

any ideas?

Try ringing back and see do you get someone who doesn't have a hangover from last night and is willing to talk to customers. Also try telling them it says your area is covered on the website.

Using breeze in Maynooth to play Xbox Live and to download torrents and am getting 200KB/s down on torrents (roughly) on a 2Mbps connection.

When it goes bad at 5-7 some evenings, its because of contention I think but it usually stays at about 80KB/s all the time. I've had it drop to 30KB/s at one point but that was only one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Dont worry about the NTL cap, with their poor service and traffic shaping
    limiting torrents to 10-30kps down you will never hit it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah dont go NTL if you want to use torrents.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

yan wrote:
    no caps and no ports blocked,

i was using smart before (the 3mb service) and there where days that i had 30 GB downloaded!!!!!!!

i know this is too much but smtg like 5-10 per day is what i am looking for

i saw ntl gives 20 gb cap per month.... so u can understand that this is nothing for me. also i need it for online gaming...

thanks

you want to be able to download/upload 5Gig a day?

thats 150Gig a month?

what on earth are you doing that you need that much traffic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I know eircom isn't that popular but if there's no other alternative go with them as they don't charge if you exceed the cap and afaik they dont block torrents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

The unlimited UTV has no caps and no blocked ports.

plazzTT wrote:
    The unlimited UTV has no caps and no blocked ports.

thanks a lot mate,

i have sent them an email 5 days ago to ask for availability and they still havent come back to me....

should i take it as a warning of professional customer care????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

yan wrote:
    i have sent them an email 5 days ago to ask for availability and they still havent come back to me....

should i take it as a warning of professional customer care????

No, all ISP's are like that. Don't email, ring them. You will be waiting a long time for an email reply.

IrishTLR wrote:
    No, all ISP's are like that. Don't email, ring them. You will be waiting a long time for an email reply.

ok, fair enough. i just called them and they said that the only way to check availability is ONLY if i have a telephone number....

the building is brand new and there are NO phone numbers there....

i explained to this lovely assistant and she said she is soooo sorry but she cant help

...no further comments.....

UTV's service works off eircom's lines so you have to have an eircom phone line to get it AFAIK.

Do you know when the building is getting phone lines or if it is?

yan wrote:
    ok, fair enough. i just called them and they said that the only way to check availability is ONLY if i have a telephone number....

the building is brand new and there are NO phone numbers there....

i explained to this lovely assistant and she said she is soooo sorry but she cant help

...no further comments.....

To be honest, they are 100% correct. It's a little bit unpredictable to know IF you can get DSL on a future line even in a DSL enabled area. Thank the network for that.

brim4brim wrote:
    UTV's service works off eircom's lines so you have to have an eircom phone line to get it AFAIK.

Do you know when the building is getting phone lines or if it is?

ok the building is wired for eircom phonelines BUT would you pay eircom to activate you the line JUST to get a quote from any ISP???

i think not.....

and if they were serious as ISP i think they could put some more effort to have availability maps based on areas or they should put a little more effort to help me there...

how much i do miss smart telecom.......... :( even though they have a poor customer service their internet was soooo good

anyway guys thanks a lot for all the help

it seems like i will have to give IBB a go and see how ripwave works in that area, as it seems to be my only option

I live in a house in blocked by high buildings in dublin1 city centre,the phone line is unable to sustain broadband,croke park blocks my house on 1 side and a large apartment block and hotel block the other so most wireless services are out,I called digiweb and the guy in sales said it will work at my address so i signed up,will be about 3 weeks til connection
    I wont get my hopes up cause im expecting to be told due to the geography of the area i wont get a signal but ive been using ripwave for nearly 2 years and its the ****test product on the market by a long way
    recently i tried wireless broadband from 3 but was less than happy with it so returned it and now im having a trial on o2 broadband
    if ripwave is your only option then go ahead but coming ffrom smart 3mg to ripwave ur in for a shock

yan wrote:
    ok the building is wired for eircom phonelines BUT would you pay eircom to activate you the line JUST to get a quote from any ISP???

i think not.....

and if they were serious as ISP i think they could put some more effort to have availability maps based on areas or they should put a little more effort to help me there...

how much i do miss smart telecom.......... :( even though they have a poor customer service their internet was soooo good

it seems like i will have to give IBB a go and see how ripwave works in that area, as it seems to be my only option

Just before you go, I can't let you leave with your scewed view on DSL ISP's.

NO ISP in Ireland can give you availability maps that are GUARANTEED to work on ALL phone lines. If you are in an eircom DSL available area, then you are also in a UTV available area. It's down to the quality of the phone line UNDER GROUND [or over] that is the problem. There is no way to tell, from looking at an availability map, whether your physical phone cable is of high enough quality.

There is also the question of the length of the cable. You can't just draw a straight line on a map, from your house to the exchange and think that's the length of cable. There are many twists and turns, and probably loads just rolled up lying under ground somewhere.

There could be little nicks in it, that might not affect voice calls but could affect DSL quality.

There are MANY, MANY things that can affect whether your line can get DSL reliably. A simple map, or ANY map for that matter, can NEVER give you a reliable picture on DSL availability.

Again, you can thank the network for this mess. It will remain this way until the Network is analyses line by line or FULLY upgraded. Do you know how long you will be waiting for that?

EDIT : Not even Smart Telecom can guarantee their service will work without performing a line test. And yes, you will need a phone line before Smart will do this test. Unless you had an existing DSL capable line with another provider, then port it to Smart. THEN they MAY guarantee availability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Not sure if this is usefull or not! but here goes

do NOT go near clearwire as an ISP if you want to use torrents or P2P. They have a large number of ports blocked and you wont be able to use any of the torrent or p2p software as a result.

I have had a few issues where they even blocked port 2222 used by some hosting providers to access their control panel! :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

event wrote:
    you want to be able to download/upload 5Gig a day?

thats 150Gig a month?

what on earth are you doing that you need that much traffic?

Its very easy to use that much bandwidth in a day however much of it is of questionable legality ;)

Nobody downloads 5GB's of Linux ISO's everyday :)

tommycahir wrote:
    Not sure if this is usefull or not! but here goes

do NOT go near clearwire as an ISP if you want to use torrents or P2P. They have a large number of ports blocked and you wont be able to use any of the torrent or p2p software as a result.

I have had a few issues where they even blocked port 2222 used by some hosting providers to access their control panel! :mad:

thanks m8,

i read a lot this forum before i post a question, and yes i saw people's opinion about clearwire so they are not a option for me....

thanks!

Cabaal wrote:
    Its very easy to use that much bandwidth in a day however much of it is of questionable legality ;)

Nobody downloads 5GB's of Linux ISO's everyday :)

i do ;) do you? :p

IrishTLR wrote:
    Just before you go, I can't let you leave with your scewed view on DSL ISP's.

NO ISP in Ireland can give you availability maps that are GUARANTEED to work on ALL phone lines. If you are in an eircom DSL available area, then you are also in a UTV available area. It's down to the quality of the phone line UNDER GROUND [or over] that is the problem. There is no way to tell, from looking at an availability map, whether your physical phone cable is of high enough quality.

There is also the question of the length of the cable. You can't just draw a straight line on a map, from your house to the exchange and think that's the length of cable. There are many twists and turns, and probably loads just rolled up lying under ground somewhere.

There could be little nicks in it, that might not affect voice calls but could affect DSL quality.

There are MANY, MANY things that can affect whether your line can get DSL reliably. A simple map, or ANY map for that matter, can NEVER give you a reliable picture on DSL availability.

Again, you can thank the network for this mess. It will remain this way until the Network is analyses line by line or FULLY upgraded. Do you know how long you will be waiting for that?

EDIT : Not even Smart Telecom can guarantee their service will work without performing a line test. And yes, you will need a phone line before Smart will do this test. Unless you had an existing DSL capable line with another provider, then port it to Smart. THEN they MAY guarantee availability.

you are VERY VERY right!

point taken and i do agree with you

but shouldnt they tell me on the phone the information you just explained me?

i wonder....

thanks anyway once again

yan wrote:
    you are VERY VERY right!

point taken and i do agree with you

but shouldnt they tell me on the phone the information you just explained me?

i wonder....

thanks anyway once again

Well you were probably through to the sales department who know nothing about DSL. I work in a company as Tech Support and 90% of my calls are from the sales department who promised a client that our service could do x,y and z and then they ring me and ask me how their client can use these features. In some cases, the features don't exist and there is no plan to make them part of our service and they have just lied to the client about it so they can get their commission.
    yan wrote:

i think not.....

BTW, rip wave isn't supposed to be great (as in its terrible and like Clearwire you should expect terrible speeds). If I was you, I'd do my best to get IBB Breeze.

unfortunately they dont allow installation of antennas in that developement....

i would prefer breeze if they would....

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hornet

In the context of yan's 150 GByte per months I remembered reading an article in one of the downmarket Sunday papers (Irish Mail on Sunday):

Article start
    Music Pirates mostly foreign

Foreigners make up the bulk of the 23 people the Irish Record Music Association (IRMA) is set to act against for illegally sharing music online.

They are facing fines of between EUR 3,000 and EUR 25,000 each.

For the past six months, IRMA has been monitoring file-sharing websites and online networks in a bid to collect evidence and the all-important Internet Protocol (IP) numbers or "addresses" og those involved.

The address - which act as a PC's access point onto the Internet - uniquely identify who is using a computer at a specific time and from a specific modem.

IRMA specifically targeted all IP addresses within ranges allocated to Ireland's main Internet Service Providers including Eircom, Irish Broadband and Digiweb but had to go to the High Court to force them to hand over the names and street addresses of the 23 people IRMA were specifically interested in.

Article end

Somewhere else I read that there were a good few more ISP targetted and ultimately forced to hand over names and addresses.

And in the same direction:
    In an Irish Times article some weeks ago the writer described how he got a call from BT telling him that he was on a list of people for which the revelation of name and address was requested from BT because he had downloaded and shared a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

also just be wary of breeze too, a lot of people who are online gamers will testify against it.

my mate had it and there was nothing worse than when we were playing a league cs1.6 match and his ping just shoots up to 500ms and after like 2 minutes he disconnects.

in the end it happened so much he got rid of it and got eircom BB

• Advertisement

Hornet wrote:
    In the context of yan's 150 GByte per months I remembered reading an article in one of the downmarket Sunday papers (Irish Mail on Sunday):

Article start
    Music Pirates mostly foreign

Foreigners make up the bulk of the 23 people the Irish Record Music Association (IRMA) is set to act against for illegally sharing music online.

They are facing fines of between EUR 3,000 and EUR 25,000 each.

For the past six months, IRMA has been monitoring file-sharing websites and online networks in a bid to collect evidence and the all-important Internet Protocol (IP) numbers or "addresses" og those involved.

The address - which act as a PC's access point onto the Internet - uniquely identify who is using a computer at a specific time and from a specific modem.

IRMA specifically targeted all IP addresses within ranges allocated to Ireland's main Internet Service Providers including Eircom, Irish Broadband and Digiweb but had to go to the High Court to force them to hand over the names and street addresses of the 23 people IRMA were specifically interested in.

Article end

Somewhere else I read that there were a good few more ISP targetted and ultimately forced to hand over names and addresses.

And in the same direction:
    In an Irish Times article some weeks ago the writer described how he got a call from BT telling him that he was on a list of people for which the revelation of name and address was requested from BT because he had downloaded and shared a movie.

you are right my friend....

its the foreigners doing ALL the illegal stuff in ireland, its the foreigners who create all the mess here, its them responsible for the high crime rates...

you are soooo right!

well done mate

Advertisement