Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lighten Things Up

Options
  • 06-07-2007 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Guys,

After the terrible events yesterday , lets lighten the place up a bit.

Who here has been in a un-powered aircraft ?

I took a trip in a balloon once , had a great time , quite weird because of course there is no wind up there at all ( you are travelling with the wind ).

Never been in a glider , quite fancy it actually .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ballooning is really fun but sadly Ireland is not really suitable. Yes, you get to fly a lot if you have your own balloon, loads of time to spend and a crew ready to help. Still it's a beautiful way to see the countryside of a fine evening.

Gliding is cool and can really build flying skills.
    Now not getting into what type of flying is better argument.
    Sadly gliding in Ireland has taken a bit of hit with DGCs problems, but that's a long story.

Paragliding is nice, afterall you get to sit down rather than that lying face down you get with hangliding.
    Also never wear slip on shoes, it can be embarassing.

BTW in case people start mentioning parachuting, it is not flying, it is falling unless of course you are that French guy that actaully turns himself into human glider. Now that takes some balls.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

had a 30 minute flight in glider a few years back with Dublin Glider Club (ASk-13?), great feeling :)

Yes it woudl be the two seater K13.
    They are nice old wooden ship although they creak a bit.
    Disconcerting first time you fly a wooden glider when all you hear is the odd creaks and the wind gushing by.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

jmayo wrote:
    Yes it woudl be the two seater K13.
    They are nice old wooden ship although they creak a bit.
    Disconcerting first time you fly a wooden glider when all you hear is the odd creaks and the wind gushing by.

that was the one - white with blue yellow stripes? think i saw some headline in mag that the Dublin Club is not operating at present.

ambasite wrote:
    that was the one - white with blue yellow stripes? think i saw some headline in mag that the Dublin Club is not operating at present.

Yep that would be true. They can't operate form Gowran Grange for the moment. Tis a long story involving a few trips to court as well.
    AFAIK some of the gear has moved to Bellarena i.e. the Ulster Gliding Club and some has moved to Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
Advertisement