Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clusters

Options
  • 06-07-2007 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Was doing a lot of cycling, soccer and Tennis over the last couple of months, taking a bit of a break from the heavy weights.

Lost a fair bit on my lifts as expected, so decided to revisit something I used years ago to good effect in order to get over a plateau called clusters - I'm sure others call it something different. Anyway, going to do it for a month on the Bench to see how I go - It's also great for me as I don't have a whole lot of time for my workouts (30 min max)

First off, needed to get my one rep max - I managed one good rep of 100kg last week and didn't feel I could get another, so that's my starting point - nice and even.
    So 85% of that (85kg) should be a weight where I can get 5 good reps. I will only be doing one 'working set' on this program, but it's pretty intense and I'm hoping to add 2.5Kg a week to my lift. I want to get back to a 120 kg lift - so this should take me to 115 anyway in four weeks. (we'll see)

Here's my first bench session using clusters

20kg - 10 reps
    70kg - 10 reps
    85kg - 5 reps (replace bar and 7 second rest)
    2 more reps (replace bar 7 second rest)
    2 more reps (replace bar 10 second rest)
    2 more reps (replace bar 10 second rest) shattered
    1 Final rep (replace bar) totally shattered

Everything else I done after this - Dips etc, I struggled with big time - but that's fine. The idea anyway is to get one good full set of 10-12 reps of a weight where you could normally only get 5.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

Here's how I got on - quite well, the first five reps felt good in that I felt that I could probably have managed a sixth, just. Confident for 90 for 5 in my next session - which I could not have done last week.

Warm up set 20 kg - 10 reps
    Warm up set 70 kg - 10 reps
    87.5 kg - 5 reps (replace bar and 6 second rest)
    2 more reps (replace bar 6 second rest)
    2 more reps (replace bar 8 second rest)
    2 more reps (replace bar 9 second rest)
    1 Final rep (replace bar)

Again, upper body is really shattered after it, and really struggled on dips after it, but I don't mind that.

Warm up set 70 kg - 10 reps
    90 kg - 5 reps (replace bar and 9 sec rest) - struggled to make the initial five
    2 more reps (replace bar 9 sec rest)
    2 more reps (replace bar 10 sec rest)

Going well - can't see myself getting five at 92.5 next time, but if I get four, I'll be happy...

Session four
    Warm up set 72.5 kg - 10 reps
    92.5 kg - 4 reps (replace bar and 10 sec rest) - Didn't want to risk five, but wasn't shot after four

Session Five
    Warm up set 75 kg - 10 reps
    95 kg - 4 reps (replace bar and 10 sec rest) - a very tough four, but made it
    1 more rep (replace bar 10 sec rest)
    1 more rep (replace bar 12 sec rest)
    1 Final rep (replace bar) shattered, but going well

Advertisement