Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Small dent - new car

Options
  • 06-07-2007 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭

My mother's 320d has once again been on the receiving end of an unfortunate accident. A builder in a Land Cruiser commercial opened a door into the rear side panel of the car, leaving a chip/dent just above the wheel arch. The builder and his insurance company have admitted liability. Thing is, I don't want to have the whole panel painted. Can anyone recommend a really good chips away type outfit? I'm very fussy, i've seen Carcraft's work and wasn't impressed. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Why don't you want the whole panel painted? If you're worried about it matching the panels around it, get the ones either side done and blended by the best/most expensive paint shop you can find. Seeing as they've admitted liability cutting corners or considering anything less than an impeccable job shouldn't be a consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Why don't you want the whole panel painted? If you're worried about it matching the panels around it, get the ones either side done and blended by the best/most expensive paint shop you can find. Seeing as they've admitted liability cutting corners or considering anything less than an impeccable job shouldn't be a consideration.
    To be honest, even the best work is never quite as good as an unrepaired car. Plus, I have a bit of a thing about originality.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Yeah, I know what you mean... I can't think of any of those places that stand out though, most have had mixed views from people - seems to be luck of the draw, but I suppose it really comes down to the exact nature of the chip/dent and the individual technician who carries out the job. I understand your pain though, I'm currently weighing up the pros and cons of repairing some rust on one of my doors versus replacing the door - trying to decide which will stand out the least...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

Anan1 wrote:
    To be honest, even the best work is never quite as good as an unrepaired car. Plus, I have a bit of a thing about originality.

Chips away and them can't work where there are seams and folds from what I understand.

tbh though, unless the car is going to be put in a glass case it will pick up blemishes over its life. It's annoying though.

maidhc wrote:
    tbh though, unless the car is going to be put in a glass case it will pick up blemishes over its life. It's annoying though.
    Yeah, i'm starting to tilt towards just leaving it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

get a new panel!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think I recommended them the last time as well, but Exclusive Autobody in Bray are excellent - but I don't know if they do the blemish type touch ups as well as the more serious crash stuff.

eoin_s wrote:
    I think I recommended them the last time as well, but Exclusive Autobody in Bray are excellent
    You did, and if i'd had more sense i would have listened to you rather than letting Maxwell Motors bring it down the local creche and let the kids do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Anan1 wrote:
    You did, and if i'd had more sense i would have listened to you rather than letting Maxwell Motors bring it down the local creche and let the kids do it.

Oh dear - I never read the follow up to that. No harm giving them a call and see if they do the smaller repairs...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Anan1 wrote:
    I remember the previous thread and IIRC there was a lot of hype about "BMW approved" bodyshops and how great they were. I take it your experience didn't live up to the hype then?

• Advertisement
Advertisement