Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nikel reaction to VCH?

Options
  • 06-07-2007 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I have had my ears pierced since I was about 12yrs old. However, I have never been able to wear cheap earings. My ears flare up and go weepy. Even at the moment I am wearing silver earings and my ears are sore.
    My problem is that I really want to get a vch very soon. I am just afraid that I will be sensitive to the metal. I know I can just let it close up if it doesn't work out but should I even bother in the first place?:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

You shouldn't have a reaction to the type of steel used in good quality piercing jewelery as its implant grade surgical steel, That said if you're worried about it you can use titanium instead

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SplashBack

There is no nickel in surgical steel (i.e. the jewellery you should get when pierced) or in titanium so you shouldn't have to worry about that. I have a nickel allergy and have had no problems with any of my body jewellery. Just make sure you get pierced by a reputable piercer who can answer any questions you may have confidently and can advise you on future jewellery purchases. I've found with the allergy that all I need to do is buy slightly more expensive jewellery than the side of the road stuff. Silver can contain traces of nickel even the "nickel free" ones.

I personally prefer to buy titanium when I can afford it but either should not cause you any problems. If you're concerned about an allergy on such a sensitive area, then test out the jewellery around your neck for a few days or use tit tape and tape it to somewhere that gets warm and maybe a little sweaty during the day (armpit, between the breasts) and you will soon see a reaction if you have a relatively strong allergy. If you only have a mild allergy then you may not know if you are allergic until you get the piercing.

Hope this helped. Good luck what ever you decide to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Same as SplashBack, I have a very severe nickel allergy and I have absolutely no problems with any of my piercings as long as I always keep surgical steel/titanium jewellery in them. I have found from experience that titanium tends to be better, but you may find it makes no difference which you use.
    Any reputable piercer will use surgical grade steel when you get your piercing done.

Silver contains traces of nickel, this is why the silver jewellery is irritating you, and gold is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

you could use titanium if youre worried about it

Advertisement