Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange Migration [Thread Split]

Options
  • 06-07-2007 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

yeah see because i've been here for such a long time, the network had become quite a long project for me, when i first joined it was incredably unstable, mail crashing every other day, switches dying, server falling over.

Now i can boast a 99.99% uptime from last year (have figures to prove it as well somewhere) from my first 3 years work. Now im back to fixing more entertaining problems, as out network is now completly up to date (ad 2003, exchange 2007, cisco voip etc etc.) considering when i first started off they were using nt4 sp4 with exchange 5, with no intentions of upgrading.

They didn't even have a firewall or anything which i thought was shocking for a small multinational company!

Got the security stuff all done in the first year, migrates to ad 2000 and exchange 2000 in the second year, upgraded all of the workstations to 2000 in the second year, then upgraded to exchange 2003 and ad 2003 half way through the third year, and all workstations to xp at the end of the fourth year, Early this year i upgraded to exchange 2007, office 2007 and a few vista machines.

But because everything is fairly straight forward of you know what i mean, it gives me more time to solve those more "entertaining" problems for a better word. and a lot more time to study (still have to get my qualifications yet after 6 years!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

How did you find the migration from exchange 2003 to 2007? Any benefits in performance or features?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

The new webmail features are excellent, the miggration was simple, made a crappy server another exchange box, transferred all my mailboxes and crap onto that one,

prepared active directory for 2007 and then re-installed my 2003 box with 2007..

then transferred the mailboxes back, removes all other instances of 2003 and install a 2007 front end server for webmail.

Was a sinch.

no complaints from users, and the built in voicemail works nicely with my voip ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I was wondering where the hell these posts went! Any problems with exchange 2007 being 64 bit only?

Advertisement