Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An off-season for wrestlers?

• 06-07-2007 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

I heard Marc Mero mention this point in one of his interviews on the Benoit tragedy and I feel it's an idea worth considering.

I know it's highly unlikely to happen as the WWE appears intent on cramming as much wrestling as possible into the calendar, but it seems to me like a break of say two or three months, as happens with football, would do the wrestler's health and morale the world of good. They could also maybe take an extended break over the Christmas period as ratings seems to dip around that time anyway so a few weeks off for Christmas and the New Year doesn't seem that bad an idea.

What are your thoughts? As I said above it's very unlikely but if it were to happen would you be in favour of it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

I can't ever see Vince going for a complete break every year. I think they would have a hard time getting some fans back watching after a break.
    I would like to see a staggered system of time off. Different stars taking time off at different times. I actually think this is something they need to do and it would also be good for business. Some of the most exciting storylines in WWE these days involve wrestlers returning, either through announcements or surprise returns. It would also create more spots for younger stars if they know everyone will take time off at certain times each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Yeah, I think a staggered system would be best. They've got plenty of guys under contract, they shouldn't be struggling to find people to put on tv if they have 7 or 8 guys on a break at any one point

I think it was Wade Keller at PWTorch who suggested giving wrestlers 6 weeks off twice a year. I think that would work well, as 6 weeks really isn't that long in wrestling terms, they'd be missing 2 ppvs at most

Obviously it's a good idea in people terms to give the wrestlers time off, so you only have to justify it in wrestling terms. Having a top star off tv for a while should give midcarders the chance to step up a level, plus the lower card guys could step up to midcard then. When the top guy comes back, everyone who stepped up should look stronger when they go back to their original level. I'm not entirely sure I'd trust WWE to book it that well, but there are definitely ways to make it work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Figure Four but particularly the Torch have been pushing this since the whole Benoit tragedy began.

The Torch has been advocating 2 six week periods off throughout the year with guys alternating so that the shows can go on.

I really can't see why any fan would be against it and I'd love to see it happening. The WWE might take a small hit from it but its not like they can't afford it.

Plus, like the last poster said, if they did it correctly especially with the amount of ppvs today, it could actually benefit them by keeping characters and story lines fresh.

I don't think it'll happen but who knows what'll come out of all the media interest. Hopefully, something good for the wrestlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Throw the draft into the off season and work new storylines and you could have a cracking ppv as the opener of the new season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I'm all for it, they could throw in cliff hanger endings before the break and return with a PPV. I think 6 weeks off around Xmas could be good, returning for the Royal Rumble. Maybe 3-4 weeks off in the summer, but I think 6 weeks at xmas would be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the year should end at wrestlemania,everything should lead up to that and then break after the next nights raw for a few weeks,they usually have a post wrestlemania slump anyway so thatd be the right time to do it

They have a big enough roster to rotate guys around if they didn't want to stop for a month. I could never see Vince just stopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

A break would do wonders for wrestlers' bodies, which could help prevent injuries and allow them to continue wrestling until later in their lives. There is a small worry about ring rust, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Ring rust happens when the wrestlers return from injuries and haven't been training at all. Which would happen alot less if they were giving time off to rest. I'd say giving the wrestlers an off season would be good for the wrestlers but it wouldn't help WWE much. If more wrestlers were giving the chance to make a name for themselves, then you wouldn't have the same guys being used all year long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The thing you'd have to consider though is how some old timers might react to it. Guys like Regal or Finlay or Kane probably take pride in the fact that they wrestle so much and they probably enjoy it. I'm not saying that they'd rather keep wrestling than spend time with their families, but I'm sure there is something ingrained in their minds at this stage that the only reason they shouldn't be wrestling is if they're injured

Guys like CM Punk might find it a little pointless too. He's worked a busier schedule in the past than he's working at the moment just because he loves to wrestle. I'm not sure if he could hack not wrestling for 6 weeks! He was back in less time than that when he fractured his skull. If WWE let some guys wrestle on some indy shows during their time off it could solve the problem of guys who don't want to stop wrestling and any problem with ring rust

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote:
    Guys like CM Punk might find it a little pointless too. He's worked a busier schedule in the past than he's working at the moment just because he loves to wrestle. I'm not sure if he could hack not wrestling for 6 weeks!

He might find it pointless when he is in his 20's. If somebody asks him when he's 40, he might have a different opinion.

Let them go help out developmental talents in OVW or Florida if they get bored. If anything, breaks would improve the quality of wrestling as guys would be given a chance to re-charge and re-couperate nagging injuries.

I don't buy the ingrained notion that everyone loves to be involved in the wrestling business constantly, week after week. The thing about working as a wrestler is that its not just about wrestling. Its the politics, the pressure to keep your spot, to look good, the travel and the constant grind week after week, year after year. The actual wrestling is only apart of the business.

I do buy the ingrained notion that some guys love to wrestle and only feel they can/should stop when they're absolutely at the end of their rope in terms of injuries.There are loads of examples (look for a recent article on the Big Show for 1). That has to end and thats why the mandatory 6 weeks, twice a year idea works so well. The old macho mentality of never stopping, that Vince himself promotes has to change. It might benefit him and indeed his company too.

It must be so hard for families in wrestling currently. The benefits of something like this would be so great. It would bring much needed normality to people who work in an abnormal enviornment. Simples things that wrestlers often miss like picking their kids up from school regularly, or watching them play sports, birthday parties, or coaching a team or going on a long vacation would be a reality.

This is 2007. The company is floated on the stock exchange. It makes roughly 15 million dollars each quarter of the year. Treat the wrestlers who helped the company get to this point and carry it forward as human beings and not as disposable, brainwashed circus animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Fozzy wrote:
    The thing you'd have to consider though is how some old timers might react to it. Guys like Regal or Finlay or Kane probably take pride in the fact that they wrestle so much and they probably enjoy it.
    Well, Kane for one could certainly do with some time off to get back in shape.

Advertisement