Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ads in threads.....

Options
  • 06-07-2007 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Boo-urns to it!

I dunno, annoy anyone else?

*awaits multiple "no" answers*
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Nein.

Now...wha'?!
    Adverts.ie adverts? If so: User control panel: Do you want to be shown classifieds from adverts.ie? > set to No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Since when are there adds in threads? I would't like that at all at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

If you arent logged in. Personally i only log in to post, 90% of visits i wouldnt bother.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Regi is testing something I believe.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Just noticed that earlier my self too. I panicked until I read the " small " print :o

Hj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Im generally always logged in so doesnt bother me in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Thats the second little change I've seen to encourage you to log in. Got to be usage tracking or something.

Big brother is watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

More google page impressions and clicks = more money = more services = more beer moneh = more happy users = more yays \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

For the registered & logged in - there are no ads, most websites that I have seen (that advertise on-board) have much more screenspace devoted to ads than here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Not a problem, just click remember me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Gordon wrote:
    For the registered & logged in - there are no ads, most websites that I have seen (that advertise on-board) have much more screenspace devoted to ads than here.

yep tiny banner ad is more than fair.... can't image it pays for much coke & hookers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Spankeh wrote:
    More google page impressions and clicks = more money = more services = more beer moneh = more happy users = more yays \o/

Yes, but only the evil admins gain from then prosperous venture !

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Regi has a theory about the affect of such a thing, so he's testing it out. Personally I dont like the idea but I may be being reactionary (me? no nevar!) :)

Oh and I'm still waiting for my first ever cheque from Boards, I hope it gets here fast because the hookers are begining to form a union...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hmmm, whats maxing the servers these days? Can the max be altered by encouraging people to log-in / out?

The servers, when they are behaving themselves, seem pretty capable of handling the load and we are seeing user-numbers climb. There isnt much of a difference between the load of a logged in user and a guest.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

DeVore wrote:
    Oh and I'm still waiting for my first ever cheque from Boards, I hope it gets here fast because the hookers are begining to form a union...

Dude, you're making it sound like we've got the chequebook out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Hey Mr regi, j00 owe me a reward.

Yes, yes you do!

(Lock.gif)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

i hardly log in unless im posting. because of some script which only appears on boards keeps slowing me down.. stupid thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Use the add-on Noscript (if your using FF2) and it should cure that.

thrill wrote:

great will try that at home later thanks

• Advertisement

thrill wrote:

have installed the noscript add on boards is way faster, but the menu at the top has disappeared, do you know any way to get around this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Tha Gopher wrote:
    If you arent logged in. Personally i only log in to post, 90% of visits i wouldnt bother.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

For some reason I'm getting ads in the threads. I don't get it at work though. :confused: Quite puzzling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

For some reason I'm getting ads in the threads. I don't get it at work though. :confused: Quite puzzling.
    When you're logged in or out? Does your workplace usually show Google served ads on sites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I'm not logged in and I don't see ads. I see a thing telling me to log in under the first post - which is annoying itself, but I guess I don't mind.

Boards doesn't keep me logged in. If I log in on www.boards.ie sometimes when I click "forums" it logs me out

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

When you're logged in or out? Does your workplace usually show Google served ads on sites?
    I'm logged in at both. I have no scripts running on both as well. I can't remember but I'm pretty sure I see the ads on the forums index page at work. I'll check it on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

have installed the noscript add on boards is way faster, but the menu at the top has disappeared, do you know any way to get around this?
    That was removed some time about as it is created dynamically, ie for every user/session.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The top dropdown menu is a script so therefore if you have no scripts running on your browser you won't see the menu, because it's a script. I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

meh I only not log in at work and seeings as I don't bother reading half the posts on a thread anyway, skipping over the ads isnt a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Gordon wrote:
    The top dropdown menu is a script so therefore if you have no scripts running on your browser you won't see the menu, because it's a script. I think!

Your right. I explained all that by PM. patrickc2006 allowed Boards to run scripts in Noscript but Boards slowed down again. I use Noscript and allow Boards to run scripts without any loss of speed in the site loading.

Advertisement