Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Games

Options
  • 06-07-2007 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

With Edge showing off their 100 favourite games , I was thinking we could list our favourite games here. My top 5 are:

1. The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of time
    2. Super Mario 64
    3. Final Fantasy 7
    4. Halo : Combat Evolved
    5. Quake 3 Arena

So what are yours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Not really sure about the order other than deus ex is number 1

Deus Ex
    Halo 2 for the multiplayer
    Gran Turismo 3
    Champ Man 3
    Fallout/Fallout2 cant really decide between these two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Seeker wrote:
    5. Quake 3 Arena

Quake 3 rules, great game, I'm king of DM17 - it's a shame no one plays anymore or at least those that do play stupid mods- original is the best

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Cannon Fodder.
    Terminator 2 Arcade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

grim fandango

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

1. UT2k4
    2. Half Life 2
    3. Call of Duty 2
    4. MGS series
    5. Flight Simulator 3.1 :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Super Metroid
    Metroid Prime
    Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition
    Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!
    Castlevania: Symphony of the night

The only 7 games that I personally would give a 10/10 score to. I'm finding it damn near impossible to knock 2 games off that list...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well, can't necessary narrow it down to five, but anyway. No particular order:

Beyond Good and Evil - the fact that this game never sold particularly well is a disgrace. The most exhilirating, refreshing video game of last gen.

Half Life 2 - the purists will go for the first one, but this game was one of the few to truly take my breath away from that very first mad dash across the roof top. My favourite FPS of all time.

Castlevania: SotN - the newest entry to my list. An astonishing game, 2D perfection. Although this may be knocked off the list in a day or two if I can't break that goddamn roof to the sword familiar :mad:

Final Fantasy 7 - what can I say? Played this as a young fellow. My graduation from licenced pap into proper, deep video gaming.

We Love Katamari - the gameplay is so simple, but so absurdly endearing. Beautifully quirky Japanese delight.

Deus Ex - a wonderfully deep and different RPG/FPS hybrid.

The Zelda series - I cannot pick a single one. All terrific experiences. Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Link to the Past, Links Awakening, Minish Cap, Oracles, Ocriana of Time - I loved them all.

And honourable mentions:
    Guitar Heroes, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, Phoenix Wright, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Castlevania: SotN - the newest entry to my list. An astonishing game, 2D perfection. Although this may be knocked off the list in a day or two if I can't break that goddamn roof to the sword familiar :mad:
    Have you tried doing the soul steal move? that's pretty handy for destroying all breakable objects on screen.
    I find it damn hard to pull off on the 360's pad though, especially during a boss battle...
    Press one direction, then do a half circle starting in the opposite direction, then press the opposite direction again and attack at the same time (that made more sense in my head:p )

It's an utterly fantastic game, pretty much the pinnacle of 2D gaming imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

tman wrote:
    Have you tried doing the soul steal move? that's pretty handy for destroying all breakable objects on screen.
    I find it pretty damn hard to pull off though, especially during a boss battle...
    Press one direction, then do a half circle starting in the opposite direction, then press the opposite direction again and attack at the same time (that made more sense in my head:p )

It's an utterly fantastic game, pretty much the pinnacle of 2D gaming imo.

Yeah I read that was the way to do it (I had to resort to gamefaqs, because I just couldnt find that card :( ). Did you have to buy it, or can you just use it? Im trying to save up my money to get that 100,000 achievement, don't want to give it to that money hungry librarian *grumbles*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

I'l probably leave out and forget stuff but..

1. Total Annihilation (PC): A classic RTS that really came into it's own online, and still has a thriving player base. Absolutely fantastic in a multiplayer setting, though it takes months to learn the ropes, I went on to get into the upper circle of the games community and it was a great experience overall. Unfortunatley had to quit the game as it was taking over my life.. Have made one or two comebacks and still kicked ass though :D

2. Zelda: A Link To The Past (SNES): Started playing this when I was 10. Still haven't completed it as of last month. Really draws you in, captured my attention as a youngster and is really just an amazing game.

3. Call Of Duty (PC): Amazing online game, the very best of the FPS's, and a great single player too. Not much to say here!

4. Super Mario World (SNES): Diverse, excellent gameplay, another game I'v been playing for many years and still love to this day! Have my little brother playing it :D

5. Perfect Dark (N64): Another game that took up a large portion of my life thanks to a similiarily addicted friend. Basically the legendary Goldeneye 007 except far, far better.

Honourable Mentions:

Zelda: Orcarina Of Time (N64)
    Super Mario 64 (N64)
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (PSX)
    Final Fantasy 8 (PSX)
    Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast)
    Rugby 2006 (PC)
    Deux Ex (PC)
    GTA Vice City (PS2)
    Morrowind III: Elder Scrolls (PC)
    Pokemon (GBC)
    Mario Party (N64)
    Shenmue (Dreamcast)
    Fallout 2 (PC)
    Metal Gear Solid (PSX)

..ok should prob stop this list before it gets out of hand!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Seeker wrote:
    1. The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of time
    2. Super Mario 64
    3. Final Fantasy 7
    4. Halo : Combat Evolved
    5. Quake 3 Arena

Your top three are excellent choices but the top two, specifically, are the wrong versions! It should read:

1. The Legend of Zelda: The Link's Awakening (On the original gameboy)
    2. Super Mario World (SNES)

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

SyxPak wrote:
    Terminator 2 Arcade.

:) You serious? I was just talking about that game with my brother this evening and we were laughing at it! It was okay, I guess, but definately not an all-time favourite of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Kevster wrote:
    Your top three are excellent choices but the top two, specifically, are the wrong versions! It should read:

1. The Legend of Zelda: The Link's Awakening (On the original gameboy)
    2. Super Mario World (SNES)

:rolleyes:

Heh hope you'll agree with my list in that case! But c'mon, Links Awakening is weak compared to Link To The Past!!!!

And tbh, SM64 is a better game overall than SMW.. it's just the nostalgia that wins it over for me :D

In no real order;(I'm a big PS fan, but not a fanboy)
    Metal Gear Solid series
    Hitman series (PC and PS)
    Legacy of Kain series
    Duke Nukem 3d
    Max Payne 1&2
    Shadow Of The Colossus
    Mortal Kombat 1&2
    G Police 1
    Wipeout 2097
    Zero Tolerance(Mega Drive)
    Bionic Commando (NES)
    Streets Of Rage 2 (Mega Drive)
    Half Life 1&2

I have many more favourites but I'll never fit them all on here:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭killyoutodeath

not in particular order...
    1.twilight princess-best zelda riviling oot and the first wii zelda
    2.ssb melee-kiking other nintendo characters asses about is quite fun
    3.the mario series-mario was always fun
    4.ratchet and clank-one of the best ps2 titles i have played
    5.resident evil 4-does it need to be said?
    6.crash bandicoot-was good even for the ps1
    7.animal crossing-just weird living in a village of animals but it was great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Its hard to narrow it down to a little number, i have so many favourite games, mainly much older games but sure ill make a list anyway. A Top 5 for every machine iv owned and played :D. And in no particular order:

Commodore 64
    Hero Quest
    Spike in Translevania
    Fantastic Freddies circus of somthing or other?
    Cauldron 1 & 2
    Flimbos Quest

Sega Master System
    Alex Kid in Mircacle World
    Sonic Chaos
    SpyHunter
    Kingdom World

Sega Megadrive
    All of the Sonics
    X-men
    Chaos Engine
    Zero Tolerence
    Castlevania

Sega Saturn
    Doom (1 & 2)
    Hexen
    Guardian Heroes
    Bomberman
    King Of fighters 95

Playstation One
    Final Fanasty 7
    Resident Evil 1(Original & Directors Cut), 2 & 3
    Tenchu 1 & 2
    Star Wars ( Can't Remember the name of it but it was first person )

Sega Dreamcast
    Sonic Adventure
    Jet Set Radio
    Crazy Taxi
    Soul Caliber
    Resident Evil: Code Veronica

Playstation 2
    Devil May Cry 1 & 3
    Resident Evil 4
    Tenchu 3
    Deus Ex (yes... i played it on the ps2 instead of PC)
    Killzone

X-Box 360
    Dead Rising
    Crackdown
    Tenchu Z
    Armoured Core 4

PC
    Diablo 1 & 2
    X-com Apocalypse
    Half Life 1 (with alot of the mods that were out at the time) & Half life 2
    The Elder scrolls III: Morrowind
    System Shock 2
    Carmageddon
    Theres alot more PC games that i like but they're the ones that stood out for me

Also theres the other consoles i played, mainly nintendo consoles but i never really owned them(i do have a wii though) nor do i want to make the list any bigger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

In no particular order...

1. Final Fantasy 7 (probably the best rpg ever)
    Legend of Dragoon (a brilliant rpg which I entirely missed when it first came out)
    2. Shadow of Colossus (beautiful game, in gameplay, story and look)
    3. Red Faction 1 and 2 (take the single player from 1 and the mutliplayer from 2 and you have the best fps there is, I don't know why more people haven't played this)
    4. Resident Evil 4
    5. Boulderdash (the greatest arcade game of the all)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Commodore 64
    Hero Quest
    Spike in Translevania
    Fantastic Freddies circus of somthing or other?
    Cauldron 1 & 2
    Flimbos Quest
    It was called Fiendish Freddy's Big Top O'Fun and I do believe it was rock hard. Also Flimbos Quest, classic game, never actually finished it though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

gizmo wrote:
    It was called Fiendish Freddy's Big Top O'Fun and I do believe it was rock hard. Also Flimbos Quest, classic game, never actually finished it though. :(

Thats the name of it thanks man. That Fiendish freddies scared the f*ck out of me as well, my fear of clowns originated from that game haha! And the music!.... give you nightmares it would but i still enjoyed playing it, and yes it was rock hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

My Top5 for how much I liked them at the time - irrespective of what I've played since.

- Goldeneye (N64) - great craic for all my mates.
    - C&C Red Alert (PC) - sucked me in.
    - Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2) - nearly floored me when I first played it.
    - Call Of Duty (PC) - specifically multiplayer.
    - Pro Evolution Soccer (PS2) - my first foray beyond Fifa.

Wow that fifth one was hard to decide. I was stuck between Warcraft3, Master of Orion II, HaloPC (niggles and all), Gran Turismo 3, Metal Gear Solid...

I guess my genre preference is obvious. I was never into RPGs and got my first computer around 1996 - although I had played Wolf3d, doom, descent, quake, keen dreams, mortal kombat, hunt for red rock rover, prince of persia 1&2, and other classics on my dads and cousins computers.

@Mark Hammill - I always meant to replay Red Faction single player. It was really good in places. The multi-player was a good laugh. Overall, good but imperfect. Never played RF2.

• Advertisement

Gotta mention Goldeneye N64, Sniping on the dam ah the memories

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

cregser wrote:
    @Mark Hammill - I always meant to replay Red Faction single player. It was really good in places. The multi-player was a good laugh. Overall, good but imperfect. Never played RF2.

Rf2 had a better multiplayer: more levels and more customizations (weapons and bots). Single player had some interesting changes to it (its set 50 years ahead of RF1 and all the weapons have advanced by 50 years) but is let down by a poor story with no humour and by having to play it as a number of levels (you could almost go back to the start of RF1 from the end, there where only 2 or 3 parts where you weren't allowed to go back and I think this made it better)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Kevster wrote:
    :) You serious? I was just talking about that game with my brother this evening and we were laughing at it! It was okay, I guess, but definately not an all-time favourite of mine.

Kids these days need more violence in their videogames.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Couldn't pick 5. Tough, haven't done a top 10 in a while.

1. Panzer Dragoon Saga: Truly wonderful game and the best RPG ever. Epic storyline yet only 20 hours long, gorgeous art direction, wonderful action and probably the best use of the videogaming medium ever when it comes to the ending. Do yourselves a favour and find a way to play this game.

2. Suikoden 2: Wonderful RPG with great variety in it's game but raised to another level by one of the most heartbreaking and moving stories yet told in a videogame about how war can destory the lives of the young and innocent. Luca Blight is by far videogamings best baddguy along with SHODAN.

3. Super Metroid: The pinnacle of 2D gaming. The metroid gameplay still hasn't been beaten even with excellent imitators such as SOTN.

4. The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past: By far the best zelda out there, wonderful game that just when you think you have it cracked turns out to be over twice as big as you imagined.

5. Gradius V: The 2D shmup perfected. Absolutely astonishingly good game that I still play at least once every week. Better than Radiant Silvergun since it's more accessible.

6. Final Fantasy VI: A much better game than FFVII: 18 characters, many of which are secret, great story and a better bad guy than 1 dimensional Sephiroth with the best laugh in vieogaming.

7. Gunstar Heroes: Got hours of fun out of this game. Even if you beat it each new difficulty level opens up whole new boss attack patterns giving a different game each time.

8. Zelda: Ocarina of Time: If you haven't played it yet then you really need to.

9. Metroid Prime: Renewed my fate in videogaming and was probably the best gaming experience this decade other than Gradius V. Metroid translated perfectly to 3D

10. Super Mario Bros. 3: The greatest platformer ever. If you ask me tomorrow I'd probably say SMW but I'm in a SMB3 mood today.

Retr0gamer wrote:

3. Super Metroid: The pinnacle of 2D gaming. The metroid gameplay still hasn't been beaten even with excellent imitators such as SOTN.

I spent ages trying to beat my time on this game, to see if Samus would strip off any more of her gear, think the best I managed was to get her helmet and suit off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pandaman010

1:grand theft auto: vice city-the best gta game
    2:Fable-brilliant
    3: Gears of war
    4:GTA san andreas
    5:ratchet and clank 3 -it had its moments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

- Final Fantasy 7 / 8
    - Medal of Honor : Allied Assault
    - Gran Turismo 2 / 3
    - God of War
    - Devil May Cry
    - Battlefield 2
    - Curse of Monkey Island
    - Starcraft / Warcraft 3
    - Elder Scrolls Oblivion
    - Grand Theft Auto Series (Except those crappy expansions things (stories) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Battlefield 1942 & bfv
    Medieval 2 Total War
    Football Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CitizenGeek

My favorite game ever is Final Fantasy XII. It's perfect in so many ways - it looks beautiful all the time, wonderful music, great characters, superb voice acting and a compelling, sophisticated politically-driven story. It's a definate 10/10 and I can't see anything topping it, really (well, at least not until MGS4 and FFXIII get here)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

No real order here but

Battlfield Vietnam
    Gran Turismo 2
    Final fantasy VII
    Timesplitters 2
    Abes exxodus
    and Megaman X for the SNES:D

Advertisement