Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless router problems

• 06-07-2007 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Sorry for posting in 2 separate places, but it kinda is relevant to both... and i've been trying to figure this out since 6pm today......!!

I am trying to get my lap top set up so that i can use my broadband on it, wireless. I have connected a D-Link wireless router to my pc, and have installed a Belkin wireless adapter on my lap top. All going fine so far!! A pop up appears in the system tray to say that i am connected to d link and the signal strength is good, but i still cant connect to the internet.... when i click in to link information, there is a big red x between the router icon and the internet..... does anyone have any ideas as to what is worng....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

You will have to add an account in network settings.
    Your ISP's website should have info on that.

Eircom link

Microsoft Info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

You will have to add an account in network settings.
    Your ISP's website should have info on that.

Open IE and type 192.168.2.1 in the address bar. Then you need to enter your broadband username/password as give by your ISP. IE: eircom@eircom.net & password=password1. Then save settings or select apply/log on.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Quarrybaby

Im with perlico, and i have just rooted out a bill with my login details, which dont work on their web site...

when i type in 192.168.2.1.......nothing happens

Local area connection disabled........ does this havbe any significance to my problem???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

No because your using the wireless network from your laptop to the router. If it says you have a connection to your router then you need to do the following to find out the address of the router -

Start->run and type cmd - Black window opens - type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes.

This will give you a good bit of info - Your looking for the wireless adapter section - Its probably got theh model of the belkin or something in the name. Under that you need to get the default gateway.

Then go to your browser and type that address. You should get a config page - and in there, will be the option to put in your BB username and password.

Do perlico have any tech support?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Quarrybaby wrote:
    Sorry for posting in 2 separate places, but it kinda is relevant to both... and i've been trying to figure this out since 6pm today......!!

I am trying to get my lap top set up so that i can use my broadband on it, wireless. I have connected a D-Link wireless router to my pc, and have installed a Belkin wireless adapter on my lap top. All going fine so far!! A pop up appears in the system tray to say that i am connected to d link and the signal strength is good, but i still cant connect to the internet.... when i click in to link information, there is a big red x between the router icon and the internet..... does anyone have any ideas as to what is worng....

Thanks
    Connected to your pc:confused:. Do you mean connected to your Perlico modem? If the Dlink is not connected to the modem then it should be. BTW Belkin adapters are woeful and problematic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Your router isn't connecting to the internet. You can connect to the router ok.

Internet Modem <X> Router <> Wifi <> Laptop

I think the other guys are trying to get you to connect to the routers admin settings to check the settings. However usually you can't connect to a routers admin settings via wireless by default. Remote access is usually turned off by default. You need to connect to the router with a network cable.

Internet Modem <X> Router <> Cable <> Laptop

Then you should have access to the routers admin settings. (How to access them is in the routers manual as are the default username and password. It can be something like admin/password or password/password etc. I'm not familar with the various ISP settings the others are talking about. With the NTL the routers generally find the internet connection themselves, its a DHCP connection and doesn't need login settings.

However when I reset my netgear router back to defaults and connect via network cable it autoloads a wizard where it sorts all it settings. Thats probably what you need to do. You router needs to set itself up for internet.

What internet provider are you using. How is the router connected to the Internet Modem?

I've had poor experiences with Belkin stuff myself. I'd bring it back and get something else.

God Im only now the basics, I cant really make head nor tail of most of that!!!!!

The d link router is connected to my perlico modem and making my beoadband wireless. The belkin usb is inserted onto my lap top and has picked up on the wireless broadband, but somehow i am still not able to get onto the internet.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to wireless

You need to configure the router. Theres more to than simply pluging it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭andrew1977

BostonB wrote:
    I've had poor experiences with Belkin stuff myself. I'd bring it back and get something else.

I aint no i.t wizard at all, i only got broadband in a few weeks ago and bought the now dreaded Belkin Wirelelss Usb Adaptor
    Couple of people on here told me straight away to ditch it .
    Spent days and nights trying to get the belkin gear to work, no joy with it at all

Brought it back ,bought a d-link one, came home ,plugged it in and instantly worked

So in summary, from a i.t dumbass like myself, take the belkin product you have and smash it to bits, not worth a sh*te

It will break you heart,

Bes of luck with it

ha ha thanks, soundest advice i've gotten!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it has my heart broken, the whole lot nearly went out the window a few times!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Quarrybaby wrote:
    ha ha thanks, soundest advice i've gotten!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it has my heart broken, the whole lot nearly went out the window a few times!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

I think you need to take a deep breath and start again. Try and do a bit of reading up on this and get a basic understanding of the logic of what you are trying to do.

First things first - is the modem supplied by Perlico also a router? If so you will have to put it into bridge mode.

Have you set up the wireless router with your basic settings? There is usually some sort of easy set up guide with the router.

Have you set up any wireless security in the router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭crowbar188

dub45 wrote:
    Have you set up any wireless security in the router?

Just a quick question,... does having the ISP password registered in the router work as security against other people using my connection?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

crowbar188 wrote:
    Just a quick question,... does having the ISP password registered in the router work as security against other people using my connection?

and the very quick answer is NO! You need to enable wireless security on the wireless network. There should be instructions in the manual on this process. You have read the manual several times?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭crowbar188

No, the manual isnt very helpful.

I presume i just go into the connection settings and do it from there, no?

Advertisement