Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 & Phone Modem Question

• 06-07-2007 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've connected my 3 mobile to my PC using the Sony software. It connects fine. But i was just wondering can you access all web pages? Or at least most like you can on the phone...

If so, how is it done?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

You need to use the APN "3ireland.ie". The short answer is yes, however if you're on 3Pay, you will likely be severely crippled, e.g. only port 80 works and everything is run through a proxy server that re-encodes pages for mobile usage.

No idea how to do this on Windows, but I'd say it should be in the Sony Ericsson software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Tried an E61 with a PAYG 3 sim inserted and I have purchased the €19.99 unlimited broadband for 1 month. I connected it to the PC and use the PC Suite settings and click on Connect to Internet and it dials and connects but I get absolutely nothing. Took out the 3 sim and inserted a PAYG VF sim and changed the APN and tried and it worked immediately with VF, so from what I can see, you cant use your phone as a modem AT ALL with 3 PAYG??

Maybe somebody can correct me, but I just gave up on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

now lads

without me using words with the letters F,C and B why did the customer rep say i cannot use mobile phone with data sim, therefore that is wat you own us ....... ie 1,600 odd euro.

i still am in the uk, no time to get this resolved. but i am totally not giving them nearly 2grand for this.

seems they are trying to screw me:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

You need to use the APN "3ireland.ie". The short answer is yes, however if you're on 3Pay, you will likely be severely crippled, e.g. only port 80 works and everything is run through a proxy server that re-encodes pages for mobile usage.

No idea how to do this on Windows, but I'd say it should be in the Sony Ericsson software.

Ok i tried putting in that....

Its still the same. If i open IE or Firefox it keeps asking me to open unknown files. And is stuck on pages like:

http://mobile.3ireland.ie/3prepayweb/?site=www.google.ie%N2 something....

Any other settings i should look at/change?

knock knock.............

• Advertisement

Pacifico, sounds like you're a 3Pay customer? It only works on bill pay...

so 3 have nothing in their t&c* about not using a cellular device with their data sims?

well thats good news for me and my lawyer.

* this does not mean total c****........;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

legs11 wrote:
    so 3 have nothing in their t&c* about not using a cellular device with their data sims?

well thats good news for me and my lawyer.

* this does not mean total c****........;)

Yes, they do, I read it myself.

but in the t&c for the data card? i never came across it, and besides loads of people you included! use a mobile phone. thats what they are intended for.

cula, what happened with your friend who rung up a bill like me and he didnt have to pay it.......fill me in.

i was told back in february by a customer service rep i wouldnt have to pay it

legs11 wrote:
    but in the t&c for the data card? i never came across it, and besides loads of people you included! use a mobile phone. thats what they are intended for.

cula, what happened with your friend who rung up a bill like me and he didnt have to pay it.......fill me in.

i was told back in february by a customer service rep i wouldnt have to pay it

When I first got the datacard, I looked up T&Cs and it specifically stated it could be used in a phone and even gave the prices of calls when made from it. The CCR you spoke to is talking through his hat.

Data is data is data and the card is only a method of facilitating data usage with a laptop.I use the 3 datamodem now since calls can't be made on the new tariff and because there is no need to charge the data modem. But here in Spain I have removed the SIM from a Vodafone ES datamodem and am using it with my N95 since I can then surf and make receive calls at the same time, use the GPS or send SMS. It's no big deal and incurs no penalties.

Stick to your guns.

• Advertisement

You are definitely allowed to do that. They may be confusing you with a 3 UK customer: they are technically not allowed to use X-Series unlimited internet with a laptop.

You are definitely allowed to do that. They may be confusing you with a 3 UK customer: they are technically not allowed to use X-Series unlimited internet with a laptop.

Technically yes, but indeed it does work and incurs no penalties. In fact X-Series works in a limited fashion here in Spain on Orange ES without charge.

i am weeping here now,

i am in the uk. im sure i told them that during the chat, the guy deffo told me, in perfect english of course.

that, 'sir, you are not allowed use sim car in mobile phone, and that is what you own us'.

that is pretty much what he said, i just gave him aload of abuse really and said i would be taking this up with comreg. which i have not done yet, i mean professionally should we say, lol.

so, basically i should write to 3 and tell them they are just wrong and apologise then?!!
    heck, maybe they could reimburse me for 1,600e.

i have about 3 letters at home from 3, looking for this bill.

my mum , bless her was going to send them back to where they came from.

culabula wrote:
    Technically yes, but indeed it does work and incurs no penalties. In fact X-Series works in a limited fashion here in Spain on Orange ES without charge.

Could you clarify what you mean by "limited fashion"? What services are available?

Could you clarify what you mean by "limited fashion"? What services are available?

Planet 3, mainly, Urban.I'd heard this before I went. Nothing beyond that, but no charge.

(UK version of Planet 3 of course, I haven't tried my Irish data SIM: I'm happy out, full of tapas and cervezas, and have the free use of a Spanish Vodafone datamodem).

legs11 wrote:
    i am weeping here now,

i am in the uk. im sure i told them that during the chat, the guy deffo told me, in perfect english of course.

that, 'sir, you are not allowed use sim car in mobile phone, and that is what you own us'.

that is pretty much what he said, i just gave him aload of abuse really and said i would be taking this up with comreg. which i have not done yet, i mean professionally should we say, lol.

so, basically i should write to 3 and tell them they are just wrong and apologise then?!!
    heck, maybe they could reimburse me for 1,600e.

i have about 3 letters at home from 3, looking for this bill.

my mum , bless her was going to send them back to where they came from.

Man dear, you keep carping about the Indian staff's use of English and yet I can barely follow what YOU are on about.

Having spoken myself to Indian support at considerable length on Wednesday and to SIX different persons I am afraid you are confusing accent, cadence and emphasis with correct English.

The workforce are highly educated but trained to repeat what they have been told to say. In that respect they are useless though when I was both polite and thoroughly logical with them the other day about my UK problem, they eventually agreed and waived my charges on the spot.

I think that it is pointless continuing to phone them about your bill. You must involve someone from Dublin or maybe even Glasgow and speak to either Comreg or the debt collectors as you were advised sagely by A.N. Other in your other, other, further, different thread.

God bless your mother indeed!

how do i go onto the glasgow people?

i am not having a go at the indians at all . seriously, its just that talking to them is like talking to a brick wall several feet thick. i do understand them. the people in scotland i liked actually, last yr i had zero probs with 3,

yes you read that correctly. bit of a coincidence i was dealing with glasgow people then.

legs11 wrote:
    how do i go onto the glasgow people?

i am not having a go at the indians at all . seriously, its just that talking to them is like talking to a brick wall several feet thick. i do understand them. the people in scotland i liked actually, last yr i had zero probs with 3,

yes you read that correctly. bit of a coincidence i was dealing with glasgow people then.

Ask someone on 3g.co.uk for either the email address of the Executive Office or their number, I'm afraid I don't know it.

We know that Glasgow was outsourced to India some time back.

It's the way of things: French people have to deal with Moroccans and for all I know Italians may have to deal with Ethiopians. What can we do? Deal with it.

If you're now in the UK, I still have to ask -*what do you care*? The bottom line is that they can't get your money and, if you believe yourself to be right, then that's their tough luck.

The problem is that there are several question marks over your whole misadventure, since you admitted you went over the limit in the first place. I'm extracting the urine when I say you downloaded all of 24, of course, but you DID download some TV shows and by your own admission, you DID go over the 3GB limit. The question is why did you do that in the first place and by how much? I think we should be told.

didnt download 24 cula, for the 10thtime. i was monitoring my usage with MY3, as you do. wasnt my fault they were not updating my downloading.

i downloaded about 1gig over the limit, i sent you a pm with this. really crazy going. i didnt even use up my allowance of 3gigs from march onwards after this.

3 customer service told me for certain back in feb i would not be charged and that it would be waived.

could i get onto a customer service guy in the uk about this while i am here?

no point going onto 3ireland no more.

legs11 wrote:
    didnt download 24 cula, for the 10thtime.

I know you didn't, I just said that!!

• Advertisement

legs11 wrote:
    i was monitoring my usage with MY3, as you do. wasnt my fault they were not updating my downloading.

I have a problem with this bit: it is your fault. That's like saying I spent a lot on my credit card, it didn't come in this month and being outraged that it came in the *following* month. In so far as you wilfully went over the limit this IS your fault, it was manageable and you did it and not 3. It has nothing to do with My3 being updated, you knew the amounts that you were downloading. However, it seems as though they were willing to forgive you the first time and if they are now reneging on it, then THAT is unacceptable.

so, tell me. whats the point having a useless function like my3 is it doesnt returnd valid information.

lets say you go to an atm and take out 30e, you are told what you got left in the bank after. same thing.

will they call the ballifs now or whatever they are, lol.

i might get onto 3 uk about this.

worth a shot.

legs11 wrote:
    so, tell me. whats the point having a useless function like my3 is it doesnt returnd valid information.

lets say you go to an atm and take out 30e, you are told what you got left in the bank after. same thing.

will they call the ballifs now or whatever they are, lol.

i might get onto 3 uk about this.

worth a shot.

Correct, it IS exactly the same -and even if the information isn't updated and doesn't reflect your withdrawal, you still know that you took out the 30€.

However, My3 doesn't work exactly like an ATM and more like a credit card. And as I have posted many, many times, it IS updated at 00:10 each and every night.

If for any reason, it didn't do that in the early days and you have downloaded a 700mb TV show, you still have to 'pay the reckoning' somewhere down the line.

But I hope you don't have to pay as the sum is obscene by anyone's standards. The point is you were told that you will not have to pay and they should honour that and you should be suitably admonished and forewarned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Legs11. Don't hijack this thread. Keep it to your own threads please.
    Thanks

Advertisement