Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI: Upgrading student credit card to a proper card, easy?

Options
  • 06-07-2007 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I have a bank of ireland student credit card, it has a max limit of e400, which suits me as it means I won't run up a crazy bill. But there's a but, I am heading to America soon and I need a credit card with a limit of e2000, I know I could load money into my current credit card but if I get scammed I would only be covered by the bank for e400.

I am wondering what's the procedure for switching from a student card to one with a larger limit? Is it a matter of just popping in and asking or would I need to cancel my student credit card and apply for a proper one? I take it there is no guarantee I would actually get one?

I should add I am no longer a student, I am working full time for over a year with a steady income into my bank account, but 80% of my money is on direct debit to various other banks. I regularly use my student credit card and usually pay it back in full each month.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

It should be no problem, If you want I can put you in touch with the relivant person in your branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm with AIB and wanted to do the same thing. I had to apply for a new Mastercard as it was dealt with by a different dept than the student one, and wasn't an product in the same category for a swap is what they told me.

All in all I got accepted, but I had to go into my local branch and provide ID / POA etc for them to procede with my application.

Perhaps BOI have a more refined process though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Don't go getting an ordinary credit card as it'll cost you an arm and a leg in interest repayments (should you happen to not be able to pay it off in full each month which might happen as you'll be off in America)

Get yourself a graduate account. On this account I was able to get a limit of €1000 on my CC. I could of gotten a larger limit but I didn't want to.

A

Advertisement