Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sms messaging on cordless phone

Options
  • 06-07-2007 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,
    Just bought a BT Calypso 225 digital cordless phone from Argos and as one of its features supports SMS/txt messaging.
    I’ve set up the SMS send and receive numbers provided by Eircom. ie.
    Service centre 1: 17409900
    Service centre 2: 0818365135
    I have caller ID enabled on my line and I can send SMS messages from the phone -but so far the phone only rings when I send a message to the phone and doesn’t display the message. Does anyone have this particular phone and have they been able to set SMS messaging up? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brandaan

BT use a different method of CLI to eircom. If the CLI is working for incoming calls on the phone then receiving SMS messages should work, so check this.
    Note that the first ring-burst will not be suppressed on handset (it is on the eircom/Siemens units).
    To use the service you have to send a message out before you can receive one back.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PadraigL

Having the same problem. Just bought a Tevion X3i from Aldi. Got it for the SMS facility. Have a Phillips sms phone which is a bit dodgy.

The Phillips is still taking/sending sms but the tevion is sending sms but not taking any, the phone will ring with the no 081836571350.

Disconnected the phillips and switched it off in case it was the problem but I have the same issue, Tevion will send sms but rings when recieving them.

brn1, how did you solve the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

They're possibly set up for BT caller ID only.

When a BT line sends caller ID it inverts the polarity on the line (swaps live and neutral). This alerts the phone that the caller ID info is being sent.

eircom, in common with the France, Germany the USA, Canada, UK Cable companies and quite a lot of other places uses a ring burst ahead of the caller ID.

Basically, the Caller ID unit listens for the data after receiving a burst of ringing.

Most decent handsets that are not specifically UK only or that are actually designed for the Irish market will work fine and will automatically suppress the first ring burst. E.g. Siemens etc. If you get a Philips handset it's very important that you follow the instructions for setting it up for the Republic of Ireland. They provide a code that configures the phone to work with our caller ID system. Many other handsets, including many of those sold in the UK work on both systems without any fuss at all.

I suspect you've bought a device that is very much UK specific.
    Did it come with UK-style phone plugs? (If so, make sure that you use an adaptor with a capacitor built in. These are available in Woodies or any major DIY store - not the UK chains though like Maplins etc)

Hi Solair

The phone wire that came with it are the irish style. I have connected using the filters sent when I got broadband.

Going to ring tech support today, for the tevion phone. iI it can't be solved it will be going back.

Actually rang BT on sat and the guy checked my line, rang me back to say there was fault on the line. Didn't say what it was and logged it for the engineers coming in this morning.

Told him that everything was working fine until I got the new Tevion phone. My old phillips was and is still working fine if I connect it back in.

Will see waht happens.

UPDATE

Rang BT today and after many transfers got on to a guy who told me to change the centre numbers to the following

Service centre 1: 17409901
    Service centre 2: 0818365136

These are 1 digit difference from the one's I was using. He said that for NON Eircom phones use these.

Tried it and could not send or recieve sms. Changed back to 17409900 and 0818365135 and I could send sms but would ring with 08183651350 for incoming sms.

Did not get a chance to ring BT back.

• Advertisement

Aghaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

On advise fro Binatone tech support I brought the phone back and swapped it. The new one is having the same problem. It going back tomorrow.

Thanks for the help, but this one had beat me...

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Does anybody know the settings to configure text messaging for BT Ireland? I have a dect phone its just from the UK so has the wrong settings, Thanks.

The following numbers are the official ones. I never did get my texting to work properly with the X3i . My philips sms phone will still work and these were the numbers set in the phone.

Advertisement