Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

colin mcrae dirt

Options
  • 07-07-2007 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

oh lordy

what graphics,

i was watchin a replay of me tearing around in a grande punto, just installed the game and saw the replay, laughing away to myself.
    bits and pieces falling off the car, doors, lights, the bonnet. best graphics i have ever seen in a car game

unreal.......!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

checked out the trailer. Just moved in with the girlfriend 2 months ago so all the new titles have really gone under my radar. But omg! the graphics on this look brill.
    Whats the gameplay like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

i just ran a punto around a lap for a bit. bit of a shock, gettin used to the graphics,
    the lush grass, smashing into trees and stalling the car., everything is like.

whooooooooah ! hang on now. imagine this on a multiplayer.

i would love to drive som proper cars like tegs and the like. do some criminal damage no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Sorry for the bump but just got this game for the PC and it looks like i'm going to need a steering wheel :( Even on the hardest level with the hardest car of NFS:Carbon and Flatout 2 where they as difficult as DiRT on the first level as a rookie.

I put this down to the fact that i'm playing with an analogue controller. I've tried turning down the sensitivity to no avail. When i'm driving in helmet cam mode when I just tap the analogue controller left or right he swings his hands all the way in either direction. I might as well be using the keyboard its that bad. Anyone else have this problem? Or should I just get a steering wheel?

btw, the graphics are stunning. Running this game at 1080p with everything maxed. The italy levels are especially the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

L31mr0d wrote:
    Sorry for the bump but just got this game for the PC and it looks like i'm going to need a steering wheel :( Even on the hardest level with the hardest car of NFS:Carbon and Flatout 2 where they as difficult as DiRT on the first level as a rookie.

I put this down to the fact that i'm playing with an analogue controller. I've tried turning down the sensitivity to no avail. When i'm driving in helmet cam mode when I just tap the analogue controller left or right he swings his hands all the way in either direction. I might as well be using the keyboard its that bad. Anyone else have this problem? Or should I just get a steering wheel?

btw, the graphics are stunning. Running this game at 1080p with everything maxed. The italy levels are especially the best.

What joypad are you using?

I'm using a 360 joy pad which has support out of the box for the game, so it works fine.

Form what I read in one review, a steering wheel makes a huge difference to playing the game and is gives much much better handling and feels much better than using a joypad.

(I do find the cars a bit floaty using a joypad)

Have to say though the game does look fanatstic, and on some of the levels with the lighting you could almost think for a second you were watching a race on the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Colin mcrae......phef......if ye wanna play a good colin, get a ps1 and batter 1 and 2!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

I don't understand why it's a Mcrae game, but Travis Pastrana's doing all the talking. He's a ponce imo anyway.
    As for the game though, takes a while to get used to it but it's well worth it. I especially like the Toyota Tacoma or whatever it is...Hillclimb tracks+950hp=kickass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Colin mcrae......phef......if ye wanna play a good colin, get a ps1 and batter 1 and 2!

Bah DiRT is a bit of light arcadey fun.

It's a game to dip into and have a bit of a laugh, not a game meant to be taken seriously.

It's not a hardcore sim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

uberpixie wrote:
    It's not a hardcore sim.

Codemasters have never developed a racing sim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

The trucks in it blow way too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Right just played this. It's a difficult game. Which is unusual for an arcade racer.
    Handling seems very unrealistic, but it was probably designed like this so it is possible to play with a joypad.(I use a wheel)

Overall its not a good game nor a terrible one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

well personally I can't stand hardcore SIMs, i'd pay money to go on a real race track before i'd invest the time to get used a driving SIM.

From reading around a lot of people have had problems with oversteer in this game, and I agree the cars do feel very "floaty" i.e. like physics doesn't come into play, no matter what speed you are traveling at or on what terrain you turn right and the car will just turn 90' on the spot.

I'm using a logitech rumblepad. I've been looking around for some settings to make the analogue less sensitive but so far I haven't found anything.

If people are playing this game with a gamepad, what settings are using for it? (i.e. deadzones... etc)

Advertisement