Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC game recommendations?

Options
  • 07-07-2007 12:34am
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Ive only been PC gaming about a year or two now and I have spent 95% of my time on multiplayer games..

So whats a good game that i may have missed :p

I have played FarCry, HL2, HL2 episode 1, C&C3, Oblivion, COD2, Company Of Heroes, Fear... Mostly new titles.

so any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

You do have a good scope of games in there! For my money I'd have to recommend Battlefield and GTA San Andreas if your that way inclined. (trumps the PS2 version by miles)

I'm not much into new games though.. If your up for a golden oldie check out Diablo 2!!

I can't think..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Among the newer titles, I'd reccomend Hitman: Blood Money (demo here)

Agree on GTA: San Andreas if you haven't already played it on the consoles.

The original Deus Ex is a must-play too... though the graphics are a tad dated, the gameplay and story still rock on.

And if you've got a decent PC joypad, I'd reccomend Resident Evil 4... I've been absolutely glued to that lately.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Oooh Hitman sounds interesting, I have played BF aswell.. dont like it...

I have played GTA:sa when it came out on PS2, but i forget it completely, maybe its worth a shot again..

Keep the recommendations coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Armed Assault, Operation Flashpoint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

manhunt :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

MooseJam wrote:

Manhunt is on the pc? WHERE CAN I GET THIS? LOL

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

If you liked Company of Heroes then you will like Warhammer 40k: Dawn of war, made by the same people and is more or less exactly the same except based in the Warhammer 40k Universe. Id also recommend Star Wars: Knights of the Old republic games, Battlefield 2 if you like Online play and if its cheaper now get S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Im only getting into S.T.A.L.K.E.R at the moment and its quite good, maybe not worth a full whack of money but if its on Deal of the week or somthing then its well worth it. As Donkey said: Hitman Blood Money is another great title.

@ Deaf Vision - when i worked in GAME Manhunt was in our 2 for 25 euros offer. I dunno if they have it still now but you could give them a look i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

And if you've got a decent PC joypad, I'd reccomend Resident Evil 4... I've been absolutely glued to that lately.
    And to add to the decent joypad thing, OP. Im currently playing through Tomb Raider Anniversary atm, which is a LOT of fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The Thief series (The Dark Project, The Metal Age, and Deadly Shadows) cannot be recommended enough. I started playing the first one again the other day and it's still amazing. Thief 1 and 2 might be a bit awkward to install and get running in this day and age (not strictly Windows 98+ compatible) but they're well worth the effort, inspired genius, they are.

I'd also suggest you give Dark Messiah a go. The plot's a bit clichéed, and the voice acting is pretty dull, but the game itself is great fun, first person perspective close combat that really, really works. Blood everywhere. Great fun.

And I'll second a vote for STALKER. It takes a little getting used to (it can be murderously difficult starting off until you get a good set of armour and artifacts), but it's got creepy atmosphere in spades, and is really well worth the money. Use dynamic lighting, even if you have to turn down to 800x600, the atmosphere is so much better. :)

DeafVision wrote:
    Manhunt is on the pc? WHERE CAN I GET THIS? LOL

manhunt 2 was banned, manhunt is still available, I picked up a copy in game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Sarky wrote:
    I'd also suggest you give Dark Messiah a go. The plot's a bit clichéed, and the voice acting is pretty dull, but the game itself is great fun, first person perspective close combat that really, really works. Blood everywhere. Great fun.

Even Better, without sounding like a complete nerd but try the Older Might and Magics also. Might and Magic 6,7 & 8 are truely great RPG's and very engrossing. Will keep you occupied for a good while as well. Might be a bit hard getting one or two of them to run on Windows XP if you get your hands on them but worth it.

Also I agree with Sarky on the Thief Series, brilliant games to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

Good call Donkeystyle on Deus Ex -

I enjoyed the last 2 Total War games. Unlike action games, if you mess up its back to the start in them, nothing like seeing 2 weeks work down the drain!
    Football Manager 07 is addictive if you're into that kind of thing.

pick up a copy of serious sam the second encounter, great fun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Evil Genius! Overlooked Gem this one.

Edit: Everything by Blizzard (Starcraft and Diablo II if that's all you've got time for)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Vampire: Bloodlines.
    One of my favourite games ever probably, and totally underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

MooseJam wrote:
    pick up a copy of serious sam the second encounter, great fun

Both Serious Sams are a good laugh.

Definitely both Max Paynes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

MooseJam wrote:

If you like Manhunt, check out 'The Suffering' as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

The original Half Life is also good.
    Total Annihilation is a blast!

For hack and slash - give Severence - Blade of Darkness a try too.
    Die by the Sword is supposed to be good but haven't tried that.

Dungeon Keeper and Dungeon Siege are also worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

On the issue of Total Annihilation, I picked up the sequel, Supreme commander recently and have to say I'm engrossed. I'm a fan of strategy games and the strategic options available to you here are pretty impressive.

You seem to have a pretty good grasp of the (newer) decent titles. Of course there are lots of classics out there - some of which have already been mentioned. For example Deus Ex is now dated but the storyline is excellent and well worth picking up if you can find it - possibly in the classics section. Stay away from Deus Ex 2 though, its pants.

If you like RPGs then you could go with some of the DnD games like Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale etc. Neverwinter nights and the sequel aren't bad either, though I wouldn't exactly wholeheartedly recommend them. If you have a decent PC, Doom 3 and Painkiller have nice visuals and although they didn't rock my world they're worth a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I reached a lull like you about 8 months ago, I was playing onlineFPS's for the majority (mainly CoD2, CSS, UT04)

Started to get tired with the whole FPS gaming midway through Quake 4, Doom 3 and Prey ( i was playing all 3 in tandem as the engine for all is pretty much identical)

What I did, and i'd recommend you doing, is spread out into games that you previously thought you hated. You might still hate them, you might not.

Here is a break down of a few non-fps games i've tried and liked

RTS:
    Supreme Commander
    C&C3
    AoE III

3rd person:
    Tomb Raider: Anniversary and legend
    The Splinter Cell series
    The Prince of Persia Series (working my way through it for a second time now)

Other:
    NHL 07 (I don't know I just like it)
    Tiger woods
    Need for Speed series (was a bit of a shock to me, but I actually really like racing games now after previously hating them)
    Flatout 2 (great game imo)
    Colin McRae DiRT

Also i'd recommend getting a gamepad for the PC, the Xbox 360 wireless one is supposed to be very good. I personally use the Logitech Wireless Rumblepad 2.

For additional FPS's, if you liked FEAR, then try extraction point, you won't be dissapointed although the ending is to be expected as it is a partitioning title. But the suspense and eerieness is 100 times better than the original FEAR game. GRAW 2 is out in a few weeks, so pick up a cheap copy of GRAW now. Its an excellent game.

For older classics, my favourite older FPS is Star Wars: Republic Commando. It seemed to fly under the radar but imo is an excellent FPS, with an intuitive control system, good dialogue and an absorbing storyline.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

age of empires 3 and age of empires 3 warchiefs great games :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Beelzebub wrote:
    Die by the Sword is supposed to be good but haven't tried that.

It's fun, but controlling a sword arm with the mouse is bloody difficult to get used to. Spent most of the time using the keypad instead.

Also, "Ha! Ya hit like a kobold!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

My recommendations are:

Deus Ex - even though its a bit old, in terms of gameplay it rocks!
    System Shock II - If you like Deus Ex, you like this. Again it is a bit older but totally immersive.
    Max Payne 1 & 2 - They both have 'bullet time' modes which work slightly differently but great games to play.
    The original Half Life along with their expansion packs Opposing Force & Blueshift. They brought out a high definition pack with Blueshift which improved graphics. Its great fun to play these back to back and see and the areas froma different perspective!
    And of course Half Life 2 and its Episode 1. Pure genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭-TK^Creator

solitaire, mine sweeper, pinball, hearts take ur pick of that line up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

il2 1946 ...can be picked up pretty cheap these days and is a massive game.
    If your into WW2 flight sims this is heaven ..
    i've been playing for years and still love it.

age of empires 3 and age of empires 3 warchiefs great games :)

I see age of empires 3 in Game now for the new game price of 44.99, is this a re-relese or what, AOE 3 has been out a couple of years hasn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Give Startopia a try if you can find it.

As for others, the oldies! :D

Fallout 1 & 2
    X-COM (the first one and Apocalypse) or try the UFO: Aftershock or Afterlight for a newer but different-kinda-the-same sytle of game.
    The Thief series
    Grim Fandango (for that bit of old lucasarts gold)
    Diablo 2 (click till your finger falls off)
    Anything made by Bullfrog

As for shinier new stuff,
    Civ 4
    Homeworld/Homeword 2/Cataclysm
    and what the others have said :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

MooseJam wrote:
    I see age of empires 3 in Game now for the new game price of 44.99, is this a re-relese or what, AOE 3 has been out a couple of years hasn't it

No its not a new release,it came out start of 2006 i think :confused: even though I only got it start of this yr cuz i got my xps at xmas great game though,44 quid is a bit steep,it shud be cheaper,and theres a new expansion for coming at some stage i think,whether it will gwet released over here or not is a different story though,hope it does,it looks good =D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

No its not a new release,it came out start of 2006 i think :confused: even though I only got it start of this yr cuz i got my xps at xmas great game though,44 quid is a bit steep,it shud be cheaper,and theres a new expansion for coming at some stage i think,whether it will gwet released over here or not is a different story though,hope it does,it looks good =D

Jesus, it's 52.49 (!!!) on sendit.com. And out of stock.
    38.99 out of stock on play.com.

So 44 isn't too bad, considering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

If you like RTS games, you could do worse than to check out the open multiplayer beta of World In Conflict. It's fairly different take on online RTS gaming.
    And it's pretty damn solid.

Advertisement