Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I use my Windows XP reinstallation CD to install Windows XP on my other Dell PC?

• 07-07-2007 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

I have a Dell desktop which I purchased new from Dell about 2 years ago and it has Windows XP Home installed on it. I have the original Windows xp reinstallation CD which came with the PC when new.

If I purchase a 2nd hand Dell desktop which also has Windows XP Home installed on it, but no Windows XP installation CD, will I be able to use the CD which I already have if I want to do a clean install of XP on the 2nd hand PC?

The 2nd hand PC has a COA sticker on it.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Don't think so, it is probably tied to the Dell desktop you had at first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Yes you will be able to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

As Voipjunkie says, you can.
    If asked for the product key during install (you probably won't), use the one on the laptop COA. If not it will fail activation but will give an option to enter a different code and you can then enter the laptop key.
    If it still fails to activate, ring the freephone number and they'll activate it manually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

The Dell reinstallation discs will install on any Dell so there wont be a problem there.

The licence key is the important thing, if the second computer has a licence key sticker on it, it is legal is install the version of Windows XP named on the sticker eg Windows XP home (The SP number isn't important to the licence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

The reinstallation disk will work, but you might be better installing from a standard XP install cd and using the serial of the COA. This will avoid installing all the dell crap you get with a standard re-install and allow you to put your own crap in its place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If the PC has a COA then all you need to do is get a CD that matches the brand and Home/Pro. The Dell CD is locked to a setting in Dell BIOS so won't work on other brands or on very old Dell's.

if you use a restore image have a look at the Dell decrapifier to remove some of the stuff you don't want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭zoe

Thanks guys
    kaizersoze wrote:
    If asked for the product key during install (you probably won't), use the one on the laptop COA. If not it will fail activation but will give an option to enter a different code and you can then enter the laptop key.
    Both are desktops. Do you mean the COA from my PC, which was purchased new, or the 2nd hand PC I'd be installing XP onto?

jahalpin wrote:
    The licence key is the important thing, if the second computer has a licence key sticker on it, it is legal is install the version of Windows XP named on the sticker eg Windows XP home (The SP number isn't important to the licence
    What's the SP number? I know the COA number is a sticker on the PC, but what's SP?

Baraboo wrote:
    The reinstallation disk will work, but you might be better installing from a standard XP install cd and using the serial of the COA.
    Do you mean this sort of thing?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Windows-XP-Home-Reinstallation-CD-For-Dell_W0QQitemZ170127088422QQihZ007QQcategoryZ41887QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

if you use a restore image have a look at the Dell decrapifier to remove some of the stuff you don't want
    Was just going to use the CD, I don't know what a restore image is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

zoe wrote:
    Thanks guys

Both are desktops. Do you mean the COA from my PC, which was purchased new, or the 2nd hand PC I'd be installing XP onto?

What's the SP number? I know the COA number is a sticker on the PC, but what's SP?

Do you mean this sort of thing?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Windows-XP-Home-Reinstallation-CD-For-Dell_W0QQitemZ170127088422QQihZ007QQcategoryZ41887QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Was just going to use the CD, I don't know what a restore image is.
    Sorry, don't know where I got laptop from:o . When you're installing onto the secondhand pc use the product key on it's COA, not the one on your existing pc.

The SP number is the Service Pack version (SP0, SP1, SP2). The XP cd you have probably says 'Windows XP with Service Pack 2'. It shouldn't matter if the COA on the secondhand PC is for an earlier version. The important thing is the COA and cd are for XP Home.

The item you linked to on Ebay is just a Dell branded copy of XP and probably the same as what you have.

The Dell install disk does not have the crap that the original install comes with there are no sample programs or antivirus or any of that ****e

You will not have to input any key and it will activate itself

The activation key is in the bios on the dell this is how the vista hack works by replicating a bios oem key like dell or lenovo use.

While it is only legal to install the version of windows that you have the COA for or that came with the PC originally the dell will install and activate other versions of windows as well

Basically do not bother looking for another disc use the dell one it is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭zoe

Okay, thanks very much for the info. It's appreciated!

• Advertisement

Voipjunkie wrote:
    The Dell install disk does not have the crap that the original install comes with there are no sample programs or antivirus or any of that ****e
    My Dell laptop came with an MCE DVD that installed a load of junk. I very quickly obtained the original unbranded discs.

Karsini wrote:
    My Dell laptop came with an MCE DVD that installed a load of junk. I very quickly obtained the original unbranded discs.

What junk specifically.

I can't remember off the top of my head, this was March 2006, but I recall several installation programs auto running after the main setup and rebooting the laptop twice. Took about double the time the generic discs did.

Karsini wrote:
    I can't remember off the top of my head, this was March 2006, but I recall several installation programs auto running after the main setup and rebooting the laptop twice. Took about double the time the generic discs did.

Was it a Dell manufactured reinstall disc or a disk you created from the recovery partition

I have a vista and an XP running here both were installed from the dell disks and there is absolutely nothing on them there are no other programs installed with the dell reinstall disk and it takes exactly the same amount of time to install as any other install.

If you made a reinstall disk from the recovery partition then you would have all the crap that was on the original install

It was an actual pressed disc. I chose the recovery media, which added a whole €6 to the cost of the laptop lol. If I had it with me I'd check it out but it's still down in Kerry.

It didn't install McAfee or anything like that, all I can recall was that it added two Media Center games. Those things are usually tiny, they wouldn't have explained the reboots.

Advertisement