Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A5

Options
  • 07-07-2007 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I was wondering if anyone has info on the launch date of this model into Ireland and prices from Audi for here also?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

user QZ posted this picture on the famous "heres what i saw today" thread. it must of already being launched :confused: Nice motor. i like that chrome

dsc01752qc4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭38psi

Av8r_Mark wrote:
    I was wondering if anyone has info on the launch date of this model into Ireland and prices from Audi for here also?
    I saw one in Grange Motors yesterday so I would imagine they are available for test drive.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Av8r_Mark wrote:

they are available already and the pricing is on the audi site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

The official launch in Ireland will be held in the IFSC on Tuesday 17th of July

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

So what do people think of it? Good looking alternative to fugly 3-series coup methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

bigkev49 wrote:
    So what do people think of it? Good looking alternative to fugly 3-series coup methinks.

It's a bit bland and certainly hasn't been that well received by the critics. Personally I think the proportions are a little off.

I really growing to like the 3-series coupe - it's one of the more sucessful iterations of 'Bangle-ism'.

i thought it was pretty well received by all the critics? I prefer it to the 3 series coupe myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

The image above is the S5, also for sale here at the same time as the A5.

Heard just the evening that 'a fella I know' has one ordered for the past few months. (€85k of his finest Euro's).
    Its the same 4.2 FSI 354BHP 6SP as in the RS4.

sk8board wrote:
    Its the same 4.2 FSI 354BHP 6SP as in the RS4.

not quite, the RS4 has the small extra matter of 64 extra bhp!

You are thinking of the S4 I think, which has basically the same engine setup as the S5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Only the larger engines are available at the moment in the A5. The 3.0 TDI seems to be the winner in the A5 but the S5 is just gorgeous. However, €85,000 is a lot and I've had to tell myself many times over the last couple of months that I'd be insane. I'm spending 300 quid a month on fuel keeping an S3 on the road (and I rarely leave Dublin in it) so I can only imagine what the running costs of an S5 are. But of course, it's not about that :D

Prices on Audi.ie or Carzone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Have read quite a few reviews and it seems that the 3.0 Diesel is the one to go for. Saying that, the general consensus is that the 3-series coupe is slightly better.

My one concern with these (BMW coupe, A5 and other) motors is that they are quite attractive shortly after launch because of their exclusivity (due to the larger engines being released first), but then once the smaller engines are released they are everywhere. Saying that I suppose its only a huge concern if you want to turn heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

38psi wrote:
    I saw one in Grange Motors yesterday so I would imagine they are available for test drive.
    Just dropped into Grange Motors on my lunch and couldn't see any A5.....anybody know where it is now? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Drove it last week, drives pretty nicely. Hard to call between it and a 3 Series Coupe. Car i drove had quattro which swung it for me.

Customer previews as someone else said are being held in Ely CHQ IFSC from the 17th onwards.

2.0 petrol and diesels arrive in 1st quarter next year.

My main concern about the 3 Series over the A5 is that I am very much used to (and converted!) to Quattro. The S3 I have just glues to the road, wet or dry.

If I were to get a BMW over the Audi then I might miss that, coupled with the drop in power (I'd more likely go for a 325 coupe) it might be too much!!

Ideally, a 335 would be my choice as a second best to an S5, not far off S5 performance but A LOT cheaper to buy but if I can get a 325 with a nice spec or a 335 with a poverty one, then it'll be the 325.

Can anyone vouch for the new 3 coupe's handling compared to Quattro?

Other thing is what has been mentioned, once 318s/320s start to appear, they start to get very common. I assume the A5 will be the same - although you see far less A6s than 5 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Can anyone vouch for the new 3 coupe's handling compared to Quattro?

..........didn't the M3 get around the Top Gear track faster than the S4 ??

I'd fancy an A5 3.0 diesel, though I too am unsure about the styling, and I haven't seen any in the flesh !!

I drive a 335i coupe and can vouch for its amazing handling and power delivery, as regards to a direct comparisson to the quattro I dont think you can compare the rear wheel drive BMW to the quattro system. I have seen the A5 and its nice but the 335 will always win out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MarkN wrote:
    Ideally, a 335 would be my choice as a second best to an S5, not far off S5 performance but A LOT cheaper to buy

Yeah I don't get the S5. For it's performance it is way overpriced. As in 335 performance (give or take) for M3 money. Surely they won't sell at all?

It could be one of those things that when you add your own personal spec, a 335 M sport is not hugely more than a 325 M sport due to the 335 having a few things like auto as standard - that's €3,005 closer to the 335 already.

There is just something very nice about the BMW.

The S5 is fairly expensive, maybe they should've put a smaller lump in it or something, 4.2 is not needed to achieve 354 bhp but then again, I love the understated Audi thing.

I dunno.. !

unkel wrote:
    Yeah I don't get the S5. For it's performance it is way overpriced. As in 335 performance (give or take) for M3 money. Surely they won't sell at all?
    They might snag a few possible BMW drivers but in the main I dont think it will be that many, also as the RS4 is now out of production they may target them aswell. The diesel version will be the smart choice.

Got my invitation to the launch of the A5/S5 in the post this morning.. I will bring my camera if allowed ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

unkel wrote:

One thousand euro over the old S4 which didnt really sell. 18K below the M3 which will sell for €103K. 16K above the 335 Coupe at 69k. I think its positioned nicely between the 335 and M3. The RS5 will take on the M3 Coupe then whenever that comes out.

RedorDead wrote:
    18K below the M3 which will sell for €103K. 16K below the 335 Coupe at 69k. I think its positioned nicely between the 335 and M3

But that's my point that it can't justify the enormous premium over the 335. About the same price as the 335 (corrected for spec level) and it will sell in some numbers. With these price settings, very few will be sold in this country imho

MarkN wrote:
    Got my invitation to the launch of the A5/S5 in the post this morning.. I will bring my camera if allowed ;)

You'll be the official boards envoy so. Please post back here with your findings (and pics)!

got my invite too, will have to check it out.

i'll be looking at the 1.8T with xtras so I guess will be making it less 'exclusive'.

sorry!

unkel wrote:
    But that's my point that it can't justify the enormous premium over the 335. About the same price as the 335 (corrected for spec level) and it will sell in some numbers. With these price settings, very few will be sold in this country imho

How much was an E46 M3 new? A tad under 100k if memory serves me right? The S5 has slightly more power but will probably be less of a car than the E46 and it's 15k ish cheaper so when you look at it like that it's not too bad.

There is defintely quite a gap between the price of a new 335 coupe and an S5 coupe though - perhaps Audi do it intentionally to keep their S cars exclusive. I still think 85k before extras is a little on the high side, I certainly won't be buying one anyway as it would cost me €1145 per month and for me that is just too much when the ECB keep knocking up mortgage rates! :p

However, if an RS4 loses €25,000 in one year, then maybe I'll pick up a nice 2007 ex demo S5 early next year !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Anyone else who went last night a bit disapointed by the launch? One of the most lacklustre events I've been to in the last few years.

No dealers there (as Audi wanted to keep it dealer neutral) so just Audi staff. 3 cars on display, finger food and free wine - but if you've been to a BMW launch in the few years you'll have seen how these things should be done.

Car looks very well, but even the 3.0Tdi they had on display (outside) was coming in over €85,000 with all the extra's! Dealer lauches should be coming up shortly, probably better there than last night!

Wasn't too impressed either! As you say, the dealers launches are coming up soon, my invitation is to where I bought my car in Cork though :(

The S5 came in at €103,000 with all the toys on it, that's nearly brand new M3 money but obviously nobody is forcing you to spend almost 20k on extras.

The staff there were more than able to answer questions that I asked, they also said you would pick up a good deal 07 S5 in Jan :p I'm not sure if he meant RS4 depreciation but it is worth noting.

I found switches for windows, climate control and things not really very solid and thought the nasty big cup holder in the arm rest was a bit of an eye sore in a car for that price. I'd expect it in a 1.1 Polo but not in an Audi retailing at over 100k.

Looks wise I thought it was lovely, the A5 will need the right wheels to make it look the part, the S Line pack was the thing that caught my eye in the price/spec brochure but again, for exterior and interior it came in at around €7,000, add your leather, auto box and bluetooth and that's around €14,000.

Did it blow the BMW coupe out of the water for me? No.

Here's my pics anyway, I took them with a Nokia N95 so don't be expecting anything too arty. ;)

277319599a5008787942l.jpg
    277319599a5008788377l.jpg
    277319599a5008789210l.jpg
    277319599a5008789661l.jpg
    277319599a5008788790l.jpg
    277319599a5008805876l.jpg
    277319599a5008806246l.jpg

thanks for the pics mark, any more full profile or front on?
    what did you think of the interior? I think I prefer your S3 tbh.
    the aircon/cd/vents look very old fashioned imo. an not even
    alu pedals!

Thanks for the feed back, guys. I like that first picture, Mark. It looks quite big though. Is the A5 much bigger than an E92?

• Advertisement

No alu pedals, no floor mounted accelerator which I thought was VAG wide now almost (my car certainly has one!).

Would you believe I didn't get a front shot at all lads, I actually forgot. :o

Is it much bigger than the E92, I don't think so. I think the C pillar might give you that impression but they seemed the same to me - great boot size actually.

Advertisement