Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I personally would have thought a bit larger than an E92, room in the rear seats for a grown adult (as there is in the E92) as long as you don't have the front seats all the way back.

Forgot to check the boot space, but the cabin was well laid out and you'd get used to the MMi system like the I-drive.

One Dublin dealer is launching on the 25th (west Dublin), one in South Dublin is doing it on the 28th. Got my invites to both this morning but will probably just go to the one in South Dublin. Check the websites and you may be able to register for an invite and test drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

I was a bit underwhelmed with the launch as well. I have a few photos of the launch here

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

MarkN wrote:
    no floor mounted accelerator which I thought was VAG wide now almost (my car certainly has one!).

noticed that myself from your pics, not sure I could go back to a car without a accordian style one now that I am used to it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

copacetic wrote:
    what did you think of the interior? I think I prefer your S3 tbh.
    the aircon/cd/vents look very old fashioned imo. an not even
    alu pedals!

Just looking at the pics posted here, I have to agree on the dashboard. It's odd looking, there's something "80s/90s Japanese car"-looking about it, can't quite put my finger on it. I'm sure the quality of it is fine, but I prefer the dashboard on my A4.

The outside looks gorgeous IMO.

What's the full engine line-up going to be? I can see it doing well in Ireland with 2 litre turbo petrols and diesels.

PauloMN wrote:
    Just looking at the pics posted here, I have to agree on the dashboard. It's odd looking, there's something "80s/90s Japanese car"-looking about it, can't quite put my finger on it. I'm sure the quality of it is fine, but I prefer the dashboard on my A4.

The outside looks gorgeous IMO.

What's the full engine line-up going to be? I can see it doing well in Ireland with 2 litre turbo petrols and diesels.

the 1.8T is available here for is 50k which is interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

They should have had more there for a start with different optioned interiors and colours.

nothing to write home about IMO, though I will take a look at one in the flesh !

• Registered Users Posts: 65,355 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just looked up the dimensions and the A5 is 6cm longer and 7cm wider, the latter being significant enough
    copacetic wrote:
    the 1.8T is available here for is 50k which is interesting

Same price as an E92 320i SE. Still RWD, but no longer a 6-pot. A critical review between these two low end (and in this country best selling) models would be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

PauloMN wrote:

A5 COUPE 1.8 FSI 170BHP 6SP 170 €49,900
    A5 COUPE 2.7TDI 190HP MULTI SE 190 €60,850
    A5 COUPE 3.2 FSI 265BHP 6SP Q 265 €61,950
    A5 COUPE 3.2 FSI 265BHP MULTI 265 €64,900
    A5 COUPE 3.0TDI 238HP 6SP SE Q

S5 COUPE 4.2 FSI 354BHP 6SP Q 354 €85,500

A bit disappointed the 200bhp 2.0T from the didn't make it in, would be a little more grunt than the 1.8.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Dwilly wrote:
    A5 COUPE 1.8 FSI 170BHP 6SP 170 €49,900
    A5 COUPE 2.7TDI 190HP MULTI SE 190 €60,850
    A5 COUPE 3.2 FSI 265BHP 6SP Q 265 €61,950
    A5 COUPE 3.2 FSI 265BHP MULTI 265 €64,900
    A5 COUPE 3.0TDI 238HP 6SP SE Q

S5 COUPE 4.2 FSI 354BHP 6SP Q 354 €85,500

A bit disappointed the 200bhp 2.0T from the didn't make it in, would be a little more grunt than the 1.8.

Yeah, I wondered that when copacetic mentioned the 1.8T. I also would have thought for that car they'd have chosen the 2 litre turbo as the base petrol engine.

Mind you, I'm surprised there's no normally aspirated 1.6 petrol option with 14" alloys for the yummy mummies this being Ireland.... :D

PauloMN wrote:
    Yeah, I wondered that when copacetic mentioned the 1.8T. I also would have thought for that car they'd have chosen the 2 litre turbo as the base petrol engine.

Mind you, I'm surprised there's no normally aspirated 1.6 petrol option with 14" alloys for the yummy mummies this being Ireland.... :D

LOL :)

I gather the base petrol engine for the A5 in some EU countries is the 3.2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

It has certainly helped me decide a bit more on the next car.. And it's 70/30 in favour of the BMW at the moment!

Yeah if I was going to be interested it would have been the petrol turbo, now I'd probably pick the 2.7 diesel !

Are they doing a proper autobox or is it that one with the elastic bands and springs ! :D

So I also see they are not all quattro either, missed that earlier. In this segment I dont think I'd want a front wheel drive car................though I can't truthfully think of a decent reason why !! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

PauloMN wrote:

The most likely and probable reason they chose that engine(probably exclusively for the Irish market) is that if they chose the 2 litre engine, they would have had to pay VRT at the 30% bracket instead of the 25% which they will pay with the 1.8. So it knocks a few thousand off the price they might otherwise have had to charge.

I wonder why Audi didnt bring in the 170 bhp 2 litre TDI(if its available)? Surley it is a more sensible option than the 2.7 litre V6 TDI?

The 3.0 diesel is not hugely more expensive than the 2.7 and it's a far better more opwerful option IMO.

I think the E92 has a better engine line up to be honest, 320 and the 325 mean you don't have to start shelling out mental money on tax.

Apart from the 1.8, the rest of the line up in the A5 is fairly 'non Irish market friendly'.

MarkN wrote:
    The 3.0 diesel is not hugely more expensive than the 2.7 and it's a far better more opwerful option IMO.

True enough. The 2.0TDI is easily tuned to 200bhp as in the Seat Leon FR, IMO this would much better value for money! 2.7 is a rather old engine IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

unkel wrote:
    LOL :)

I gather the base petrol engine for the A5 in some EU countries is the 3.2

I would imagine in some EU countries a petrol offering isnt even necessary!

MarkN wrote:
    I think the E92 has a better engine line up to be honest, 320 and the 325 mean you don't have to start shelling out mental money on tax

Don't let the (admittedly painful and like you say mental) tax weigh too much though, Mark. Sit back and reflect and you'll find tax is only a fraction of the overall cost of owning the car. Depreciation will cost you several times what you pay in tax on a big engined car. The difference in how we perceive tax vs depreciation is that you actually have to pay tax. Depreciation is something you suffer in silence. You only notice when selling / trading in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

MarkN wrote:

I think the E92 has a better engine line up to be honest, 320 and the 325 mean you don't have to start shelling out mental money on tax.

Apart from the 1.8, the rest of the line up in the A5 is fairly 'non Irish market friendly'.

2.0TFSI 211BHP and 2.0TDI 170 both arriving in the car next spring. Article below from SBP:

Audi A5 models now on sale

22 July 2007 By Ferdia O’Dowd

The first of Audi’s new A5 model variants are now in Irish showrooms, coming in SE trim.

This sleek 2+2 coupe will certainly turn heads and attract buyers for whom the TT model is too small.

Initially, the choice is between a 265bhp 3.2-litre petrol version with either front or Quattro drive (€64,900 and €65,250) or two diesels, a 190bhp 2.7 litre front wheel drive at €60,850 or a 238bhp 3.0 TDi Quattro model at €64,900.

Before the end of the year, there will be a 1.8 TFSi version at €50,000, while 2-litre diesel and petrol versions will come in spring next year.

Standard equipment levels are good on these SE versions, including 17-inch alloy wheels. At the same time, the more powerful S5 will be introduced.

This has a 4.2-litre V8 engine producing 354bhp. Its additional standard equipment includes 18inch alloy wheels and sports suspension, which may have a negative effect on Ireland’s less than perfect country roads.

When tested in Italy last May, Quattro versions proved enjoyable and very sure-footed but the standard front-wheel drive car seemed to lack poise and grip on wet, twisty roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Saw an S5 at the Pavillions roundabout in Swords on Friday (sorry no pic, roundabout, p!ssing rain), and I have to say, it's very nice. I've been following this thread and was firmly on the 335i Coupe side, but seeing the S5 in the metal...wow...it was a dark grey, btw.

I don't think it's worth €85k before options though, I'd still probably pick a 335i coupe with the M-Sport pack, €10k of options and a couple of weeks in Antigua...

Gatster wrote:
    Saw an S5 at the Pavillions roundabout in Swords on Friday (sorry no pic, roundabout, p!ssing rain), and I have to say, it's very nice. I've been following this thread and was firmly on the 335i Coupe side, but seeing the S5 in the metal...wow...it was a dark grey, btw.

I don't think it's worth €85k before options though, I'd still probably pick a 335i coupe with the M-Sport pack, €10k of options and a couple of weeks in Antigua...

Did you notice who the driver was??? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

No, couldn't get alongside...traffic, rain. Was it you then???

RedorDead wrote:
    Standard equipment levels are good on these SE versions, including 17-inch alloy wheels.

Reckon this car needs at least 18" wheels to balance out the shape a bit..

Took a 335 coupe out at the weekend from Frank Keane's. Nice bit of poke while I have yet to drive an A5 but I much preferred the BMW interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Just saw an S5(I think) driving by Leopardstown Racecourse about 20mins ago....looks gorgeous in the flesh!

the se spec mentioned above, have to say if the 1.8T has this spec for 50k it seems decent value.
    audi.ie wrote:
    Standard Specification (for SE Models):6 Speed Manual transmission
    17" lightweight forged aluminium alloy wheels in 6-arm design
    Arcade cloth seat upholstery
    Audi parking system
    Audi sound system (10 high performance loudspeakers (180 watt) with 6 channel amplifier
    Automatic air conditioning, with sun sensor
    Automatic headlight-range adjustment dynamic (self-adjusting while driving)
    Belt control, electric contact in buckle
    Boot lid release from inside (electrically)
    Concert radio with mp3 compatible cd player
    Cruise control
    Door sill trims with aluminium inlay
    Driver's and front passenger airbag with front passenger airbag deactivation
    Driver information system
    Electric Front windows
    Electrically adjustable and heated exterior mirrors
    Electronic stabilization program (ESP)
    Electronic vehicle immobilization device
    Exterior mirror housings painted in body colour
    First aid kit with warning triangle
    Folding rear seat back
    Front and rear fog lights
    Front and rear isofix points with passenger airbag deactivation switch
    Front centre armrest
    Headlight washers
    Height adjustable front seats
    Heat-insulating glass on Windscreen
    High-gloss package
    Instrument insert with km/h speedometer, clock, tachometer and trip odometer
    Leather-covered sports steering wheel, 3-spoke
    LED Daytime driving lights
    Light and rain sensor
    Locking wheel bolts
    Luggage compartment floor covering
    Micrometallic platinum inlays
    Parking brake
    Radio remote controlled central locking
    Rear floor mats
    Side airbag front with curtain airbag
    Side and rear windows tinted
    Space-saving spare wheel
    Speed-related variable steering assist (Servotronic)
    Tire size - 225/50 R17 98Y xl
    Tyre pressure control display
    Twin tailpipe design (one on left and one on right).
    Xenon Lights

LIGHTNING wrote:
    That spec isnt anything too generous to be fair, half of that stuff is standard on most modern cars. Apart from the Xenons,tyre pressure sensors,sound system and heated seats the rest is stuff you would get on a 27k Ford Mondeo.

well, when you have experience of buying an audi and specing it up you'd probably have a better idea of just how generous that spec is as standard on an audi!

Also I'm not sure what spec mondeo you are talking about but loads more of the stuff there isn't standard on the mondeo??

copacetic wrote:
    the se spec mentioned above, have to say if the 1.8T has this spec for 50k it seems decent value.

I was going to post that was a very generous spec for the price. Then I looked up the spec of the base BMW E92. It has pretty much all of that plus 18" alloys for under €50k list

To be honest, I'm shocked at the spec of the BMW - it has moved on a long way from leccy windows and alloy wheels being optional extras only a few years ago

No I think that spec is still a little scabby, Audi's always were. Even my last car a '01 C-Class had nearly all of that as standard, plus more !

I would expect more for the money, especially if they want to compete with the established competitors in this segment !

No I think that spec is still a little scabby, Audi's always were. Even my last car a '01 C-Class had nearly all of that as standard, plus more !

I would expect more for the money, especially if they want to compete with the established competitors in this segment !

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    I was going to post that was a very generous spec for the price. Then I looked up the spec of the base BMW E92. It has pretty much all of that plus 18" alloys for under €50k list

To be honest, I'm shocked at the spec of the BMW - it has moved on a long way from leccy windows and alloy wheels being optional extras only a few years ago

Thats what happens when you remove the distributor from the equation!!! :)

Advertisement