Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A5

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Being as much as an Audi fan as I am and probably more than the next person (I've spent over 100k on them) I also find it funny that engine start is standard on the E92 but it's over €1,000 on the Audi.

Granted, the 320i coupe with M sport comes in at around 60k and you could spec 10k of extras on a 1.8T A5 SE to bring it up to the same level but I bet the BMW still has more as standard.

A few years ago the spec would be seen as generous but if they are to poach a few BMW fans then I think they need to try harder. Maybe they don't want to and couldn't care less.. but either way, the BMW seems better value to me.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

unkel wrote:
    I was going to post that was a very generous spec for the price. Then I looked up the spec of the base BMW E92. It has pretty much all of that plus 18" alloys for under €50k list

To be honest, I'm shocked at the spec of the BMW - it has moved on a long way from leccy windows and alloy wheels being optional extras only a few years ago

will have to look at that spec again, remember checking it out before and thinking it wasn't great..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

copacetic wrote:
    will have to look at that spec again, remember checking it out before and thinking it wasn't great..

Cant believe people are comparing the BMW coupe to the Audi A5

I've driven both...although the BMW is faster the Audi A5 handles very well especially around coners and round abouts....very similar to the flight of a blue bottle...

Both cars were sumed up on top gear....

BMW = Ibiza Raver Vs Audi = Sophisication & class

Every Tom, Dick and Harry seems to have a BMW now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

It's the other way round, people are comparing the Audi (the newcomer) to the BMW (the established model). Seems like an odd question, why wouldn't they be compared, they are competing for the same customers/market segment I'd imagine?

I think it's a bit of a reach to say "Every Tom, Dick and Harry has a BMW now"...there may be a lot more about than there used to be, but most of them aren't 335i coupes ;)
    In all genuine honesty if I had €80k to spend on a coupe, I'd get a second 645i or CL500 if I needed 4 seats, as I'm not bothered about brand-new cars.

Lexus1976 wrote:

PMSL!

Eh, they are both coupes, both start around 50k, both aim at same type of driver.. what is there not to believe?

It's a bit like saying you can't believe someone is comparing an A3 with a 1 series.

And how the BMW has less class than the Audi I don't know. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Lexus1976 wrote:

I've driven both...although the BMW is faster the Audi A5 handles very well especially around coners and round abouts....very similar to the flight of a blue bottle...

..........maybe every Tom, Dick and Harry also knows BMW's are better drivers cars !

I took a look at the A5 last night, briefly I was in ahurry and trying not to show an interest. Its bigger in the flesh than it looks, and looks very well, though they were alll top spec models !

I found the interior dissapointing and some of the switchgear a bit fiddly/messy, but my main critcism was the space in the rear, which feels cramped and rather less roomy than the dimensions would suggest !

The problem is made even worse by the fact that the rear side windows do not open at all, very clausterphobic, especially after the pillarless design of both Mercs I have.

That issue alone would stop me from buying one !

Overall, its typical Audi i.e it feels basic and is just too little too late, then again its fairly cheap, so we can get used to seeing poverty spec ones everywhere in a few months !

unkel wrote:
    I was going to post that was a very generous spec for the price. Then I looked up the spec of the base BMW E92. It has pretty much all of that plus 18" alloys for under €50k list

To be honest, I'm shocked at the spec of the BMW - it has moved on a long way from leccy windows and alloy wheels being optional extras only a few years ago

had a look at the 320i SE spec and it doesn't seem as good as you are saying, firstly it comes with 17 inch alloys, add metallic and it comes up as 50,755. (add 18s and it adds €1645)

Then as far as I can tell it is missing, rain and light sensor, armrest, front parking sensors, sound system, sun protection glass, isofix, LED DRLs, high gloss trim, adaptive headlights and even floor mats!,

(about 3k to add these?)

although it does have multifunction steering wheel as std, which I don't think the audi has.

I could be looking at the wrong spec? Anyway I guess they are close enough in spec to not make much difference to most people I guess.

So based on specs the audi seems a bit better value
    MercMad wrote:
    No I think that spec is still a little scabby, Audi's always were. Even my last car a '01 C-Class had nearly all of that as standard, plus more !

as for mercs comment here, not sure if the older ones had a better spec but feck all comes as standard on the new c class, i've specced one of them up too recently and a c180k avantgarde amg (the closest to an A5) comes to about 5k more than the A5 for the same spec.

It does look the biz though.

adrianquinnC-CSil892.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,355 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

copacetic wrote:
    had a look at the 320i SE spec and it doesn't seem as good as you are saying, firstly it comes with 17 inch alloys, add metallic and it comes up as 50,755. (add 18s and it adds €1645)

Looks like you're right. I looked at the spec on carzone and according to them 18" is standard. Just looked at bmw.ie and indeed the 18" alloys are optional. I think we should believe bmw over carzone :)

And metallic paint is indeed a grand more. Is it standard on the Audi?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

That Merc does look well in that photo doesn't it !

What does the Merc not have that the Audi does , and its a little unfair adding the AMG package pricewise !

Anyway my point was that, whilst the standard equipment is fairly generous it needs more to take customers away from the established competitors !

I've just looked through and specced it up on CarZone, with the various options I would HAVE to have, versus what I would really like. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised !

Maybe its worth a look in the flesh and in detail...................what am I talking about, I'm not going to be spending that type of money at the moment no matter how nice the A5 is !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

Lexus1976 wrote:

You must be thinking of the old M3 vs the Audi RS4...not the E92 vs the A5. That comparison hasn't been done on TG yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

That C-Class Avantgarde does look well but it is fitted with the AMG kit which costs ~4k extra.

MercMad wrote:
    That Merc does look well in that photo doesn't it !

What does the Merc not have that the Audi does , and its a little unfair adding the AMG package pricewise !

Anyway my point was that, whilst the standard equipment is fairly generous it needs more to take customers away from the established competitors !

I've just looked through and specced it up on CarZone, with the various options I would HAVE to have, versus what I would really like. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised !

Maybe its worth a look in the flesh and in detail...................what am I talking about, I'm not going to be spending that type of money at the moment no matter how nice the A5 is !

that amg package just seems to add sports seats, interior and exterior trim. assuming you are starting from the avangarde package it is only 4k or so extra. If starting form a classic it is 8k i think. It gives it the closest look to the coupes imo so picked it for comparison.

The basic classic c-class has pretty much nothing as far as I can see, you have to go to the avantgarde/elegance to get any kind of spec?

Unkel, no the metallic isn't std on the audis either, I was just noting the cost, I think the metallic may even be cheaper on the bmw.

@mike, thats why I called it the c-class avantgarde amg! the sport model comes std with the amg kit in the uk.

Lads here's an A5 I found on Audi.ie.

82K and you don't get full leather.. Now it has lots of other toys including Audi Nav Plus but for that price, you don't expect to see suede on seats.

http://plugin.audi.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=748315

grangeA5Ice399.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Have to admit, those seats look horrid.....that exact model went horsing by me on Kill Lane in Deansgrange and boy could it shift!

Had a good look at both the S5 and A5 today. Must say I was well impressed. I actually really like the interior when sitting in the drivers seat. Got the full spec/options list as well, only issue I'd have with the standard spec is that the std wheels don't look great and the upgraded ones are expensive, otherwise add metallic/pearl paint and alarm you are basically good to go. However metallic is 1300 or so. Dissapointing to see the alarm isn't std and costs 767.

Of course when you look at the options list there is plenty of temptation and adding colour for DIS at 197, silk nappa at 2k, hill hold at 86, lighting package at 230 etc etc..

I'd reckon the 1.8T is enough for me (8.4s 0-100, 228 top speed) 10.4l/100k urban, with metallic (1300), basic 18s (1300), alarm (800), nappa(2000) and various other little bits (1000).

You are looking at 57k or so. ouch!

fletch wrote:
    Have to admit, those seats look horrid.....that exact model went horsing by me on Kill Lane in Deansgrange and boy could it shift!

Must have been someone on a test drive - it really is a very generous amount of BHP for a diesel car, add on the torque and Quattro and I'd say it really is a fun car to drive.

Advertisement