Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol Licence

Options
  • 07-07-2007 8:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Lads I'd like to know your opinions on the following regarding my pistol licence, personally I'm delighted with the outcome although it might cause some of you more fustration..
    I've had my rifle licence for 3 years, I approached my local FAO and told him I was considering purchasing a pistol (.22) and wanted his opinion/feedback. He asked me what my security arrangements were and he said to put in for the licence and we'll see what happens. One month later I had my licence...

P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

That's a good outcome Patrick, presumably you had all the boxes ticked and everything was in order. I've seen quicker; less than two weeks I believe it was.

.22 pistols don't seem to cause too much trouble with the Gardai at the moment, presumably that's an indication of what's going to be on the restricted list :(

What sort of pistol did you get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭patrick2007

Monitored alarm and 2 safes, 1 for ammo the other for the sporting firearms.
    I got a Walther P22, its grand for me at the minute as I'm not competing however from reading other threads I get the impression its not the most accurate of pistols, none the less it does me fine...
    I have wondered what kind of response my FO would give me if I applied for a Glock for example, I mean if he's ok with a .22 what kind of objection could he put forward for not giving me a 9mm..

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Monitored alarm and 2 safes, 1 for ammo the other for the sporting firearms.
    I got a Walther P22, its grand for me at the minute as I'm not competing however from reading other threads I get the impression its not the most accurate of pistols, none the less it does me fine...
    I have wondered what kind of response my FO would give me if I applied for a Glock for example, I mean if he's ok with a .22 what kind of objection could he put forward for not giving me a 9mm..

P

Well a long silence is the preferred method :) Some here have had silences stretching into years! Others have had no difficulty bar slight delays, it's a matter of inconsistency you see :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I've had experience of the P22, and it wasn't a good one. Damn thing was incredibly inaccurate, very noisy and got hot reeeeal quick.

It's good to start off with, but don't let it put you off .22's. There are lots of good semi-target and target .22's out there starting at about €500. That price band should tell you all you need to know about pistols like the P22 and the Sig Mosquito. Most of them will shoot better than you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am impressed that you got a licence in a month. Your super must be very good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Well done.
    Personally I didnt like the feel of hat model, but I use a friends regularly and it's as good as the amount of practice you put in. Put it on a bench rest and you get a very tight group. It doesnt seem fussy with ammo either!!

Sounds like you went about things the right way, its nice to be nice (got my licence in 4 days).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

A new world record?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭patrick2007

I thought I was doing well but 4 days!!
    I had all my security arrangements in place before I approached my FO. I had 3 conversations with him before finally applying, for me personally I was getting a monitored alarm installed anyway so it was never going to be an issue if the FO had made it a requirement. He did call around to the house one evening to have a look and seemed happy enough.
    I normally put Lapua club thru the P22, it has had a couple of jams maybe 10 in probably 800 rounds I would say so I'm pleased about that, as for accuracy I'd say its myself more than the pistol who cant hold the group at this stage:)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Two shooting pals recently applied for 9mm pistols, two different lenster districts, 12 days each to get FAC including weekends!! First pistols but both had rifle/shotgun before. No one was more suprised then myself!!

Advertisement