Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the difference between these two plasma's?

• 07-07-2007 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

What's the difference between these two sets, the Panasonic TH42PZ700 and the TH42PY700. Both do 1920×1080 (full HD). Komplette.ie is selling the PY and it's cheaper then what I can get the PZ for. I can't find any review in english for the TH42PY700. And also, will the TH42PY700 work ok in Ireland?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

No actually the more expensive model is the one that does the full 1080p as far as I can see the cheaper model can handle the 1080p signal but then downconverts it to 768, I'd double check the more expensive one to make sure that it can handle 1080p 24fps before I'd buy to future proof and avoid the annoying judder effect on blu-ray and HD-DVD.

Snake ;)

cheaper here then Komplett http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/en/lcd-plasma-tv/plasma-tv/168980/-/Article.html?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

The TH-42PY700 does do full HD. http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=337232

yes it does sorry thought you were comparing the cheaper 700 listed on Komplett, downloaded the manuals to have a look and only difference between the PY and PZ is that the PY has a DVB tuner built in for Freeview the PZ doesn't, both do full 1080p native.

Snake ;)

Thanks for that Snake. My only problem now is that they're out of stock. Would you have any idea what the shipping cost usually is? And, Have you bought from TECHIKdirekt.de? They look good and they are cheaper.:)

Yes I bought my PV7142" from them its 80 Euros shipping which isn't bad, the set comes shrink wrapped on a pallet and arrived in perfect condition, also in the week that I bought it I found a cheaper site and they gave me a 150euros back on my card, good company to deal with.

Snake ;)

• Advertisement

Do you think I should go with the PZ(now that I found one in my price range)? I'm using SkyHD so don't really need the DVB do I.

Do you think I should go with the PZ(now that I found one in my price range)? I'm using SkyHD so don't really need the DVB do I.

Its up to you, if your in the dublin area they are running DVB-T tests and this set will pick those channels up, but as you have a skyhd, you should be ok.

Snake ;)

No, I'm in County Cork and we only just got broadband so I can't see DVB coming anytime soon. Sorry to ask soooo many questions, but I've herd that a full HD set will make SD look worse then if were shown on a lower res HD set. Is that true?
    Hey thanks again for the link.

of the two screen technologies SD looks a lot closer to a crt picture then a LCD. So if you have a decent cable service or decent TV signal then it should be fine, but if you have a snowy picture then when blown up to 42" it will look worse, the pannys have PNR in them and that can improve the picture, so I really didn't notice any difference, on full 1080 sets I can't see how it would look worse on them, the only 1080 sets at the moment have all been LCD, so that comment might be directed towards LCD. So wouldn't worry about it.

Snake ;)

Advertisement