Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council bans dangerous dog breeds

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ok I've just emailed Mr.Humphrey's (Labour councillor mentioned).

And in the process of contacting my locals councillors and TD's.

Lads, for crying out loud. Stop fighting amongst yourselfs here and save it to fight the power's that be!.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As a non-Dubliner I couldn't be bothered with some Dublin councillor ...I've just written to Minister John Gormley.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Ministers/MinisterGormleysCV/

peasant wrote:
    As a non-Dubliner I couldn't be bothered with some Dublin councillor ...I've just written to Minister John Gormley.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Ministers/MinisterGormleysCV/

Great, I'll email him now.

I was just suggesting Humphrey's since he's mentioned in the 'Times articule.

Anyone else with names to contact?.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

copacetic wrote:
    yet you don't think these dogs should be banned?

A lot of problems with pitbulls started when they were added to the list of dangerous dogs. Since then, they've become the must-have scumbag accessory.

It's sad to see German Shepherd added to the list. They have lovely temperaments when they're raised by good owners. Now we're going to see Alsatians being raised only by people who choose to flout the law, exactly the people you don't want owning such a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

if its going to be a country wide ban what about the german shepards in the gaurds?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Anymore personal attacks on another poster and this thread is being locked.So far Ive had 3 reported posts about this thread.

For the record the muppets in government havent a clue.
    Ive met Staffies/Rotties etc that I`d trust with my kids more than my Westie.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

For anyone wanting to get in touch with politicians / county councillers etc check out the listings here

www.anvilireland.ie

a written & posted letter is better than an email & will make more of a point

a well thought out short letter with hard facts to back it up will be better than angry ramblings (which is all I'd come out with if I wrote now)

personally I have 2 rescue labs & 3 rescue cats & have a beautiful foster dog at the moment - he's a pit bull - he's out in the garden playing with my 2 at the moment - just like the lovely little dog he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

if its going to be a country wide ban what about the german shepards in the gaurds?

Now I bet they will be FINE!

Label any dog as dangerous & the scum bags will want them! Pit bulls make wonderful family pets!

Bull breeds were originally bred as family dogs - they protected the women & children whilst the men were away at times of war! They often had the knick name of nanny dogs.

BAD OWNERS MAKE BAD PETS!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

You are right personal attacks WILL NOT BE PERMITTED - Congrats you are now banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

http://www.anvilireland.ie/frulcrum.html?ep=24&ad=92&to=9

listing of Dublin City Councillors on the ANVIL site

all the TD's etc are also listed

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote:
    Well since it seems personal abuse is allowed.

I assume you are referring to me you cúnt? You also don't seem to be able to read (probably going blind from being a wanker). I never said 'all these dogs' are bred for fighting. I said they are all relatively dangerous because of their various breeds characteristics. I also said I didn't really see why shepards were in there, but I certainly pity your dog with a psycho like you for an owner.

Absolutely uncalled for and reported.

:mad:

Copacetic has been banned.

Right this is the ONLY warning I will give on this thread. The next person who posts up a personal attack or abuse or racial content will be banned & this thread will be LOCKED!

Lets keep this on topic - we are talking about a ban on dangerous dogs - NOTHING ELSE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭TwoKingMick

Anyone think the ISPCA and the DSPCA will be interested in this? Aren't they generally against the mass extermination of family pets?

A few questions I have. How will this be enforced? Will dog wardens be knocking around people's houses collecting their pets for destruction? Doesn't that mean that only people who followed the bloody rules and registered their pets in the first place will have them calling around? Surely the dog wardens aren't going to be brave enough to go charging in to where all the actual problem dogs are being bred and kept, it's the thus far law abiding citizens who are going to suffer. Do you think the people who were keeping dogs illegally in the first place will care that it's now more illegal?

Also as cowzerp said earlier how will this affect people who live in houses on council estates but have long since bought the house?

Surely the government must see how ridiculous it is that dogs that were bought, reared and cared for perfectly legally and with no incident, can now be taken away because of a decision made with apparently no public choice?

Mick,

Disgusted

Aparently the DSPCA is against this.

DSPCA condemns Dublin City Council's dog ban
    07/07/2007 - 12:20:42

An animal protection group is describing the move by Dublin City Council to ban 11 breeds of dogs from its properties as "totally irresponsible".

The Council will no longer allow certain breeds of dogs, including Rottweilers and German Shepherds, to be kept in its houses and flats.

The ban on the so-called "dangerous breeds" may also to be extended to public parks.

Jimmy Cahill from the Dublin Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals said today that the council is effectively sentencing the dogs to death.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhkfidaumhey/

What we can do is email TDs etc & show what loving dogs these can make.

From the front page of the DSPCA website,

Kelly

This bundle of fun is Kelly.

Kelly is a 1 year old, white, Staffordshire Bull Terrier - Labrador Cross. She is very friendly and loves to get out and about for a walk on her lead.

Kelly is very friendly and is always happy to meet new people.

Kelly will be vaccinated, microchipped and neutered before going to a new home.

thumb.jpg?t=1183831834

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Ill do and go where I like with my dobies anyway and they can do what they like. :)

Ill do and go where I like with my dobies anyway and they can do what they like. :)

Hey Alfasudcrazy, dogs like this have a bad reputation already, we should all be working together to show that 'dangerous breed' owners are responsible people too, and we won't go around flounting the law, but that the law itself isn't right.
    Saying that we'll do what we like anyway won't help the cause unfortunatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Brilliant, i just adopted a rescue akita last week :mad:

First things first, lets get a list of councillors who have voted this nonsense into existance and let them have it. Politicians are spineless publicity seeking tossers to a man/woman, if they get enough grief to negate the easy publicity of a "wont someone please think of the children" campaign they'll think twice

Of course the real problem is the media, theyre the untouchables in the equation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

they don't have the manpower to police this, especially in public parks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Dogs usually make good pets , it's people who make bad owners. As an ex-D owner, I am saddened that such a law has been introduced, but not surprised either.

Some of the comments here would make one nervous about owner suitability etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

I for one have always been saddened to see dobies on the list. They are sensitive lovable clowns.
    Instead of fighting amongst each other, can we direct that energy towards the future of animal welfare & the best chance we've got to change the disgrace that it is now.
    www.anvilireland.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

I own a GSD - she is now only a pup. I'm lucky I don't live in Dublin because they'd be getting their butts kicked if they tryed taking her from me!
    I had dogs all my life. I'd trust GSD's, rottis and dobbies more then terriers I see loose and have heard endless amount of people who say "sure he won't hurt ya". I've been bitten by terriers but people don't see them as "dangerous" - whats a bitten ankle - there are some terriers won't leave go until the bone breaks. Oh and GSD's were bredd as Shepherds - what they were bred for is kinda given away in their name....they are great with kids. I have no kids (thank god - im more maternal over my dog tbh) but my friends 3 y.o. was crying the other day and she went over andlicked her face until she started giggling!
    They need to TEACH people what to do with dogs - education is better then taking dogs away from them only to be replaced by more dogs. There are dogs that are mistreated and misunderstood, no point removing them and the owners who don't know what to do so they can start all over again with new dogs. As many have said before me, the more you call an animal as "dangerous" the more louts and wannabe scumbags want them to make them look butch and dangerous. In the US they have only pitbulls banned in a few states. At least they realise it's not enitrely the breeds fault...irresponsible breeding and training/lack of training are.

Sent this email to ANVIL : hope to get an answer on how else we can help : (just hope I worded it right!)

I hear Dublin CIty council are bringing in an act to stop people living in council houses/apartments or estates from owning any of the dogs listed on the Dangerous Dogs Act. How can that possibly stop any problems by doing that - it's just lead to more innocent dogs being destroyed just for them being that breed of dog?! How is that legal? Any ideas how I can help stop this act? Espically when they are considering making it to involve the entire country? I'd appreciate hearing from you in regards to this and how I and my friends can help you with this. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

I agree wih most of you that it's a disgrace to kill dogs just because someone thinks they are dangerous, and that this new law is a rash decision by clueless but publicity-driven politicians.
    But isn't it a typical occurence that politicians decide about things they know nothing about? And that they want their decisions made legal and put into action NOW? Without asking experts - unless, of course, the cousin of the wife's best friend has a consult agency or such like and there is a lot of money to be made. Or: when they don't want to take responsibility for their decisions they announce a referendum ("ah, the people decided, not our fault").

But dogs, or any other animal, are just things, at best private property, with no defence whatsoever. A lot of people have dogs, they could pull together and fight this new law. But unfortunately most dog-owners don't give a fart anyway about their dogs looking at the way they treat them.
    Well, maybe there is a clever solicitor out there who might think about an anti-scheme? But then, solicitors don't go into action just for the love of dogs...

One thing I didn't find out and don't understand anyway: How come that these 11 breeds where chosen to be dangerous? Why did nobody take into consideration that for example the bitesize terrierX along the way where I don't walk anymore is far more dangerous? He makes a growling, barking and snarling beeline out of the yard towards any bypasser and has already bitten a friend of mine. Neither her nor I blame the dog btw., but we both could strangle the owner, some gnarling, barking and growling old farmer who turned this probably loveable little thing into a menace.

Another example: One guy in the vicinity kept a pit bull who attacked anyone walking along the road where he lived. He run wild because the owner was most of the time stoned out of his head and couldn't be bothered. Of course, it's the dog's fault, he started to kill sheep and was eventually destroyed. But nobody blamed that dopehead of a owner, no, it was that "dangerous breed".

I, too, am a bit scared when I see massive dogs running around without owner around, but I'm even more scared when I see owners of the variety "melon-sized muscles, pea-sized brain" in a swagger like "me Tarzan, he lion - be afraid, be very afraid". Or just dopeheads.

Who closes their eyes to the real danger in society and choses the easy way out, destroying the weakest link? Who bends the law as they like? Who makes exemptions from the law for their own benefit? Okay, was rhethoric, stupid questions, really.

I wonder, how many politicians have dogs themselves. I wonder what breeds are popular among them. And I wonder which destiny the German shepherd of councillor xy will face.

In a celebrity-mad society, maybe some action group should activate all dog-owning or -loving celebs, put a big advert in all the major newspapers and put the responsible politicians to slee..., eh blame.

Just my thoughts for the weekend.

Celtic tiger, my oarse...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

corkimp wrote:
    I hear Dublin CIty council are bringing in an act to stop people living in council houses/apartments or estates from owning any of the dogs listed on the Dangerous Dogs Act. How can that possibly stop any problems by doing that - it's just lead to more innocent dogs being destroyed just for them being that breed of dog?! How is that legal? Any ideas how I can help stop this act? Espically when they are considering making it to involve the entire country? I'd appreciate hearing from you in regards to this and how I and my friends can help you with this. Thank you.

Just to clarify here, we do not have a dangerous dogs act, rather the 11 breeds banned by Dublin City Council are listed as "restricted" breeds in the Control of dogs act and are to be muzzled in public, kept on a lead and in the control of someone over 16 years of age.

If people are contacting politicians, having the right information about the current legislation in terms of the Control of Dogs Act would be a help.

Also there are as yet unsigned into laws sections of the control of dogs act which seek to restrict the numbers of dogs one can have and allow greater access to private houses for dogwardens.

Thread closed due to complaints, trolling and general muppetry.

If you wish to continue the discussion in a peaceful manner please feel free to start a new thread

Thank You
    Faye.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement