Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brussels Sprouts leaves are infested

Options
  • 07-07-2007 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭

Brussels Sprouts leaves are infested with caterpillers any ideas on how to get rid of them?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Pick or spray.
    Picking them is more ecological.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Spray! Picking them is a waste of time in my experience.

There is some biological spray, then name of which I am unsure of but it could be something like Biotrol, that only kills caterpillars and is totally safe to everything else. Ask in any good garden centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

siochain, a home made organic and safe option is to mix 1 tablespoon of salt into 2 litres of water which you can spray onto the larvae.
    This may kill some of them and stun the others which will then fall from the plants.
    Ready to be swept up with dustpan and brush or eaten by the birds.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

siochain, a home made organic and safe option is to mix 1 tablespoon of salt into 2 litres of water which you can spray onto the larvae.
    This may kill some of them and stun the others which will then fall from the plants.
    Ready to be swept up with dustpan and brush or eaten by the birds.
    Good luck.

I'm sure there's some merit in this IG, but I tried it a few weeks ago when my cabbage was infested. It didn't work.... in fact, I'd say it made the cabbage more palatable for them. I then tried picking. Left them overnight and when I saw all the caterpillars the following morning, I went out and got spray. About 20 mins and they were sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Avns1s wrote:
    I'm sure there's some merit in this IG, but I tried it a few weeks ago when my cabbage was infested. It didn't work

Sorry to hear that Avns1s.
    Did you spray to run off?
    What was the mix rate?
    I have found this method is very effective, I used it just the other day on my nasturtiums which were being eaten by caterpillars.

FYI siochain, I believe the the spray that Avns1s is speaking about contains the bacterium Bacillus thuringiensis, so have a look out for products containing this.
    This will help you find the particular spray mentioned.
    You may possibly find it more effective than the salt soution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

cheers folks will try the salt first and failing that will get the spray.

Thanks again

Advertisement