Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional Licence & Eye Test

Options
  • 07-07-2007 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Don't know if this is the right forum, Sorry if it ain't.

Getting my license soon, Have an eye test today, Have perfect vision in one eye, but not so great in the other. Anyone failed this test and have to get glasses????? Is it mainly a test using both eyes or what??? I haven't a clue.

Anyone know how much the actual test costs, And if i do have to get corrective lenses for driving how much will those cost me.

Cheers For Any Info.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There's a Learning to Drive forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=909

You'll need to get glasses, the test is for both eyes. An eye test for a driver's license costs around €15 but you might have to go for a full on eye test if you fail it (the full on test typically costs around €25). I reckon the glasses after that should cost you about €100 if you're going for the cheapest frames and lenses. I think you can claim money back off your PRSI contributions though. (You can ask about that in the State Benefits forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Thats wrong, one good eye is enough... have the same problem myself and as a long as your good eye is good enough you will be fine.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

A guy I know has 20/20 vision in one eye and poor vision in the other eye, and he's required to wear glasses. Maybe it depends on who you get to do the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If you are required to wear corrective lenses, then this will be indicated on your license with the code 01 and you will be required to be using those corrective lenses, at all times, whilst driving in a public place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 [NOG]ph0rce

Well i went down he tested my right eye, said it was perfect:D But my left eye was bad, couldn't see poop:confused: . But still i met the requirements, Sounds dodgy to me, But at least i don't have to shell out €€€€ on glasses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

i dont have great long range eye sight....would this be a prob?? i can see objects in the distance but i cant realy read great....i have to be 15m or less to read a number plate....would i pass the test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Well i went down he tested my right eye, said it was perfect:D But my left eye was bad, couldn't see poop:confused: . But still i met the requirements, Sounds dodgy to me, But at least i don't have to shell out €€€€ on glasses

Technically I need distance glasses but don't wear them. Passed the licence eye test with flying colours! I don't think they set the bar very high...

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

ellscurr wrote:
    Technically I need distance glasses but don't wear them. Passed the licence eye test with flying colours! I don't think they set the bar very high...

Yeah, the required standard is really low. When i went to get my eye test, i was told i had perfect vision, but the guy showed me the "driving standard" test and it was like reading the top/2nd line on 1 of those wall charts. Probably work on the assumption that anyone who needs glasses to read this probably has them already, and then its just a case of annotating this on your license.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have terrible eyesight (couldn't even find my car without glasses) but according to my license I don't need to wear corrective lenses while driving. Great, eh? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Hi all,
    I've already got everything I need to apply for my provisional licence, with the exception of the Eyesight Report. I had an eye test for new glasses in Specsavers 6 weeks ago, I'm just wondering does anyone know if they'll give me the OK for this form, or will I have to sit another test (and pay for it).
    Main reason I want to know is time considerations to apply before I have to go to work tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Steve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

You need them to fill out the specific form for the driving application...I imagine they will insist on redoing the test & charging.....

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

jhegarty wrote:
    You need them to fill out the specific form for the driving application...I imagine they will insist on redoing the test & charging.....

Possibly. If it's only recent they might be decent and fill in the form for you (if you can get the same optician).

But if they do insist on testing again (I really don't see why they would though) at least the Driving Licence eye test is less comprehensive and cheaper. IIRC it's really just the "pre-test" that they normally give you when you're going for a full test for glasses, maybe a bit extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash