Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux for begginer, reccomendations?

• 07-07-2007 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a new Mac in a couple of weeks and have decide to completly wipe my current laptop and install Linux. However I'm a complete begginer with it so can anyone reccomend any easy distro (I think there called distros, once again, I'm a complete begginer) to get started with.

Thanks,
    S.

Also, any tips or anything regarding Linux? Feel free to throw them my way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

It has to be Ubuntu!

Get the download here

Its a great distro for beginners. Its what I currently use and love it! Post up any questions you may have. People will readily help you out.

Steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Wow, that was quick, thanks.
    I heard Ubuntu was pretty good and that was my original download intention however I felt I should ask people in the know first before messing around with something I know nothing about.

What are the main advantages you feel Linux has over OS X/Windows, apart from the cost.

EDIT-- I probably won't do the wipe-down/instalation myself but if I was to how would I go about it, download Linux, save to cd, wipe HDD, boot from CD?.
    If its too long an answer forget it, I can get an answer on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Get the Live CD, don't wipe your hard drive yet, boot from CD and give it a go.

The Live CD lets you boot the OS directly from the CD without installing anything. Make sure the laptop likes Ubuntu and that you do too. If you end up liking it then get the install CD, boot from the CD, format the HDD and let the Ubuntu CD partition itself automatically, then just let it install.

It's all fairly simple. The install CD does most of the work for you

Where do I get a live CD? Download and Burn?

EDIT--I'm on the Ubuntu site, I'll get one there I guess.

Steveland hit the nail on the head! THe link I gave you is the live cd.

I don't know how much you know so sorry if I say things you already know..

Linux uses a different filesystem to windows. This means you will loose all the information currently stored on your harddrive.

What are the main advantages you feel Linux has over OS X/Windows, apart from the cost.

Most people see Linux as free as in you don't have to pay for it. While this is true, many of the Linux users see the platform as free as in free speech. Its about openness of software code and communities working together to improve their distribution. I personally find this the best advantage that Linux has. The users are in control!

Linux is very configurable and Ubuntu is very user friendly. There are a wide range of excellent programs for it.

Its more secure than windows. Viruses aren't an issue (bar a couple! Compared to windows with ~30,000.)

Its not all roses though. Due to Linux being different to windows. Many programs you currently use will not work with it. Gaming is also superior on windows. This is not due to shortcomings from Linux rather the lack of attention it gets from gaming companies due to the small user base.

My advice, If you have nothing important on your harddrive, bite the bullet and install it, give it a proper test drive. The live CD will give you an indication of what it will be like but it will be much slower.

Check out Ubuntu with Compiz Fusion ( an add on for desktop effects)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-2ZUAZoGOQ&mode=related&search=

• Advertisement

Like I said I'm getting a new Laptop so I'm using this one (the old one) for linux meaning if everything goes A-wall on this computer I'm not pushed. I don't play games on my computer so thats not really a factor either. To be honest the only thing on my Linux will be some HTML files and some graphics.

In regards to networking, how is it? I'm setting up a home network here and I'd like to connect Linux to it, will that be a problem?

Check out Ubuntu with Compiz Fusion ( an add on for desktop effects)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-2ZU...elated&search=

Its...its buetiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Seachmall wrote:
    Like I said I'm getting a new Laptop so I'm using this one (the old one) for linux meaning if everything goes A-wall on this computer I'm not pushed. I don't play games on my computer so thats not really a factor either. To be honest the only thing on my Linux will be some HTML files and some graphics.

Good stuff. Note that if you do decide to install, you can do so directly from the live CD. I think there's a shortcut on the live CD desktop you can click to start the installation. Since you're not bothering to dual-boot with Windows, it should be very straightforward. Unless it's a dinosaur, 20-30 minutes is about all it takes.

Remember that running from the live CD is much slower than a real install. Use it as a guide to functionality and compatibility, not performance.
    Seachmall wrote:
    In regards to networking, how is it? I'm setting up a home network here and I'd like to connect Linux to it, will that be a problem?

For wired connections, you should have no problem. Just plug it in and it'll get the address from your router. Wireless depends on the chipset of the wireless card you have. Some work flawlessly, some are just a bit slow (mine runs at 11Mb instead of 54Mb), and some are more difficult.

If you have any trouble, just ask. Apart from here, you might also like to check out these two sites:
    http://ubuntuguide.org/
    http://ubuntuforums.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

It's quite easy to install( 15- 20 minutes) it this may help

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-Ubuntu-7-04-Windows-User-P-O-V-52973.shtml

Also this too is handy

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

BTW Mach OSX is based on UNIX which Linux is based on.

Thanks for the info and Links.

If I download it how do I install it? Do I have to copy to a bootable CD?
    Is there any difference between Gnome and KDE other than looks? Is that an option in Ubuntu?

Thanks again.

Download it and burn the iso to a cd. Restart your computer. It should load into ubuntu. If not check your bios and make sure it says boot from cd etc

Is there any difference between Gnome and KDE other than looks? Is that an option in Ubuntu?

The link I gave you is for Ubuntu which uses Gnome. You could also download Kubuntu which is the KDE version. Its really a matter of preference. Personally I prefer Gnome, its much less cluttered. Download the link I gave you and try Gnome if you want to experiment you can download KDE as well after the installation. When you login you will be able to select which desktop enviornment you want.

Steve

• Advertisement

Its too big to write to DVD so how can I download and install it without dividing my HardDrive?

Will I have to buy one from a distributor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Seachmall wrote:
    Its too big to write to DVD so how can I download and install it without dividing my HardDrive?

Will I have to buy one from a distributor?
    You may prefer the CD image seeing as most software you install using Ubuntu's software/package manager downloads will be downloaded from the Internet.

You don't actually burn the .iso file to a CD. You need to burn it as a bootable CD using an 'iso burner'. Are you currently running Windows on your current laptop? If so, you can install this add-on to XP to do just the job. Just right-click on the .iso file you downloaded and there's an option there to burn it to CD.

That did the job thanks. Although I noticed I wouldn't record to DVD, why not?
    Thanks again.

EDIT-- I tried booting from CD however it told me the Kernel image not found. Am I missing something, I've a feeling I doing this entirely the wrong way.

Seachmall wrote:
    Thanks for the info and Links.

If I download it how do I install it? Do I have to copy to a bootable CD?

Thanks again.
    That is like ask some one what is best car to drive everyone has their personal favorite. Gnome is the default on Ubuntu, but also got Kubuntu( KDE) and Xubuntu (Xfce) distros.

Seachmall wrote:
    That did the job thanks. Although I noticed I wouldn't record to DVD, why not?
    Thanks again.

EDIT-- I tried booting from CD however it told me the Kernel image not found. Am I missing something, I've a feeling I doing this entirely the wrong way.
    That DVD you tried to use didn't have anything on it, did it? ;)

I think that add-on is better at burning CDs. If you have Nero, it will have no problem burning an ISO DVD image.

The kernel image should be found. Did you try changing any settings in the screen that you get that counts down to 0 [see below]?

Boot.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

bushy... wrote:
    Debian releases are too rare! :D

Same thing for Ubuntu here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/install.exe/Prototype

My broadband was cutting out but telling me the download was finished. I had to run in to town and connect up in an internet cafe to download it. 5 minutes outside the 'information age town' and can't get decent broadband!

Seachmall wrote:
    My broadband was cutting out but telling me the download was finished. I had to run in to town and connect up in an internet cafe to download it. 5 minutes outside the 'information age town' and can't get decent broadband!
    You could try downloading a torrent. Sometimes the giant ISO file you download can be corrupted during the download. You can usually check the CD to make sure it isn't. Who is your ISP? Maybe there was high contention at the time. To help speed things up, pick an Irish mirror of the site so that you'll be downloading a file from an Irish server. Here's the link: http://ie.releases.ubuntu.com/feisty/ubuntu-7.04-desktop-i386.iso

I have it now, in fact I'm using it right now : ~).
    Its definetly the broadband, its been causing so much hassle we're switch though. Thank GOD, keep away from Digiweb!*.

Thanks anyway.

*This is my opinion and in no way represents the thoughts nor feelings of boards, boards.ie, its members** or any of its affiliate sites. But seriously, don't touch 'em.

**However it does represent the feelings of MOST of the members

• Advertisement

Another convert:D

Seachmall wrote:
    I have it now, in fact I'm using it right now : ~).
    Its definetly the broadband, its been causing so much hassle we're switch though. Thank GOD, keep away from Digiweb!*.

Thanks anyway.

*This is my opinion and in no way represents the thoughts nor feelings of boards, boards.ie, its members or any of its affiliate sites. But seriously, don't touch 'em.
    That's great. Enjoy a world of safer computing :D

So I'm not the only one whos had 'issues' with 'em? I'd love to hear your hate stories.
    Also I edited my original post appropriately.

Seachmall wrote:
    So I'm not the only one whos had 'issues' with 'em? I'd love to hear your hate stories.
    Also I edited my original post appropriately.
    * Didn't detect hardware -- had to wait for a new kernel release to support sound
    * Trying to install software from source and finding out your missing libraries that don't even turn up results in Google
    * Deleting my Windows partition even though I had set it up not too
    * The usual codec issues
    * Samba/networking issues

That's all that comes to mind right now. I still say it was worth it even if I still have to dual boot to transfer files to and backup my phone.

ethernet wrote:
    * Didn't detect hardware -- had to wait for a new kernel release to support sound
    * Trying to install software from source and finding out your missing libraries that don't even turn up results in Google
    * Deleting my Windows partition even though I had set it up not too
    * The usual codec issues
    * Samba/networking issues

That's all that comes to mind right now. I still say it was worth it even if I still have to dual boot to transfer files to and backup my phone.

Something got a bit lost there courtesy of the ghost of boards , are the bits above trouble you've had with linux in general or one version of it ?

bushy... wrote:
    Something got a bit lost there courtesy of the ghost of boards , are the bits above trouble you've had with linux in general or one version of it ?
    Wasn't using boards no where near as much when I started using Linux.

Had these problems with various distros but mainly SUSE, from SUSE 9.2 [paid €100 for it in PC World as it came in a fancy box and with support] up to openSUSE 10.2.

Couldn't connect to the Internet using dial-up. Just as well I was finally able to order DSL last October and now all's working just fine on that front.

Now running Ubuntu. I'm even using Gnome! Just one BIG problem -- it can't halt my PC! I have to hold down the power button. It's not as if I'm using unusual hardware either. I reported it on LaunchPad [Ubuntu's bug-tracker/translating booth/code submission area] and it was flagged as being of medium importance. Hope it's fixed in a new release as many distros are are failing to halt it.

I think thats one of the things with ubuntu , bit busy making it all shiny and forget about stuff. I suppose for now you could make an icon that links to a script that just does shutdown -h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Speaking of live CDs, I tried the latest knoppix dvd last night, which has an incredible amount of programs installed (well it bloody well better have for a 4 gig ISO!)... I think it's a nice way to sample what's on offer without making any commitments.

There is only one thing i don't link about ubuntu, by the time you figured out hwo get all your hardware working, a new versuon is out and you have to start all over again, that wahy I stillusing dapper, took a while to get most stuff working , but I pretty much happy with it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

That's something I've always wondered about Linux... what do people do in that situation? Just reformat and install fresh? Or is there ever an upgrade option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

You can often upgrade - particularly with Ubuntu and debian based distros :-)
    I usually install a new system in parallel with the old one - on a seperate partition so that if it's missing something I can just restart in my familiar
    environment, get the job done, and then add the feature to the new install.

Planning ahead can make this easy. Keep your /home directories on a seperate partition and you'll have few worries about upgrading or reinstalling. I've had basically the same /home directories since the late '90s.

I keep two system partitions, kind of like stable and beta, and swap between them if I want to upgrade. In the meantime, the space is there to try out other distros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Everyone's gone nuts about Ubuntu - and that's good as it gets people interested in Linux - but there are other distros.

For Example this months Linux Magazine has a full Fedora 7 install which is nice plus allows KDE desktop. I'm not a fan of Redhat or it's follow ups, I hate the way too much is hidden away and I found Ubuntu the same but Fedora 7 has some nice touches.

My personal favorite is Mandriva/Mandrake. The wizards and general behavior suits me better. Stuff is easier to find and it's more GUI orientated as opposed to Fedora/Ubunto which imo require too much prior knowledge of the system in order to do anything other than basic things. Fine if you only want a taste but no good if you like to configure things and tweak settings.

Mandrake has a central configuration panel where everything to configure your system can be found (much like control panel in windows or System preferences on Mac OS X)

I just cannot get used to Gnome at all, I dislike its screen top menu (despite being a Mac User !).

For a bit of interesting wardriving or network trickery you could also try the BackTrack 2 installation. Available as a live cd or a full installer.

ZEN

bushy, thanks for the suggestion but shutdown -h doesn't work :). Tried it soon after discovering the problem.

Speaking of Knoppix, I must say how impressed I was when I ran it live on a really low-spec PC. I'm talking about KDE on a 500 MHz processor with 192 MB shared RAM. Solid stuff. Regarding upgrades, it's always easier to do a clean install, as with Windows. Hate to leave all that junk just lurking in the background. niallb has a good point -- the Debian-based distros can be easier to update. It usually involves downloading every new package from a mirror. Needless to say, it can take a while. For all that effort, I prefer to see the fruit of the labour in the form of a freshly-burned CD! ;)

One think rubs me up about Fedora. Don't like how it suggests using LVM when installing. I can get over that but even worse is the package manager. If you're a novice and don't have an Internet connection, good luck. Little did I know that I needed to edit sources when I first used Fedora when I was starting out with Linux. I'd imagine a good few other people had the same problem.

Advertisement