Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223 Scope

Options
  • 07-07-2007 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good scope for a .223.
    Going to the states so i'll pick one up while i'm there.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

The best bet in the states to balance value and quality would be Leupold. The European brands tend to be more expensive over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭SpringerF

Nightforce NXS range is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

http://www.opticsplanet.net/zeiss-victory-diavari-6-24x72-riflescopes-30mm.html

maybe a bit overkill for a .223 but hey glass is the most important part of a rifle!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

This may be a good place to start. What will you be using the rifle for? Hunting day/low light? Target?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

johngalway wrote:
    This may be a good place to start. What will you be using the rifle for? Hunting day/low light? Target?

Basically a bit of everything that you've mentioned John.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

I'm probably a bit late with this post, I recently bought a .223 and have been mulling over scopes. I've been primarily interested in a scope for hunting both day and night but with a bit of power to it (for those 250 yard bunnies when the mood takes me).
    I came across this one as a medium price scope.
    http://www.millettsights.com/index.php/catalog_2007/tactical
    Review:
    http://www.snipercentral.com/milletttrs.htm
    The lowest price I found for it $273 + shipping:
    http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00131BK81001
    I liked the fact that the mil dots were very light so they wouldn't obscure the target and it has a NV light setting should I go down that road.
    I'm not a cheap skate as all my competition guns are topped with Leupold’s (I have four of them)
    I just have issues putting a big money scope on a vermin hunting gun.
    It got fairly good reviews and the shops in the US had trouble keeping them on the shelves. I'll have mine in by the end of next week. If you want to send me a PM I'll let you know what I think of it when it arrives. I know good glass and if it's poor I'll give you an honest answer. Millett say it's light transmission is 98% and the optical clarity is every bit as good as Leupold, I'll believe that when I see it :)
    Cheers,
    Slug

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

The best bet in the states to balance value and quality would be Leupold. The European brands tend to be more expensive over there.

i have to agree the leupold i just got 1 for my .223 and i think its every bit as good as the s&b.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Hey
    I'm pretty much the exact same position, except mine is a .22wmr and I'm thinking less than €100 (~$130).
    A standard 3-9x40 or x42 would be ideal I'd say.
    On a side note how do scopes compare to Binoculars. I have a pair of 10x42 Steiners and was just wondering what sort of image to expect from a similar scope ?

Thanks

EDIT: There was meant to be a question in there about what type of scope would be a good choice for that money, seems to have just come out as a statement though !!!
    I was thinking Hawke or Simmons etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Just got leupold 6.5 x 20 x 50 (25mm tube) for my 204, excellent piece of kit. 200 yard bunies no prob at 16 x mag in very low light !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Iv a Leaupold bought in the US on my .223. There beautiful but not cheap!! Source the supplier before you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

My .223 has a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 with the NP-R2 reticle, use it for foxing mostly and some other stuff ;) Not cheap but you do get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Philush

mines a bushnell 3 - 9 x 50eg,does the job fine for me

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SteveS

True, though there are some dealers with pretty good prices. I picked up a Meopta 3-12 X 56 that I like so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I use 8 x 56 s&b clear as crystal even at last light paid around eu 600 for it
    about 2 years ago no complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

foxhunter wrote:
    I use 8 x 56 s&b clear as crystal even at last light paid around eu 600 for it
    about 2 years ago no complaints

class scope for the money. best hunting scope imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I zeroed it when i bought it and i havent needed to touch it since
    I have an old bushnell on a .17 its about 5 yrs old and i couldnt fault that either its also fixed power .I figure the less moving parts the better not a lot to go wrong then.

I was looking at the Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II Rifle Scope for €135 exc. shipping, seems like a nice scope. Anyone here have any experience of the brand I haven't heard anyone mention it.
    The Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 3200 Rifle Scope comes in at the same price.
    The Burris offers a slightly greater eye relief (I wear glasses), but the exit pupil is a good .5mm smaller... so that means it gives poorer low light operation right ?
    I reckon you could still get upto 5x magnification in low light and get a 7mm image (Apperantly the eye pupils size at night).
    Now I know this is all in theory and the quality of the glass will effect it all , that's why I'm asking.

I suppose given that it's going on a .22mag what I'm really looking for is reliability and robustness, I want it to be able to take a few knock without re-zeroing and even take sitting in a safe without being used for the odd month !!

I just saw a similar scope for €165 with a free Etrex GPS.... wish I could be sure I'd get my rifle licence, I'd buy it straight up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

To Slug Chucker post #8 did you get the Millett scope and whats it like to use and the quality of it , I'm looking to buy a scope in that range and the price is about right
    Clive J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

boc121 wrote: »

i have this scope. its class. you'll have great fun with it. you need a picatinny rail to fit it though. if you want to see it in action ill be at midland range saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

Hi Clive,
    I've left a message in your PM
    Cheers
    Slug

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I put an AGS 6-24x50 red and green mil-dot on my 223,
    its a super scope for night shooting, you turn a dial forward ind the crosshair lights up green, futher clicks forward will dim it, click back and it goes red, better in my opinion for low light shooting. it comes with a sun deflector which makes a bit longer. I know of people using this for deer on 308s+
    very well built and designed and mine cost E450.
    By the way, AGS used to be Simmons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I put an AGS 6-24x50 red and green mil-dot on my 223,
    its a super scope for night shooting, you turn a dial forward ind the crosshair lights up green, futher clicks forward will dim it, click back and it goes red, better in my opinion for low light shooting. it comes with a sun deflector which makes a bit longer. I know of people using this for deer on 308s+
    very well built and designed and mine cost E450.
    By the way, AGS used to be Simmons

Had an AGS excellent optics

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

if your going to the states, take advantage of the exchange rate and get a schmitt and bender. im not not advocating being flathulach with dough but the rate is so good it might never be much better. and no shipping cost. youll save a packet over prices here.

Advertisement