Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Blocking HTTP Requests

Options
  • 07-07-2007 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

For the past 48 hours I have not been able to simply browse the web with my NTL broadband connection. I can use every other protocol under the sun, but when I open a browser and attempt a direct connection to the web (no proxy) the request just times out and I get nowhere.

Has any of you seen this happen before?

To post this message today I have created a SSH tunnel to a machine outside of my home network, where I have access to a private HTTP proxy in order to relay my HTTP requests. As you can see that works, so I'm able to browse, but I shouldn't have to do this.

My network gateway/router has a minimal firewall that is not filtering HTTP traffic, beyond that the individual machines on my home LAN run their own local firewalls. The configuration on those firewalls have not changed any time recently.

Any Ideas? I'm convinced that this is NTL because other people that I live with that share this connection and which I have no authority of their equipment are also experiencing the same problem.

The last thing I want to do is ring tech support in NTL and have to explain the problem. I imagine I will be bounced from person to person. At least here on this forum I know that people who are in the know will get to at least read this message.

Beyond that, don't get me stared on torrents. I gave up completely downloading them using this connection for the past few months now. Was gettng < 10Kbps, anything above that was considered fast (and yes NAT was working and configured correctly).

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement