Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobo

Options
  • 07-07-2007 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

right lads new to pc building but thought id give it a go...just wondering wat would be considered the best mobo around at the moment for around €200?? Main thing is want it quad core for future upgrading , looking at these at mo :

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/8Vke1eieIwJg_6/1/articledetail.jsp?aid=9240&agid=659

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=329099

my main thing is i want it to be future proof/upgradeable as much as possible.. so would you wait another while for Intel X38 chipset, quad core and DDR3 ram to come mainstream etc??Or any of you guys got spare mobo lying around for sale? ;) Have budget of €2k for everything..Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Buy a P35 board if you don't need SLi. It's about as "futureproof" as you can get. Quadcore isn't futureproof. Buy a cheap dual core now and upgrade to quad core at christmas, unless you do heavy amounts of video editing, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Just as a side note, most of the newer 680i boards should support Penryn chips. So if you want SLI now and Penryn later, stick with 680i.

If you want Penryn AND DD3 later, go with P35 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭pedroj

well wat would you guys suggest?? anythin in 200 price bracket suits me...also why would work better 2 average cards in sli....or 1 extreme card say the nvidia 8800gtx by self??

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

I'd go with a P35 board, Abit IP35 Pro or maybe wait for Asus' and DFI's new offerings. DDR3 won't be mainstream for quite some time so I wouldn't even think about it at the moment, I doubt it will be considered mainstream this time next year. Go single GPU an 8800GTX would do nicely, SLI 8800GTS doesn't make sense right off the bat. With a 2k budget you've got some nice room to manoeuvre, that's always a good thing. I'd definately say go quad core after the upcoming Intel price cuts, the pricing is going to be just too close to C2D's to not really, that's if you have capable cooling of course.

Advertisement