Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Becoming a wrestler.

• 07-07-2007 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Well I have decided I want to persue a career in pro wrestling, the problem is I'm not sure of where to start.

My plan is to go to America when I'm 21(3 years from now) and take my (proposed) wrestling career to the next level.

Has anyone got any advice on where to start. I was in contact with IWW training centre, is it any good, does anyone know.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

if I wanted to become a professional wrestler I would go here:

http://academy.stormwrestling.com/index1.html

Ok its far away but if your planning on getting trained properly and your already thinking of going to the States I would go there to learn my trade the right way. And while I was saving up here I would hit the gym like a mad man to get superfit and a good body. In the meantime I would also take acting/ public speaking lessons and enroll in a jiu-jitsu or amateur wrestling class (if you could find one!) here to get a feel for grappling and a grounding.

TBH I wouldn`t ever bother with trying to get trained in Ireland. I mean you have to look at who would be teaching you and what they have achieved. Ok its fine being a star in IWW or somewhere minor league like that, but if you want to be trained you want it to be by someone with a track record.

Well I would anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Gym now and get as fit as as big as you can. Without steroids, its bad news. Apply for a spot in one of the better wrestling schools in the states/Canada and start saving now. You can get a canadian visa much easier than a US one and the exchange rate is great for there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I'm able to get entry into the US. I live there from 1990 to 1996. I don't know if I automatically can get into the US but apparently I could find it easy enough.

But thankyou that is very good advice. This might seem a dumb question, but what size would I be looking at, to be a Paul London or Brian Danielson(I know it's spelt with a y)

Theres no standard size really but you should be as fit as possible and get as well built as you can naturally. Take up something like Ju Jitsu or Judo and get used to having the ****e knocked out of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

woooo232 wrote:
    TBH I wouldn`t ever bother with trying to get trained in Ireland. I mean you have to look at who would be teaching you and what they have achieved. Ok its fine being a star in IWW or somewhere minor league like that, but if you want to be trained you want it to be by someone with a track record.

Well I would anyway!

IWW does get wrestlers with a track record every couple of months. I would think taking bumps would be the main skill to get used to if you want to be a wrestler. No use doing amateur wrestling and jiu-jitsu and then finding out later on that you can't stick the wear and tear of taking bumps.

• Advertisement

IWW does get wrestlers with a track record every couple of months. I would think taking bumps would be the main skill to get used to if you want to be a wrestler. No use doing amateur wrestling and jiu-jitsu and then finding out later on that you can't stick the wear and tear of taking bumps.

True... but in between those track record wrestlers who are you being trained by? If it was me I would prefer to learn how to take bumps properly from somebody who I was sure knew what they were doing than to learn it wrong and then have to try and adapt at a later stage. I was listening to an interview with Bubba Ray Dudley a couple a months ago and himself and D-von have also opened up a school in Florida. Anyway Bubba was saying that the biggest problem they face is re-educating guys who haven`t been thought how to bump properly by ppl with no track record in the business.

Incidentally the 3D Academy might be another good school to go to as well.

http://www.team3dacademy.com/

And I would definitely think that a grounding in Jiu-Jitsu or amateur wrestling would be a great advantage. They are both very tough sports and I would assume that if you could hack either of them then you are most likely going to ba able to take bumps too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I've been planning (in the far reaches of the back of my mind), that when I have my degree and all that, to go to OVW and try and get trained there and maybe try for a WWE developmental contract or go to one of the schools like Harley Race's or Killer Kowalski's. One of my biggest puoffs is that i'm only 5"10 and really in WWE you would want to be about 6"2, unless WWE change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

From watching and reading interviews with wrestlers and trainers, I think the most important thing when you're starting out is to learn the basic psychology. I'm not going to claim to be an expert on learning to wrestle, but from what I know the bumps should be relatively easy to learn, I'm not sure why Bubba Ray would be so concerned about that. It's the knowing of what you're actually doing in the ring that's the important thing to learn

I'm sure there's some great schools in America, but I wouldn't knock the Irish promotions so quick. I can't claim to know a whole load about NWA or CPW, but from having talked to some IWW guys they do seem to understand the importance of the psychology over the actual bumps and moves. They've had some very well respected wrestlers on their shows and their wrestlers have wrestled abroad, so I'm sure there's got to be some level of talent there

What I'd suggest is have a look at some of the "Secrets of the Ring" series that ROH have released. They've done interviews with the likes of Raven, Al Snow and Jim Cornette about how to make it in the wrestling business basically. Get an idea of what it is you should be learning and then have a look at the Irish promotions. If you don't feel like they'll teach you what some of the most respected guys in wrestling say is important, then hold off til you're 21. But if you think any of the Irish promotions are going along the right lines I would say sign up and give them a shot for a few years

Don't forget that there were about 10 European wrestlers signed by WWE not so long ago. If you're good enough you can make it without going to America first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Misread it sorry, do some research find out what a good school costs and start saving hard. If you are going to go to America do it right there are plenty in the wrestling business looking to make money. Dont get suckered join a legit school even if it costs alittle more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Minto wrote:
    I've been planning (in the far reaches of the back of my mind), that when I have my degree and all that, to go to OVW and try and get trained there and maybe try for a WWE developmental contract or go to one of the schools like Harley Race's or Killer Kowalski's. One of my biggest puoffs is that i'm only 5"10 and really in WWE you would want to be about 6"2, unless WWE change.

Im hoping to do the same as you buddy.As of right now I cant decide on whether I want to do MMA or wrestling.
    Im just as tall as you but I sincerly hope by that time WWE change there outlook on smaller wrestlers and elevate them just as much as they do the bigger guy.If guys like Chris benoit and Mysterio are shorter than us and reached the top of the ladder,its must be possible for guys our size to be able to do the same

• Advertisement

I'm 5''8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

fatal wrote:
    .If guys like Chris benoit and Mysterio are shorter than us and reached the top of the ladder

At what cost? I know I wouldn't pay it. Good luck to anyone that is.

And just in case no one was keeping score. On the week the media had WWE on the spot light over drug abuse, and specifically steroid use, who was featured and pushed prominently on Raw? Bobby Lashley. Todd Martin summed it up well:

Aside from people outside the business, it sends a clear message to people inside the business as well. No matter how much bad publicity WWE received in the past week, Vince McMahon is as wedded to physiques as ever before, even if it means pushing mediocre wrestlers who can’t talk and have very little charisma. Even if Vince gives the roster a pep talk about how they are serious about cutting down on drugs, how can you possibly take him seriously when the featured performer on the first show since all this broke is the most jacked up guy on the entire roster?

You could always make a great living in Japan or Mexico if you were good enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Fozzy wrote:
    Yeah, you might not be as famous, but if you love the sport, staying clear of WWE, and maybe even all of America would be advisable.

At what cost? I know I wouldn't pay it. Good luck to anyone that is.

And just in case no one was keeping score. On the week the media had WWE on the spot light over drug abuse, and specifically steroid use, who was featured and pushed prominently on Raw? Bobby Lashley. Todd Martin summed it up well:

Aside from people outside the business, it sends a clear message to people inside the business as well. No matter how much bad publicity WWE received in the past week, Vince McMahon is as wedded to physiques as ever before, even if it means pushing mediocre wrestlers who can’t talk and have very little charisma. Even if Vince gives the roster a pep talk about how they are serious about cutting down on drugs, how can you possibly take him seriously when the featured performer on the first show since all this broke is the most jacked up guy on the entire roster?

I was using those two as just examples of small wrestlers that have made itto the big time-nothing else.If people want to take the same road that they and so many others (that didn't make it near the top) took,thats there choice and good luck to them....they are going to need it

I read that article and it really did sum up WWE.I was half expecting that on RAW and smackdown this week they would give a half opportunity to smaller wrestlers since WWE and steroids are under the spotlight.
    Maybe (like we said so many times) when another tragedy occurs,they may look to make changes :rolleyes:
    Fozzy wrote:

You certainly could.Its a shame that whenever you mention pro wrestling to people,9.99 times out of 10 the first thing to come out of their mouths will be "WWE" and then a "huh?" when other great promotions in countries like Japan and Mexico where talent is the main focus are mentioned

I think if that is the reaction of someone who wants to be a wrestler it's because they are not going to change their lifestyle completely, like it's just not feasible, if you get me?

I would consider Japan, but America is my prefered destination.

I don't think I would consider WWE, if I was lucky to reach that far. My way would just be to work many indy shows, I hear you can make a decent living that way.

I think if that is the reaction of someone who wants to be a wrestler it's because they are not going to change their lifestyle completely, like it's just not feasible, if you get me?

I would consider Japan, but America is my prefered destination.

I don't think I would consider WWE, if I was lucky to reach that far. My way would just be to work many indy shows, I hear you can make a decent living that way.

Dude if it was me, I would think what is the point of going to America to be a pro wrestler and not wanting to be in the WWE? Sure if you wanna work indys why bother travelling at all? Just stay here and work for IWW or whomever!

I don`t think you can make that much money in the states on indys unless you are a name from WWE or to a lesser extent TNA or ROH

woooo232 wrote:
    Dude if it was me, I would think what is the point of going to America to be a pro wrestler and not wanting to be in the WWE? Sure if you wanna work indys why bother travelling at all? Just stay here and work for IWW or whomever!

I don`t think you can make that much money in the states on indys unless you are a name from WWE or to a lesser extent TNA or ROH

There's a big difference between working for IWW and the top American indys. Top American indy stars can make a comfortable living from wrestling, that would obviously be a little hard to do here. You could wrestle practically every night if you were good enough and you wanted to in America. That's not possible here

You'd have a much better chance of becoming a name in WWE, TNA or ROH if you were wrestling in America anyway I would think. The thread I just started on Fergal Devitt is probably relevant here, he's fast becoming a star

Fozzy wrote:
    Top American indy stars can make a comfortable living from wrestling/QUOTE]

How many of them are there? The wrestling business is way more compact than it was 30 years ago. Even in Japan, its nowhere what it once was.

I feel the need to be the bad guy in this thread . I don't want to stamp on anybody's dreams. Its just, I feel there is an innocence bordering on delusion in some of the comments in this thread.

No one has yet used the word hard work. No one has yet used to the word sacrifice. No one has yet used the phrase "no guarantees".

Instead people are talking about going over to America and not even considering working for the biggest company their. Not even considering? It may sound hard but ultimately theres a ring of truth in what Gorilla Monsoon said in that "Anybody who is not in the business for money is a fool".

Instead people are talking about heading over to OVW as if it was some McDonalds assembly line that they'll just let you jump on and you'll pop out as Triple H.

I'm being a bit of an ass hole here I know that. I just think people should think fully about it, especially after the year wrestling has had and then if you still want it, then go balls to the wall. I'd go with Lance Storms school too.

Fozzy wrote:
    Top American indy stars can make a comfortable living from wrestling

How many of them are there?

More than there are in Ireland, that's the only point I was trying to make there

Of course it would take an enormous amount of hard work, I think that's fairly well documented. My feelings are that if someone hoping to be a wrestler doesn't already understand that, then they've got problems bigger than I can help them out with!

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote:
    More than there are in Ireland, that's the only point I was trying to make there

Of course it would take an enormous amount of hard work, I think that's fairly well documented. My feelings are that if someone hoping to be a wrestler doesn't already understand that, then they've got problems bigger than I can help them out with!

I don't think hard work is documented enough. I pay 7 dollars a month to listen to Buddy Wayne give me a headache(a former wrestler now trainer) on figure four go on and on about guys having literally no idea what it takes.

To be honest I have no idea what it takes.

The only think I can grasp from listening and reading about people who have succeeded, who don't look like Lex Luger, is that it takes ALOT of hard work and you really must deep down in your core love wrestling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 roma12

woooo232 wrote:
    At least if you work the indy scene in America there's a chance you'll actually get paid though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭kentonbomb

I Plan on Getting in to I.W.W right now, if WWE actually do scout me, atleast i will be happy that they heard something good about me, not just taking me because i was in their school, i will be in RQW, LDN and IWW at the same time, so i would actually like to make a career in japan.

Good Luck on Making a Career

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Lets be realistic - you can still do all the training in the world, you could be the most dedicated, etc - you still might not get picked.

Dont forget wrestling is a cruel business - you can sweat for years and not get anywhere - let alone make it to OVW/WWE.

The prime example being S.O.S - he got called up because he has the look that WWE are always wanting - big, strong looking guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Ph3n0m wrote:
    The prime example being S.O.S - he got called up because he has the look that WWE are always wanting - big, strong looking guys

Same with Pierre Marceaux, he got called up for that UK TV taping at the same time as SOS and hadn't been with IWW in about half the time SOS was.

To SOS's credit, he did get a couple of tryouts with IWW when they had come over previously while he was still with IWW. So it wasn't like they saw him a week before the taping and said "Yeah, we'll take him". IWW had put the word out about him a year or two before then.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

to the two guys worried about their height at 5'10 and 5'8 respectively.

The WWE have the shortest roster they have had in years. Just look at how short the guys on Raw are for a start, John Cena has been champ for the best part of 2 years and he is 6'1. The likes of Shawn Michaels, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Bret Hart are all under 6ft and they made it in the WWE.

After you remove Dalip Singh, Kane, Taker and Viscera from the WWE i don't think there is anyone else over 6'4 in the WWE.

Yeah but height isnt a factor right now.

Right now its the hard work to become a wrestler, then its the hard work to get noticed, then its the hard work to get noticed by WWE, and then its the hard work to get into OVW to train up and finally its the hard work to get renoticed by WWE and get called up to the big leagues.

Then and only then, might someone find out that height is a factor. But then again maybe WWE will change their policy again and look for actual talent instead of punds of beef on legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Go to your local judo school. You'll learn how to breakfall and how to throw properly. That's why little guys like Taz were so good at suplexes and throws.. Learned how to manipulate body-weight, kuzushi and so forth from judo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

If I were you, I would at least take a few sessions with either IWW or NWA-I before spending thousands heading to the US or Canada or wherever.

You don't want to fly over there and on your second day realise you physically can't flip bump or whatever. So, my advice would be to get a bit of training over here first and see if you have a knack for wrestling, and decide if its worth pursuing and spending thousands on (and training abroad will cost thousands).

• Advertisement

If I were you, I would at least take a few sessions with either IWW or NWA-I before spending thousands heading to the US or Canada or wherever.

You don't want to fly over there and on your second day realise you physically can't flip bump or whatever. So, my advice would be to get a bit of training over here first and see if you have a knack for wrestling, and decide if its worth pursuing and spending thousands on (and training abroad will cost thousands).

Good advice. try it out here for a few months. What age are you?

I agree.....
    That should be what anyone that wants to pursue a wrestling(or any other sports) career should try and do if they can before forking out big money only to realise that it is not what you expected it to be like

Thanks everybody for the advice. Good luck anyone like me who wants to persue a career in wrestling as well.

Advertisement