Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed removing plasterboard

Options
  • 07-07-2007 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi,

We moved into a house a while ago and I've decided to do up a bedroom. First plan was to strip the wallpaper and maybe paint over (or get it skimmed if needed).
    To my horrror the walls turned out to be in a very sad state. There is also an issue with very poor sound insulation between us and the neighbours. I want to get it right so I decided that the plasterboard would have to go. I intended putting up new plasterboard and filling the gap between the wall and the plasterboard with rockwool.
    When I removed a bit of the plasterboard I found that it was put up with cement instead of batons. The cement is VERY hard to remove and there's a lot of it.. I really could do with some advice on how to approach this. Do I have to remove all the cement? If so, how would I do it? Or is there another way of approaching it?

Any advice is very very welcome as I'm stuck!!

I've attached some pics of the wall.

Thanks

Anto

Comments

More a DIY query! but.

If sound proofing, best to build a stud partition a few mm from the existing wall part fill with sound-dedening material (can't think of brand name) and fit new plasterboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adam anto

Very true.. Will post in a diy forum, sorry!!

Thanks for the advice on the soundproofing. That seems like a good system. I'll look into it..

Anto

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Adam anto wrote:
    Very true.. Will post in a diy forum, sorry!!

Thanks for the advice on the soundproofing. That seems like a good system. I'll look into it..

Anto

Anto,

You don't need to start another thread as I've moved this to DIY.

I'm impressed.. Thank you..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Adam anto wrote:
    I'm impressed.. Thank you..

We're gooood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

If sound proofing, best to build a stud partition a few mm from the existing wall part fill with sound-dedening material (can't think of brand name) and fit new plasterboards.

Yep definitively the way to go, you could use inch and a quarter square batton and put in a double row of bridging. Screw it to the floor and ceiling and fix it to existing wall as well.
    Aero-Board between the studs will help to sound proof. And if you use a half-inch slab, and turn the white side out you could tape the joints and paint over etc...
    You'll loose a bit off the room, but won't be much...
    Good luck with the job...:)

Do you mean to put this wall on the existing plasterboard wall?

Thanks

Adam anto wrote:
    Do you mean to put this wall on the existing plasterboard wall?

Thanks
    No, the new wall should not be in direct contact with the party wall, you are trying to reduce impact sounds which are transmitted by direct contact with the wall. The insulation should be like rockwool not solid like aeroboard as this will conduct sound.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

get a small gigger - you can buy them in argos for about 120euro and get the insurance and if it breaks within 2 years replace it for free.

anyhow with this - use the flat chisel bit - and go at the side of the old plaster and it will come off very easy.
    then get new boards - insulated if needed and re-dab onto the wall.

very easy to do. and very quick.

get someone to skim or just seal up the joints yourself.
    Main trick is to get the wall fully flat when sticking the plasterboard up - by means of a long straight edge and keep all the boards nice and even.

sound insulation - not sure if insulated pb would help sound - I'm sure it would - it would be a lot quicker than battons and rockwool.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You could do as the guys say above, but put up 2 layers of plasterboard offset the joins in the 2 layers of plaster board by 1/2 the width of the board...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

or get SoundBloc (or equivalent) its thicker than normal plasterboard and has sound proofing qualities.
    Batons will make it much easier to get level than trying to balance out your plaster dabs, especially if you are new to it.

Thanks so much for the advice. I think I've decided to put new batons in a couple of mm form the existing plasterboard wall. Then fill the gaps with rockwool and plasterboard over it.

Thanks again for all the advice!!

Advertisement