Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argentina

• 07-07-2007 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Has anyone being boarding/skiing in Argentina? I'm heading over to South America for the summer and would love to get a few days in on the hills. Does anyone have any resort recollections?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭james1234

Hi JayBay

Been to Argentina last year, not specifically for skiing but managed to get in one day's worth up in Los Penitentes, a couple of hours from Mendoza. There are many other resorts, but that was the closest to Mendoza, and you can just about manage a day trip, there and back from the city, many ski shops in Mendoza organise day trips or longer, and sort you out with everything you need. It's quite small, only about 15 runs in total. Got a few ok red runs. The biggest resort in S.America is Las Lenas, it's further south than Mendoza, but worth it if you're planning on spending a good few days skiing. Might not be up to the same standard as many European resorts, oh, and prices aren't that much cheaper than Europe for that matter either, approx €25-30 per day for youer skipass... Here's a website about Las Lenas, http://www.laslenasvacations.com/flash.html. The best time to go skiing there would be June-August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Hi there, I am argentinian myself. Las Lenas would be the posh place to go.
    I would suggest Catedral in Bariloche.
    As James said, it is not cheaper than here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I heard that Argentina was a great place to do a season because it was cheap with great snow... is it just the ski lifts that are expensive or is everything the same has here.

Gzoladz. Seeing as your a local, it would be great if you could let us all know whats its like to do a season in Argentina or if you have any tips or anything to recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Static, TBH I started skiing in Europe as locals can not afford to ski in Argentina (with exception of the wealthier ones).
    But if I were to go now I would heat to Bariloche (Cerro Catedral). People that did ski there say it is the best place to go.
    Las Le#as is good as well, but too much a "see and to be seen" place. Hence, it is more expensive as they try to keep it restrictive.
    Hotels will be at very good standards and slightly cheaper than in Europe.
    Unfortunately I can't help much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thanks anyway gzoladz.

Appreciate it. Its such a pity that the locals can't make use of their own mountains..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

I've heard Ushuaia, Argentina is supposed to have a some great snow. But may be a bit more on the quiet side.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Neo Researcher

Spent 5 weeks boarding in Bariloche last year. Would higly recomend it. Stay in Bariloche town tough and get the first bus in the morning that goes straight to the Cathederal. Much cheaper then and better craic in the town. Would highly recomend staying in the hostel below 42 (or something along those lines). the owner is an avid snowboarder and most of the people who stay there board so there is a good athmosphere. When I was there the mountain was closed once as it was snowing too much! The morning it was opened after the whole hostel was getting up together at the crack of dawn and there was savage athmosphere knowing the powder that awaited. Owner will show you some of the best of piste you are likely to find anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sharelga

I skied in Los Penitentes 2 years ago, a couple of hours from Mendoza. Very Small resort with Zero Apre Ski, Stayed in the only Hostel it was nice but those few days no other English speakers.

I would go to another resort and with an organised group of back packers from Mendoza if you have the time.

Advertisement