Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Screeching / smoking tires - serious damage?

Options
  • 07-07-2007 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

OK, here goes!

I'm still learning to drive and am quite confident in most cars i've been in - but i'd to drive a Opel Corsa for a friend today, and i was told the clutch was tricky (i didn't like the car - as the gearstick wasn't set into a base, it was very loose which i found difficult and also the handbrake was level when it was up, and sunk into the base when it was down - all a bit different for me, and confusing!). Was grand driving it until i'd to stop at lights and for some reason, it'd conk out when i'd start.

So i may have applied to much gas and the tires screeches a couple of times - first time it's h appened so was a bit scary to say the least. And when i got out, some smoke was coming from the tires was a minute or two. i realised the handbrake may have down for a short time. But i drove it fine after that.

Should i bring it to be checked? I'd feel extremely guilty if something happened him or the car because of this. I know very little about the internals of cars so any explanation as to why this would have happened would be appreciated.

PS - i'd presume here is more suitable than learning to drive
    PPS - actually just the one tire was smoking which i think i remember the last time it was checked, they told him that the tire was a bit worn and to be careful of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Sounds like the clutch is on its way out you were over reving to compensate for the high biting point and when the cluch got its bite the revs were high so a wheelspin encurs. as for the smoking tyres simply friction from the road and tyres spinning.

Welcome To Boards.ie;)

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 johnoneill

Cheers for that volvoboy - that takes a load off my mind!

It'd be odd if the clutch was on it's way out as it passed it's NCT a few weeks back. Think it's just more of a fussy clutch than i'm used to!

The one wheel that was smoking was the one that whoever did the NCT check said to keep an eye on as it was a bit worn (but passed it regardless as far as i know so obviously tire wasn't in dire nick).

I drove it fine after all this happened so there didn't seem to be an obvious problem - with regards to either tires or the brakes so i assume it's a false alarm. Will say it to him regardless when i see him next.

Many thanks again for the response.

PS - if anyone else has any opinions / views, coin 'em in!

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

It'd be odd if the clutch was on it's way out as it passed it's NCT a few weeks back.

Clutch is not part of the NCT, though cutch pedal position is afaik. They only check the car is solid and roadworthy, Clutch is a mechanical device in the car and can be totally shot and would not be a direct cause of a failure, it may cause an indirect fail though if it could not turn the wheels for the brake test or something.

Advertisement