Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

worst car name ever has been surpassed

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Daihatsu.. Rocky
    AMC.. Gremlin
    Toyota.. Stout
    Daihatsu.. Rugger
    Honda.. Acty Crawler
    Mitsubishi.. Guts
    Nissan.. Big Thumb
    Mitsubishi.. Mini Active Urban Sandal
    Isuzu.. Mysterious Utility Wizard:confused:
    Mazda.. Scrum
    Isuzu.. Giga 20 Light dump:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

What about the Skoda Rapid? not so much the name but the name in relation to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Another couple of pages and every car ever made will be here. People really lose the run of themselves with these things. I mean if the likes of Ferrari and Lamborghini (sp?) werent held in such high regard then pretty much every car they release would be onthis list. If Skoda had brought out a car called the murchielago (sp?) it would be ridiculed as a stupid name.

It'd most likely have a huge boot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

What about the Skoda Rapid? not so much the name but the name in relation to the car.

Yeah, like the Skoda Superb ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

OKenora wrote:
    Vauxhall Nova, well it's terrible if you are Spanish as Nova mean "won't go" more or less. then again in english it means something that looks great but blows up......

And I once heard that Mitsubishi had to name their Pajero jeep something different in Spain, as the word Pajero (pa-heh-roh) comes close to the Spanish for a self-loving-in-his-pants man (you know the word!) ;)

Seanie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I think that alpha-numerical names are just playing it safe. Alot of Manufacturers do it now days: Alfa, Audi, BMW, Merc, Peugeot, Citroen, Mazda to name but a few.

I always thought BMW's numbering system was clever, first the Model classification, (e.g. 3 for 3-Series) and then the engine size, (e.g. 18 for 1.8Litre) and then stick in a D for diesel or a C for coupe.

But now days they have lost track of that, so naming a 2.2 Litre 5 series a 520 or a 525 or whatever it is now, seems a bit dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

But now days they have lost track of that, so naming a 2.2 Litre 5 series a 520 or a 525 or whatever it is now, seems a bit dumb.

They've done that for years, 318's didn't always have 1.8 engines for an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

OKenora wrote:
    They've done that for years, 318's didn't always have 1.8 engines for an example.

I know, but I am right in saying that is how it was originally, or am i wrong?

Either way, it is a bit silly, why not call the 2.0L the 320 and a 2.2L the 322 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

prospect wrote:
    I know, but I am right in saying that is how it was originally, or am i wrong?

Either way, it is a bit silly, why not call the 2.0L the 320 and a 2.2L the 322 etc.

the 316 and 318 have the same engine, a 1.9 litre:confused: . They are chipped diferently so they can charge more for the 318.

it also keeps the cars to a sort of convention, ie the replacement for a 325 is a 325, but with a different size engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Suzuki Liana, Liana is an acronym, anyone care to decipher it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

blastman wrote:
    Toyota Cedric

Wins it for me I'm afraid. Followed closely by the VW Bora.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

alias no.9 wrote:

Life in a new age :D

peasant wrote:
    Life in a new age :D

Congratulations, you win a suzuki liana. The next person to get it right gets two ;)

Wins it for me I'm afraid. Followed closely by the VW Bora.

Bora eh? Where does the masarati bora feature?
    800px-Bora.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

'Masarati Bora' isn't as bad as 'VW Bora' IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I saw a Daihatsu Rugger recently - and if "Rugger" wasn't bad enough, all it said on the back was "Turbo Wagon Resin Top".

Other Japanese disasters:
    Toyota Corolla II Super Windy Exciting Version
    Autozam Revue (Mazda 121)
    Daihatsu Opti Aerodown Beex
    Nissan Laurel and Cedric (not a Toyota)
    Nissan Prairie
    Nissan March Pumps!
    Honda That's
    Honda Mobilio Spike
    Honda Beat, subtitled "Midship Amusement"
    Honda Life Step Van
    Daihatsu Fellow Max
    Mazda Scrum
    Toyota Liteace Noah

Hyundai are pretty dodge as well, with their Trajet which is supposed to be pronounced "tra-jay" and their Accent which is supposed to be "ascent".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

In terms of sticking to alphanumerics, Toyota had to call the MR2 the M2 in France.

Anyone who can speak French, think about it.

Hyundai Trajet, I have always referred to Hyundai Tragic.

The car for a man who has had to compromise and get an MPV because he has had kids and also can only afford to get a Hyundai one. They should come with stickers which say "I have no idea about cars whatsoever" although I suppose that is fairly obvious by the fact they are driving a Hyundai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Nissan Figaro... crap name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

ned78 wrote:
    If you took the time to read my post, you'd see that I agreed with you on figures, and even referenced the SIMI. I'm talking about the brand failing as a Marketing excersise, with the proof that they rebranded to Chevy in 2005, in the European market. So they very much did flop, in terms of a brand, as an identity.

Actually I did read your post. And I will repeat myself as you didn't read mine. They did not flop as a barnd here. Which is what you said. I pointed out they were very successful. The SIMI figures prove that.

The brand didn't fail or flop here. It was a success. It was "killed" by events beyond the importers control. The huge economic events in Korea brought a number of large companies to their knees. Daewoo being one of the largest "Chaebol" (with a lot of European interests) was the focus of the Buisness/media attention. That and the fact that a most of the European Importers were Daughter companies of Daewoo Motor Korea led to the ultimate near death of the brand with constant press about financial troubles. Said same issues killed off Rover too.

To take your point about Marketing etc. That would refer to the rebuilding of the brand after it near being killed off post its rather successful non flopping launch. Sadly consumer confidence is a bitch to get back once it has been destroyed. Perrier water is a fine example as well as that infamous Jewlery chain that went busto in the UK after some choice words from the CEO refered to their products as "crap"

The dropping of the Daewoo name for Chevrolet btw was part of GM's plan for central europe as the Daewo name was associated with every thing from Hoovers to TV's and as such the Chevrolet brand was car only and provided GM with a new budget brand allowing Opel to aim for a higher segment with Saab being thier more high end. Given thier Central european sales I'd say they be doing good too. But I suppose you are right in saying it is really a marketing excersise.

They are still Daewoo in Korea though. Possibly some other Asian countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Hyundai Trajet, I have always referred to Hyundai Tragic.

The car for a man who has had to compromise and get an MPV because he has had kids and also can only afford to get a Hyundai one. They should come with stickers which say "I have no idea about cars whatsoever" although I suppose that is fairly obvious by the fact they are driving a Hyundai.
    I always thought it was a shame there wasn't an 'E' model of it, like the Carina E....

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Saw a Chevy Alero yesterday, it looked as bad as it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

alias no.9 wrote:
    I was thinking anagram. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nearly forgot the BMW 318 TDS. It was indeed tedious.

Lancia Y10, later christwened "White Hen"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Actually I did read your post. And I will repeat myself as you didn't read mine. They did not flop as a barnd here. Which is what you said. I pointed out they were very successful. The SIMI figures prove that.

PMSL, yes, for the second time now let me say "I agree with you on the figures and the SIMI figures".
    The brand didn't fail or flop here.

As an identity, it did.
    To take your point about Marketing etc. That would refer to the rebuilding of the brand after it near being killed off post its rather successful non flopping launch.

There was no rebuilding of confidence to be done. To the type of person a Daewoo would appeal to, the cars were cheap and cheerful. But the car names, and the brand's identity, and even their advertising as another poster mentioned, were just wishy-washy. GM recognised this. I'm nearly certain if I have a look around the garage, we have a trade magazine from around the time that says the same thing.
    The dropping of the Daewoo name for Chevrolet btw was part of GM's plan for central europe as the Daewo name was associated with every thing from Hoovers to TV's and as such the Chevrolet brand was car only and provided GM with a new budget brand allowing Opel to aim for a higher segment with Saab being thier more high end.

Precisely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Now that MG is chinese owned, it is now called Magnificent Gentleman or something like that..

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Ceb

Honda Joy Machine
    Honda Fit
    Toyota Deli-Boy
    Reliant Robin
    G-Wiz

and on another note one of the coolest names asides dodge viper is Toyota Matrix

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement