Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggie Runners

Options
  • 07-07-2007 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi. Does anyone know if there's any nike/adidas runners that are vegetarian? I know that there are many websites such as vegetarian-shoes.co.uk that offer veggie runners but i don't really like the look of them. I heard somewhere before that some nike runners are 100% synthetic, can anyone confirm that? And if so what models?

On a completely unrelated note, do Dublin chippers fry their chips in vegtable oil or animal fat/oils?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Inglorious wrote:
    On a completely unrelated note, do Dublin chippers fry their chips in vegtable oil or animal fat/oils?

This was discussed here before, but I don't think there was any definitive conclusion.

There are probably too many small chippers around to generalise, although I would imagine that a lot of the Italian chippers will use similar setups, for example. Regardless of what oil they use, I think there is usually going to be cross-contamination so to speak, from other more meaty stuff. Oops I've just generalised. Oh well :rolleyes:

As for the chains, I think all of them will use vegetable oil.

However, in BK and MacDs, they will likely use a lot of semi-hydrogenated oil which is quite bad for you, but they won't cook anything else in that oil.

In Supermacs, they will use better oil for cooking, but I think it's possible that they may cook other stuff in it occasionally. Not sure about this.

Abrakebabra - :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I know Converse are vegetarian-friendly; apart from the infamous canvas shoe, they do an extensive range of runners also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

There's a company called MacBeth that do vegan runners/shoes I have a pair and am very happy with them. got them on www.veganessentials.com but i don't think the pair i got is still there. cost around €70 inc postage

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Best bet is to look at the shoe and the smbols on it, and see what it is made from. If you are set on Nike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

percisely as Tar.Aldarion said. look at the symbols. i was talking to a shoe salesperson and they said they have to display when a shoe contains leather. the animal skin outline is the one to avoid. you want the textile/other symbols (a diamond/ wavey lines). i can't find an image for you on the net.

for anyone looking for any runners, cheap places like penneys are almost guarenteed to only have non-leather runners. just check the label.

• Advertisement
Advertisement