Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts at UCD

Options
  • 07-07-2007 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Ok , next year I’m doing the leaving cert . But I was wondering about if I done the arts course and done psychology in my first year . And got a very good grade would I be in with a chance of getting a place on the course for next year …. Even if I did not apply for the psychology course in the cao thing just the arts ??? Wound I be in with any chance

shane,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rorymcn

As far as I know in UCD, If you do psychology in 1st year arts you can't keep it up till 2nd year no matter what- its not offered. NUIG does so maybe look into that, or e-mail UCD as I'm not 100% sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Shane80

rorymcn wrote:
    As far as I know in UCD, If you do psychology in 1st year arts you can't keep it up till 2nd year no matter what- its not offered. NUIG does so maybe look into that, or e-mail UCD as I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks for the help !! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

NUIM you can do psychology as arts, but only 20 students get into second year afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Shane80 wrote:
    Ok , next year I’m doing the leaving cert . But I was wondering about if I done the arts course and done psychology in my first year . And got a very good grade would I be in with a chance of getting a place on the course for next year …. Even if I did not apply for the psychology course in the cao thing just the arts ??? Wound I be in with any chance

shane,
    As far as I know, by going down this route you are still only getting a BA in Arts (majoring in Psychology and another module) as opposed to a BA in Psychology. While I'm not too sure of the ramifications of this, you'd probably have to do an addon degree to attain the same standard of qualification of the BA in Psychology. Of course your best chance to get into a Psychology course is to study hard and get >500 points in your leaving!

When I went to the UCC open day last year, I went to an explanatory lecture about the Psychology course and one of the lecturers that was there was talking about people who don't get enough points for the course, opt for the Arts degree and spend their college life trying to get into the Psychology course. His advice was to just let it go, enjoy college and get a good qualification in another field rather than chase a dream that will never be. I can't say whether I agree with his "advice", but it's straight from the horses mouth so I just thought I'd pass it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Shane80 wrote:

shane,

You can in NUIM, if that's an option. It's a fight to get into 2nd year, top 30 exam results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You can in NUIM, if that's an option. It's a fight to get into 2nd year, top 30 exam results.
    What, a fight to the death?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

10 quatloos on the newcomer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Mortal Kombat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

If you do it in NUIG you can do it as one of your 2 second year choices, but you have to pass all your subjects and get good results in you phsycology.

And btw, you also have to fight to the death, but in Galway the custom is you must fight with spoons, a banana, and six baby hamsters.Naked.
    Twice.

elefant wrote:
    If you do it in NUIG you can do it as one of your 2 second year choices, but you have to pass all your subjects and get good results in you phsycology.

And btw, you also have to fight to the death, but in Galway the custom is you must fight with spoons, a banana, and six baby hamsters.Naked.
    Twice.

That is so untrue. Obviously they use sporks not spoons. Everyone knows that.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

That is so untrue. Obviously they use sporks not spoons. Everyone knows that.:D

You're obviously one of the new-age adrenaline junkies. Sporks are way too dangerous...

Well thats half the fun. A fight to the death without sporks isnt really a fight to the death is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

As far as I know, by going down this route you are still only getting a BA in Arts (majoring in Psychology and another module) as opposed to a BA in Psychology. While I'm not too sure of the ramifications of this, you'd probably have to do an addon degree to attain the same standard of qualification of the BA in Psychology. Of course your best chance to get into a Psychology course is to study hard and get >500 points in your leaving!

AFAIK, you can now only do Psychology in 1st Arts.
    You used to be able to do it along with another subject all the way through (granted you were in the top 20 or whatever) but they stopped that a year or two ago.

Damnit no more serious posting here ¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Actually, question about Arts here. When do you actually choose your subjects for it? Is it in that firs week, the orientation week or what? I pretty much know what I want to do, so its not really a lack of time to think, just wondering really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Think it's about 3 weeks in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

As in this time three weeks(for NUIG anyway) or three weeks after the start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Oh as in you get about 3 weeks to try them all out from when you start! Sorry!

Advertisement