Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muzzles - which to get?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'd go for one of similar design than the two you suggested, but made from leather.

Leather is more plyable and less likely to chafe (hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

Thanks peasant - any idea where I can get them? and how to fit one for her? Not all shops appreciate a hyper pup going in!:rolleyes:
    edit: peasant or any other moderator - may i pm you with your permission? I wish to ask you something and don't think it'd be ok to ask in here without permission. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

The plastic bucket one has a soft leather strip on the nose bit so it doesn't rub the dog too much. It does the job for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

The plastic bucket one would also be easier to clean down after each use.

I bought the plastic one today - was unsure what size to get her so asked the girl behind the counter - a trainee who hadn't a clue. She said if it didn't fit I could bring it back and exchange it. As she is a pup, I decide to get size 6 - suitable for collie dog thinking her snout would be similar size... I was wrong. It is a tad short - had to take out the piece at the front just so her nose wouldn't be squished against it. I'll go back and get a different size tomorrow.
    But just wondering - isn't meant to sit loosely on her snout and allow a good space under her jaw isn't it? Any tips on sizes would be appreciated. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

It should be secure around her head and she should be able to drink water through it. It should move a bit around the snout so she can move her jaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I prefer the nylon ones that allow the dog to stick out its tongue & have a drink.

Mikki is one make. http://www.baumanns.ie/pets/product_info.php?cPath=262&products_id=2191

Also these do not scream DANGEROUS DOG! The basket muzzels are very obvious etc.

I changed the basket for a bigger one and she started howling and jumping around the place like a headless chicken trying to get it off. I went back and changed it for the nylon one like you suggested Bond - she doesn't seem as annoyed but lies down when I first put it on and look up at me and tries to make me feel bad! lol
    I will try to take a pic and show you guys - boy does she try make me feel guilty - as if getting her spayed next week isn't enough. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thats dogs all over - they know just how to tug at the old heart strings! I like the nylon ones as they can pant properly & its not too in your face etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭BeauZak

I prefer the nylon ones that allow the dog to stick out its tongue & have a drink.

Mikki is one make. http://www.baumanns.ie/pets/product_...oducts_id=2191

Also these do not scream DANGEROUS DOG! The basket muzzels are very obvious etc.

If you mean the black nylon muzzles then these can only be used for short periods. They do not allow the dog to breath and regulate temperature. You can try a size up but then it's not secure. They are really grooming muzzles not to be used when walking your dog but sometimes staff in stores do not know this! The plastic baskerville muzzles are excellent. We use these. Remember to take the 10 days to condition your dog to the muzzle. Do not just put it on and expect the dog to be ok with that.

Hope that info helps.

• Advertisement

I find the basket muzzles are too loose on her - she is after all only a pup. The nylon muzzle I have for her is actually a size bigger - Large (according to the packaging GSD is medium size). I have it so she can open her mouth and pant but not put my hand in her mouth. As I am only conditioning her to it, she wears it only when walking up to our local field and its taken off so she can go sniffing. She's ok with it, not fighting it. I praise her regularly when she has it on and of course putting it on and taking it off.
    Will probably wait until she is older before I purchase the basket muzzle - perferably not the one I tried her with to begin with - it was beige and kinda stands out on a black snouted dog! I also want it to be comfortable for her. Anyone know if it is possible to buy one that is "fitted" for your dog - not just by average sizes? And where there are muzzles that aren't so in your face colours?! cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kimkze

Hi
    sorry to jump in on this post, but i have a 5 year old Akita, rescued a few months ago, also needs to be muzzled in public, i've bought about 5 or 6 different style muzzles which all fit correctly around his snout and head...

however, they all seem just that bit too long in the nose, so he always ends up with a little skinned patch on his nose, even the ones that don't have a seam there, although it's probably more to do with the fact that he hates muzzles full stop and tries to spend the entire walk dragging his nose along bushes and grass, and pawing it.

He refuses point blank the cage style ones, just growls & whines, i have no idea why. I've even tried to get him acclimitised around the house, wearing for short times & rewarding, but he just hates it.

Any ideas?

Advertisement