Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding question

Options
  • 07-07-2007 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Over a number of quiet pints a question arose, which we debated at lenght but alas we did not resolve.
    All opinions would be welcomed.
    Let us assume you are travelling at 100kph ( for arguments sake, on the Arklow bypass ). You are passed by a car doing 110kph. The car moves to the left hand lane and continues at 110km. Your speed inadvertantly increases to 110kph to match the car in front and you continue ( at a suitable safe distance ). The car behind you also increases speed, and the one behind that, and so on. All cars in the train are now breaking the speed limit.
    All cars pass a garda speed check.
    The question is ....... Will the all cars be done for speeding or just the lead car?
    As i said earlier this is just idle talk over a pint and i am not advocating speeding.
    Any opinions

BL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

65bl wrote:
    Will the all cars be done for speeding or just the lead car?
    Whichever vehicle the Garda focuses the speed 'gun' at.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

In an urban area where it may be easy and safe to pull in several cars in one go the Gardai may do this. Saw this on Ballymun road once. Two Gardai operating a manned laser checkpoint flagged down at least 4 cars in quick succession and each driver had to queue up and wait for their ticket. I don't know what would have happened if the drivers had asked to see the reading on the gun, surely it would only display the speed of the last car? Or perhaps it can log and store a few speeds.

On a 100 km/h dual carriageway I believe pulling over a few cars like this is a less likely occurence as it would be less practical/safe.

With the old radar guns it probably wan't even possible to target a few cars. Laser is far better and a Garda can aim at a specific small point on your car and determine your speed from hundreds of metres away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I don't think the majority of Guards would do such a thing. Its not very wise considering that they are not driving recklessly or dangeroulsy. Ok he has registered the leading cars speed on the hairdryer, but that is not to say the the other three cars behind were driving at the excat same speed. If I was Number 2,3 or 4 in that queue and he/she gave me a ticket, I make a laughing stock of him in court.

On the other hand if four cars are driving along a stretch of road, safely and a tad over the limit, there should be no reason on earth for them to be pulled over. The chance of them causing an accident at a slightly above the limit speed are very slim however, the chance of an accident happening with four cars, and hair dryer, cop car, cops etc etc on the side of a road may increase to due various reasons. Again the hair dryer system (along with many other methods) doesn't save lives its a statistic builder for the end of the month figures. Again I believe the guards should be properly equipped with the correct vehicles like their conterparts in the UK.

Advertisement