Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with plumber

Options
  • 07-07-2007 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi everyone I am refurbishing a house and ripping my hair out with the plumber. I have been waiting on him to finish his first fix now for almost 2 months.Everything is on hold. My query is this - what position would I be in to tell him to feck off and get someone else? What other plumber would come in and sign off at the end under someone elses work?!no-one.
    So basically this means that plumbers and also electricians have you every which way. What is the solution besides obviously someone else running new pipes. If I say I wont pay them fully because of the delay, they will hardly finish it..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,154 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yip. Tell him to f*ck off.

Moved to DIY

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Get your new plumber to double check everything so he will sign off it off.

tell the first lad to f-off, that you should be charging him for a delay in finishing the job.
    If he persist's then a solicitors letter should sort it out.

Do you think if an extension to Blanchards town shopping center or an AIB branch would put up with it ---NO - so why should you.

Do not pay the first guy unless necessary.
    If you want to - subtract the extra money the second plumber will charge for checking but do not be out of pocket for the whole job.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Just get another plumber in ,don't ask anyone .
    I had to finish a job off that another plumber had started ,last month.

If your worried about it ,keep in mind pipes can be checked and if it's gas that can tested. Also if you want to check any drains ,just run a house through them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭thehotstepper

thanks for the replies. Yeah its really frustrating being stopped everytime you go to do a job or get another trade going on something cos a pipe needs to be run or finished or something. The problem now is anyone else who comes in will charge for testing the pipes. Its gotta be the only solution though. Will also probably have to wait another month for another to actually start.
    The plumbing is less serious but i presume electrics you are kinda ****ed or is it the same story?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

As regards the electrics, no contractor should take on work started by a different contractor without clearing it with either Ecssa or Reci first.

• Advertisement

Sorry ,to add to what eoghan said. I'm actually a registered gas installer ,so it's part of my job to check other peoples work :)

Make sure if you are using gas ,that it's a registered installer. I know a reci electrician also ,hes a reci affiliate ,whatever that means.

Brian would you have to clear it with the RGI first, in case there was an argument over money/other between the customer and initial contractor.
    Or would you just need to satisfy yourself that the customer wasn't screwing over the first guy?

I am a rgi eoghan ,customer would have to pay the original plumber for work done.

I would quote for work from scratch and let the customer do the rest. Letting them know what work is left .

Sorry i seen you're a rgi, I meant the body for registered gas installers, like Ecssa for me.
    A lot of customers don't realise it's often easier/preferable from a tradesmans point of view to start from scratch than to check over half done work and change it where necessary.
    Sorry to hijack your thread hotstepper:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Customers are entitled to change contractors. If you contact RECI, ECSSA or RGI for some issue in relation to safety, that is fair enough.

The industry body has no role in the contractual relationship between customers and contractors. The industry body and the contractor involved would be on very shaky legal ground if they were to obstruct a contractor and customer from dealing with each other for a commercial reason. The customer could sue either or both parties if they suffered a loss as a result. Prosecution is also a possibility.

Of course a contractor can refuse work on ethical grounds, but that's a different thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement