Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pheasants? Quail?

• 07-07-2007 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭

More a hunting question that shooting.

My place overlooks a school sports ground and about two weeks ago the grounds man sanded (helps drainage) and seeded the pitches.

That weekend in the distance, I could see some largish birds, with their heads bobbing up and down, no doubt after the grass seed. I was wondering "Are they Pheasants? Quail?" I wasn't sure - and it would certainly be strange to see them in the middle of Dublin. Because of the grass and the distance, getting a good look was difficult, but I noticed a white collar / breast (See attach pic, with them under the watchful eye of the local magpie mafiosi).

I saw them again over the next few days, including one morning in flight, silhouetted against the sun and based on the long tails I concluded pheasants.

Then the next day I saw them up close - the biggest, fattest wood pigeons I've even seen, nearly the size of domestic hens and about 4 times the size of a typical 'scanger' pigeon. :D

Advertisement